• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chris's toy (Sandtrap1986)

I gotta say I am glad Chris decided to go with the rear disk setup because the rears did not sound good rolling the rig back/forth and the backing plates were just beat to ****.

Well it took me a while to get the drums off. One side the shoe lining came off and both drums the retaining pins (hold shoes against backing plate) broke--I didn't care I just destroyed **** to get them off,lol---damn mess..

chris-252.jpg

I built this tool like 15 years ago and it has been its weight worth in gold--saved me hours of work..

chris-253.jpg

Once you remove the backing plate you have a few different options due to the spline length on the retaining studs. You can simply put them back on the bearing cup but the splines will dig into the flange on the axle housing. You can also just grind an 1/8" of the splines off, use some 1/8" washers or use the backing plate and cut a section out of it. I just cut the backing plate and made these--pretty quick with a plasma.

Had I forgotten about removing some of the splines I would have simply done that.

chris-254.jpg

The axle's were a mess too at the WM surface. Toyota in all there glory used paper gaskets between the drum and the flange. This made for a rusty mess and I wanted the rotors to sit perfectly flush. I went ahead and knocked out the studs and polished the flanges up.

chris-255.jpg

All back together and ready.

chris-256.jpg

I got the rear housing stripped of all the little brackets.

chris-257.jpg

I got the upper shock mount made/finished. I went ahead and did a multi holed mount. I wanted to try and new method and came up with this.

chris-258.jpg

And time to get the brake lines done up.

chris-259.jpg

I built this tool like 15 years ago and it has been its weight worth in gold--saved me hours of work..

chris-253.jpg

Your's sure looks alot nicer then mine but same idea. I just had a bent housing and hacked one side off then welded some scrap to it. :redneck:

they work like a charm.

So I installed the calipers and all the brake lines I made up. Since the front is still missing hard lines/brake hoses I plugged the front port at the master and bled the rear brakes. No leaks and good pedal.

chris-262.jpg

chris-263.jpg

chris-264.jpg

chris-265.jpg

So the bed is ready to go back on..

Another busy day. I had a suburban scheduled in for diff work but it got delayed till this evening--so I went ahead and dug into the front shock hoops and I ended up getting both done along with the missing hardlines to the hoses.

chris-266.jpg

chris-267.jpg

I was going to show what it looks like with the new wheels/tires but I will wait till chris comes up to see that first :awesomework:

Oh and no chris I don't need more paint......:awesomework:

Ok I got a chance to get back to things... I got new front brake hoses and got everything finished up and bled the brakes--now has full working brakes.

chris-268.jpg

chris-269.jpg

As soon as Chris gets me shocks I will finish up giving them a lil more support. Chris will need to pull the front apart and clean the front up and probably turn the rotors--badly rusted.

Here are the bling wheels Chris had picked up.

chris-270.jpg

My first concern was the backspacing as they are close to 4" so the distance to the frame is pretty close (too close) which also means the tire will likely dig into the springs pretty good even with 1.5" spacers on front.

Well I drug the other 2 out to put on the front since it was ready--there I ran into a much worse problem and something I didn't think of..

chris-271.jpg

These are more than likely off a later chev and the inner diameter is too small to fit over the hub assembly. So I got to roll them damn things back into storage and dig the other wheels out..

So I didn't let that deter me and kept moving forward.

I threw the hood back on and Chris had dropped off the front bumper so that also went on.

chris-272.jpg

Since the rear was ready I had the neighbor kids come over and hoist the bed back on. Chris had also dropped off some step bumper he wanted thrown on so it would be legal for now--I just had to set it up and drill the frame horns,

chris-273.jpg

chris-274.jpg

I got the tail light wiring all done. I ended up having to go right to the terminals in both plugs since the wiring was melted. There are not lic. lamps so the harness is just roughed in to where the lamps go.

chris-275.jpg

Its been a long time since this truck has had these many parts on it,lol..

So my list is growing short...

Ok I got a chance to get back to things... I got new front brake hoses and got everything finished up and bled the brakes--now has full working brakes.

chris-268.jpg

chris-269.jpg

As soon as Chris gets me shocks I will finish up giving them a lil more support. Chris will need to pull the front apart and clean the front up and probably turn the rotors--badly rusted.

Yeah I figured that would happen shitty thing is they were brand new

Latest posts