• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chris's toy (Sandtrap1986)

What is a Scotch lock? I got the driver mirror and the tail light plugs

Scotchlok:

scotchlok.png

ok in an emergency.. but crappy for anything that ever sees any moisture or longer use...

Ok here is the flange gaskets that I like to use. The ones on my own rig are about 4 years old, been removed a few times/re-used and never leaked.

chris-169.jpg

For some reason the metric tube nuts to fit the gm stuff (16mmx1.5mm & 14mmx1.5mm) were hard to find on the net so luckily I have a good parts store that always seems to find what I need (smart guys behind the counter).

chris-170.jpg

I got the drivers side header installed.....

chris-171.jpg

So early on I stated we were removing the EGR system and here is the egr tube on the intake side.

chris-172.jpg

I searched and found they make plugs to block the port off on the intake but chose to make my own. I simply plug welded it up and some cleanup work and walla...

chris-173.jpg

So I have been moving along. I looked over the plug wires and figured I would try and make the stock ones work. I had spent some time looking for cut to fit wires for this style of cap and I didn't find anything. I am running MSD cut to fit wires on my rig and love them.

So in order to get the wires to fit you basically have to swap the 2 straight wires(plug end) side to side from stock. I also ended up trimming the ends of the wires to make them fit perfectly. You basically remove the boot at the camp end and uncrimp the crimp. Its tricky and slow going but the end result is perfect fit wires.

chris-174.jpg

chris-175.jpg

chris-176.jpg

I went ahead and did an oil change. As I was pouring the new oil in I found a puddle on the floor. Looked and found it pouring out the back of the valve cover and I can see the rubber gasket shoved back into the head--guess I will be pulling them off and fixing that...

chris-177.jpg

Next I dove into getting the air inlet done up. After some fitment and a run to the store I was ready..

Here is the mount I made that holds the MAF.

chris-178.jpg

chris-179.jpg

I got some 3" PVC Sch 80 pipe and a 3" coupler and went to town. I think it turned out pretty good and should do the job nicely. I also got the wiring all done for the MAF and IAT which finish's off that whole side wiring wise.

chris-180.jpg

chris-181.jpg

Next thing to tackle is the vacuum feed for the brake booster. The nipple on the plenum is 1/2" and the hose on the toy stuff is 3/8". Now you can crimp the 1/2" down to the 3/8" but it looks like ass IMO...

I know there are other methods to handle this but here is how I did it..

Took a 3" long 1/4" chunk of pipe and the ID is absolutely perfect to tap out to 1/8" npt (and I mean perfect). So I simply ground one threaded end and tapped it.

chris-182.jpg

And took a 1/8" npt to 3/8" barbed fitting and walla--perfect adapter,lol.

chris-183.jpg

So I used a portion of the OEM gm hose, took the check valve and moved it to where the clamp was that held the booster hose and trimmed the hose down--and walla--another thing off the list..

chris-184.jpg

Well crud. This thing is ready to start but just realized I am out of cable to build the power feed wire for the starter but thats ok I had to restock my electrical inventory anyways...

So after some other stuff I dug back into this I sat and got the coolers figured out and figured I would get that radiator clearance issue fixed...

chris-185.jpg

There is a little more room to play with now. The sleeve that was used was galvanized so trying to get a good weld on the frame once that portion of the plate was awful. I decided to drill the sleeves out and the box to 1/2" and weld the nut in place since I could get a good bite with that against the frame(nut was a tad bigger than the sleeve).

chris-186.jpg

Yeah I remember some a hole told me to get that galvanized for the hole .....had no idea it would come back to haunt me ....orders for parts requested being processed as we speak....how long till we can fire her up? I will post up for another ignition :(

Yeah I remember some a hole told me to get that galvanized for the hole .....had no idea it would come back to haunt me ....orders for parts requested being processed as we speak....how long till we can fire her up? I will post up for another ignition :(

Hoping to have my shipment of electrical stuff by the end of the week..