• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chris's toy (Sandtrap1986)

I got the fuel pump mount made and I have used this design on past rigs with great success...

chris-124.jpg

chris-125.jpg

Almost got the E-brake cable mount made and I can start mounting stuff on the frame rail/running fuel line.

So for some reason I thought the thickness of the e-brake cable mount was 1/8". Well with 1/8" thick you can't get the retaining clip on and I needed to build a new one.

So I have no fancy milling machine nor access to one so I used a trick I have in the past but never with steel but it worked out.

I take a flat rasp (gotta be nice and sharp) and set my depth on my drill press. Now this will only with on one thats got large bearings in the head or you will end up with allot of deflection and you will whipe the head out pretty quick.

chris-126.jpg

Thickness of a part of the 1/8" mount.

chris-127.jpg

And what I was able to mill it down to in the area where the clip will sit.

chris-128.jpg

I could have taken more off but if you flatten the clip a hare then it will slip right in and still have enough tension to keep it in place (at least it feels like it).

So I made the rest of the mount and welded it up.

chris-129.jpg

So now its ready to be burned to the frame.

Ok for some reason where I was hosting my pics there was an issue with the images not showing at times so I went and moved them and updated all my post's...

So I had chris order one of these from marlin. Since he went with a gear t-case and this uses a electronic speed system we needed something and Marlin had just what was needed..

chris-130.jpg

So I got the e-brake mount welded on and the frame painted. It turned out perfect..

chris-131.jpg

chris-132.jpg

I got the fuel pump in place and wired. I still have one more piece to finish and the pump can be clamped into place. I also used a generic metal fuel filter for the pre-filter. Its perfect at it slides half way over the fuel pump inlet(overlap) and makes it so it doesn't need a mount and very stable. I am still going with a gm fuel filter inline between the pump and motor.

chris-133.jpg

Speed sensor wired up.

chris-134.jpg

This is turning out real good. Mike, your attention to detail is second to none and threads like this are what inspire me to push it just that little extra bit when I'm working on something. :cool:

:swing:

:fawkdancesmiley:

Mike, you going to do my wiring on my buggy. I just dont have the tools or parts to make it look that clean and work that well. Killer job man!

Awesome build!!!!

This is turning out real good. Mike, your attention to detail is second to none and threads like this are what inspire me to push it just that little extra bit when I'm working on something. :cool:

:swing:

:fawkdancesmiley:

If I can teach somebody something or inspire to do a better job--then I am doing what I set out to :awesomework:

Mike, you going to do my wiring on my buggy. I just dont have the tools or parts to make it look that clean and work that well. Killer job man!

Thanks Nick---love doing wire ups on buggies because they are always so tricky and push my abilities :awesomework:

I got the fuel pump all finished up and the pump fully mounted. I used a portion of the tube I cut for the top portion to keep it fully sandwiched in place.

chris-135.jpg

chris-136.jpg

So time to dig this out and have some real fun...

chris-137.jpg

So here is the method I use for bending my fuel/brake lines--I treat it very much like bending tube for cages/such.

Its all based off measuring and fitment checking.

*note to self---never start bending early in the am till I have had my cup of java--I always seem to get a bend backwards,lol...

chris-138.jpg

Make sure to get a couple good flat measuring tools as that helps a ton for building the line on a counter top....

So prepping to do the fuel system one thing I have done time and again is re-use one of the toy tube nuts that way I can use the stock rubber line that goes from the tank to the frame rail.

chris-139.jpg

Since I run all new 3/8 hardline its a tad bigger than the toy metric tube so drilling the tube nut is required. Make sure to drill from the flared end in case the drill walks the hole to one side.

So here is the trick I use to drill the tube nut. Simply use a deep socked with a breaker bar clamped in a drill vise and makes it super simple..

chris-140.jpg

I always like to use a gm fuel filter when its possible.

chris-141.jpg

In the past I have made a mount similar to the fuel pump mount but I happen to look at the stock fuel filter I pulled off and didn't realize how similar the diameter of the fuel filters were.

Well I'll be damned if it wasn't almost a perfect fit.

chris-142.jpg

So one thing that kinda troubled me with the E2000 pump was the fact the output nipple size was close to 5/16 and the fuel system is 3/8. When I can I really prefer to minimize the amount of rubber line on the pressure size so I came up with an idea..

I happen to have a 3/8 rubber to 3/8 male fitting. I took the fitting and drilled it out to 5/16 and then removed the one barb on the E2000 output fitting. The fitting slid over the other and I soldered them together. I pressure tested it at 160 psi for 3 hours and all is good. So once the fitting is screwed back onto the pump I just gotta put a 3/8 union on the fitting and then right to 3/8 hardline--should work like a champ..

chris-143.jpg

Time to start bending fuel line...

Latest posts