• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chris's toy (Sandtrap1986)

Mark finally got a chance to finish up the I-shaft and turned out perfect.

chris-248.jpg

Some really good/hot metal burning and some paint and all good.

chris-249.jpg

chris-250.jpg

So I hooked up the drag link and fired it off and the steering feels really good so that can be scratched off the list.

Here are the driveshaft measurements Chris..

Front 42 1/8" Make sure its as thin as possible for clearance against the tranny pan.

Rear is 53 1/2"

This thing is "this" close to be ready for exhaust.

Here is the radiator Chris had for the project. I am not sure who's it is but it was made for this conversion.

chris-70.jpg

Here is the cooling fan I had Chris get. Its the same one I have been running for years and never ever had a cooling issue--it really moves some good air...

chris-71.jpg

Nice thing about this radiator is its very similar to mine and made mounting the fan a piece of cake...

chris-72.jpg

POS connector--I cut this thing off and threw it at out cat....

chris-73.jpg

I used sealed connectors for the fan..

chris-74.jpg

Fitment of the rad was nice "except" I have a clearance issue with one of the steering box bolts since the inside of the frame is plated with 1/4" for the box. I will have to fix that later.

chris-75.jpg

I have been reading through this thread and your work looks second to none. I am curious on this radiator if you would be able to find out what it came out of. I have the same engine in my 4runner and the fan smashed the radiator. Now im looking at options for a replacement. Also some info on the fan as well. Thanks :beer:

So I ran the motor for close to an hour to make sure of no coolant leaks. I always run with water first since if there is a problem them its allot less mess. So no leaks and the radiator is very efficient and the coolant fan works like it should so I drain/filled it like 3 times to get the system cleaned out as best as I could and then added coolant. It will need a good coolant flush after its been on the road for a while.

But the original plan was to use a lokar dipstick for the motor and chris had asked if I could make the stock one work. Well I know its possible.

To make it fit I ended up removing a portion of the tube below the sealing point at the block. I did this with mine and never has been an issue but its the only way to get it into the motor with the heading in place.

So after doing that and reworking the tube I got it all to fit nicely. The only issue is its a lil snug to get the dipstick down the tube because of the bends but its only a matter of being patient with it.

chris-231.jpg

So another one to scratch off the list as done...

what was the part number for the lokar dip stick? cant seem to find one that is application specific?????

I have been reading through this thread and your work looks second to none. I am curious on this radiator if you would be able to find out what it came out of. I have the same engine in my 4runner and the fan smashed the radiator. Now im looking at options for a replacement. Also some info on the fan as well. Thanks :beer:

But....Had a Ron Davis Rad with a Spal 16" fan on it from Ron Davis....That the fan never worked from day ONE....But gave Spal the benefit of the dought!!!!so bought a 16" Spal fan with curved blades and I'm happy so far!!!! Just saying that you can get a bad fan here and there!!!:awesomework:

So Chris stopped off some more stuff. He had picked up a used rear disc setup. So I turned the rotors and looked over the calipers--they were badly rusted/junk. So I grabbed a new pair, pads and hoses/hardline to get it done up.

chris-251.jpg

So next I started working on getting the shocks figured out. I have always been a big fan of the Bilstein's and I have used the 5125's before with great success.

For the rear since I have plenty of room to play with the 12" stroke will be perfect.

For the front I can set the shock at ride height at 25-26.5" so a 14" stroke is really looking like the choice from compression/extension..

Anybody know what size hole the bushing on the bilstein shocks is?

Here are the driveshaft measurements Chris..

Front 42 1/8" Make sure its as thin as possible for clearance against the tranny pan.

Rear is 53 1/2"

This thing is "this" close to be ready for exhaust.

Ride height lengths?

How thin does he need on the front? Where does it need to be thin?