• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

CTM 40 Spline or RCV's in a 14 Bolt Hybrid???

Why run 2" shafts when you have neck them down to 40 spline why not get 300m regular rockwell axles and mill them down?

Bigshowdawg said:
Why run 2" shafts when you have neck them down to 40 spline why not get 300m regular rockwell axles and mill them down?

To keep the side gear of the detroit from being too weak. And also give some relief to the center section. I dont think a 14 would handle 2" Id rather break a shaft.
My main reason is cost and function . 2" axles are by far cheaper than the 4k for the CTMS. I can buy 2 sets of OEM's vs 1 set of CTM's plus have one big ass indestructable violator.
Hell I wouldnt mind necking both down to 1 3/4 40 or 41 spline. Then the hubs from Solid would be twice as cheap as the OEM super 8.

This a quote from pirate "I was talking with Scott Morris this weekend at the indy show he has been running the **** out of his 80/rocks and loves them 1 3/4 inner and 2 outter with arb's. running about 800-900hp 46 claws for racing and 49 play has broke 3 t-cases so sounds like the axles are holding up. He now has the bling OEM knuckles but no r&p trouble broke a ctm shaft back at ttc but thats about it in the axles." Hes up to Atlas 6 now.

Also heard King Slings were necked down also but i couldnt find the post to verify it.

ryannuttz said:
So what is the advantage to running their shafts? Are ppl. breaking the cross/body of the ctms?

I think it has a lot to do with the metal Spidertrax uses and there Heat and treat Process. Same goes for CTM 300m shafts. Last time I talked to Jack which was about a month ago he told me he hadn't had anybody break a newer CTM. He said people were breaking the older ones and he beefed up the cross on the newer ones. I worry about my R&P way more than I worry about my axle shafts and there has been a few times that I have had over 150lbs of water in each tire!!

Cole said:
I think it has a lot to do with the metal Spidertrax uses and there Heat and treat Process. Same goes for CTM 300m shafts.

That why they so much higher? (doing it the proper way)

You guys that are pushing the limits of axle strength have you considered the fact that once you spend a million dollars on bombproof axles you're going to start breaking t-cases and transmissions? I don't know about you but I'd much rather deal with a broken shaft or u-joint on the trail that probably has a lifetime warranty or I can at least replace much cheaper/easier than blowing up an Atlas. You bust an Atlas or trans on the trail and you're going to have your thumb up your ass for the next few weeks unless you live next to AA. Also, get your wallet out that ain't a cheap break.

redneckengineered said:
You guys that are pushing the limits of axle strength have you considered the fact that once you spend a million dollars on bombproof axles you're going to start breaking t-cases and transmissions? I don't know about you but I'd much rather deal with a broken shaft or u-joint on the trail that probably has a lifetime warranty or I can at least replace much cheaper/easier than blowing up an Atlas. You bust an Atlas or trans on the trail and you're going to have your thumb up your ass for the next few weeks unless you live next to AA. Also, get your wallet out that ain't a cheap break.

Don't run a Atlas but instead run a SCS drop box. I think that with the axles that I listed in a previous post (C103's) with the 2 inchers and a SCS box the weak links have been elininated. From that point you will start breaking stupid **** like chassis parts.

redneckengineered said:
At what point are you building a monster truck? :****:

Think about it though. The axles are lighter than a 14 bolt front, stronger and the SCS box is lighter and stonger than an Atlas. Looks like a hell of a combination to me for someone who wants to beat the **** out of it and drink beer instead of turning wrenches. At least that's what I would rather do. thumb.gif

Those parts will cause the rig to become big and heavy thus making them break also! DO you think a monster truck would break if TC drove it up cable?

I like watching the southern wheeling videos but I don't see anything holding up long too the abuse those boys throw down!!

what about the brandix 40 spline shafts on pirate? anyone run them? they seem to be priced alot more reasonable

Blase said:
Those parts will cause the rig to become big and heavy thus making them break also! DO you think a monster truck would break if TC drove it up cable?

I like watching the southern wheeling videos but I don't see anything holding up long too the abuse those boys throw down!!

A C103 axle with the 2 inch Ouversons is lighter than a 14 bolt front like everyone is running. The drop box is also lighter than a atlas.

YOUNG said:
A C103 axle with the 2 inch Ouversons is lighter than a 14 bolt front like everyone is running. The drop box is also lighter than a atlas.

That's what Gerstner says but I have some doubts. I recently weighed a bare front rock housing with just lower link mounts and knuckles on it and it came in at 217 lbs. That's no chunk or anything. I haven't weighed the 14-bolts or d80's that I have in the shop. I will on Mon. But just from lifting them I would say that they are much less than the rockwell without gears in them.

Think about it. Virtually every component in a C103 (except the pinion) is bigger and stronger than a 14-bolt. It just doesn't make sense that you can put rockwell outers on it to magically make it lighter than doing the same to a 14-bolt.

J. J.

B Gillespie said:
What is the point when you live in Vernon? :dunno:

To pull hay trailers around and chase jack rabbits across the field. Other than that not much I guess....LOL.
Hell as long as it has taken to get my bruiser together it will prob take me another 5 years to get these axles under my other buggy.

patooyee said:
That's what Gerstner says but I have some doubts. I recently weighed a bare front rock housing with just lower link mounts and knuckles on it and it came in at 217 lbs. That's no chunk or anything. I haven't weighed the 14-bolts or d80's that I have in the shop. I will on Mon. But just from lifting them I would say that they are much less than the rockwell without gears in them.

Think about it. Virtually every component in a C103 (except the pinion) is bigger and stronger than a 14-bolt. It just doesn't make sense that you can put rockwell outers on it to magically make it lighter than doing the same to a 14-bolt.

J. J.

Not a stock 14 bolt, but one of the 14's that have been sleeved(over the stock tubes) like Coleworks runs. The tubes on those are like 4-5"

What axles is TC going to now? As HORSEPOWER and TORQUE go up the more **** is going to break. Just think about the about the Horsepower and Torque difference in the last 5 years? booyang A kickass motor 5 years is now just average one. Everybody is stepping up their game :driving:. The question that I keep asking myself is,"Where will we be in another 5 years?" :dunno:

YOUNG said:
Not a stock 14 bolt, but one of the 14's that have been sleeved(over the stock tubes) like Coleworks runs. The tubes on those are like 4-5"

Ah, I can see that then.

J. J.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483536&page=2

dynatrac-prorock-80-axle.jpg