• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chris's toy (Sandtrap1986)

So next I decided to go ahead and concentrate on the rear of the rig and try to get most of it done since thats where most of the metal work is left..

Started by pulling that damn height perportioning valve and line thats tied into the front circuit out.

chris-105.jpg

So the rear axle is way too forward. So I yanked that out to redo the spring/shackle mounts.

chris-106.jpg

Another plus with removing the rear axle is getting the fuel tank issue fixed. The original intention was to run a fuel cell but it really wasn't the best choice for this setup. So me and chris discussed it and came to the conclusion to just put a stock tank back in. Unfortunately they had cut the back mount off but I can rebuild it.

chris-107.jpg

I also got a part of the rear harness changed and mounted.

chris-108.jpg

Another plus with removing the rear axle is getting the fuel tank issue fixed. The original intention was to run a fuel cell but it really wasn't the best choice for this setup. So me and chris discussed it and came to the conclusion to just put a stock tank back in. Unfortunately they had cut the back mount off but I can rebuild it.

How about a Ford tank? There is a ton of info out on Pirate about the various models and sizes but for the most part either the rear tank out of a Truck's two tank system or the tank from an E250 seem to be the popular choices. Both fit between the frame rails and with the bed on only hang below the frame a few inches.

Just something to ponder...

Mike you wanna re-wire my 4runner, the wiring on this thing is so clean. :awesomework:

I LOVE wiring---will have an open spot by mid winter as its going :D

How about a Ford tank? There is a ton of info out on Pirate about the various models and sizes but for the most part either the rear tank out of a Truck's two tank system or the tank from an E250 seem to be the popular choices. Both fit between the frame rails and with the bed on only hang below the frame a few inches.

Just something to ponder...

Ya I have seen that and they are over 20 gallons if I remember. We have this tank so thats what we will use :D

Can I get that part number for the brake stuff Mike... And should I just get the trail gear extended brake line kit? And the hard lines they sell?

Can I get that part number for the brake stuff Mike... And should I just get the trail gear extended brake line kit? And the hard lines they sell?

Brake hose is a napa #38256 (19" long) and should do the trick.

Brake hardline is just metric (10.00mm x 1.00mm)

Let me know as I can grab the hardline..

So I got the cross bar cleaned of the old left over mount.

chris-109.jpg

So I went ahead and simply duplicated the stock mount.

chris-110.jpg

Test fitted the tank (gotta pull it back out to get the springs done) and it fits perfect..

chris-111.jpg

Pulled the fuel pump assembly out.

chris-112.jpg

Pulled the pump and modified it..

chris-113.jpg

Now to get the spring issue finished up but first I gotta fix this problem on both sides of the frame so I have someplace to put the shackle mount..

chris-114.jpg

So I really had a chance to look over the frame ends and boy they were a mess.

I finally came up with a plan and started chopping. I finally got them all trimmed up and prepped.. I ended up removing the vertical portion of the frame due to it being bent in a u at the bottom and I wanted to go ahead and run it to the end of the frame.

chris-115.jpg

And here is the end result.

chris-116.jpg

chris-117.jpg

I ended up using 1/4" material mainly due to the gaps. Had they not had been cut as they were I would have used 3/16 or even 1/8" material.

I also found that both frame ends had a funny twist to them right at the rear cross member so if you look from behind you could easily see it and thats after I did some work to get them straight.

They turned out all right but I with I could have seen the twist in them before so I could have tried to take it out.

Next--these gotta go...

chris-118.jpg

What a pain in the ---you know what..... But I finally got them both removed and the frame rails prepped..

chris-119.jpg

So next its time to get the back sitting under its own weight again..

So I got up early and started getting the rear all jigged up. I went and double checked my measurements on the bed again and got the rear axle just where I wanted it..

chris-120.jpg

chris-121.jpg

Got the hangers buzzed in and all painted and the springs thrown in.

chris-122.jpg

I gotta build shackles for it next as soon as I get more material...

I got the tank mount painted and brake line bent into place. So the tank is finally in for good and I started making the pump mount.

chris-123.jpg