• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cube Life

money_pit_yj

I got a new job. I am in a cubicle all day, and I have figured out I am the cousin Eddy of my office. My last job was in an old Coop store that reeked of chemicals and rat turds. It was laid back when we were not busy and WFO when we were busy. Some days I would be wrenching on an old spreader truck and somedays I would be in the office negotiating deals with our CEO and fuel contractors and some days I would put 300 miles on my truck within 5 counties. Now I am in an office complex that is always 72 degrees and has white noise playing over speakers to help soothe us. Same amount of activity no matter if we are busy or not. I love my new job, I am just not used to the surroundings, or what I have dubbed "The Cube Life". Eventually I will be out on the road, but I have a bunch of work to do to get myself where I can travel, so until then I am going to share my Cube Life stores.

If you live the cube life, share your exciting tales of corporate adventures with all of us! :rolf:

First 1:

I get on Hardline to see whats going down, I am on the General Discussion page and my boss pops his head in my cubicle. I have a huge monitor so you can see exactly what I was doing and he sees (out of a whole page of topics) "Side Boob Thread 35% NSFW", and now I have to spend 15 minutes explaining how a forum works and that you only see that if you want to go to it and I try to stay out of that particular thread. :cougar:

I work for the department of defense and was in welding for 10 years. Last Feb, I got a job in planning at the same location. I sit at a desk all day reviewing schedules and ordering tank parts. The environment from the welding shop to a office job, is completely different. I really have to watch what I say now, we all know what "shop talk" is. Anyways, I have two computer monitors, one stays on my work and the other stays on hardline all day. thumb.gif

Eddyj said:
I spent two years of hard time working for AT&T's website.

Watch The movie office space.

Milton is still looking for his red Swingline stapler in the basement. :rolf:

Get one of those removable screen protectors like banks use for "security reasons" that way you can browse as you please while not showing exactly what you are looking at until the protector is removed.

Being in the "Cube" all day can make for a LOOOOONG work day. Unless you stay busy it can be brutal :****:

DallasBlade said:
I work for the department of defense and was in welding for 10 years. Last Feb, I got a job in planning at the same location. I sit at a desk all day reviewing schedules and ordering tank parts. The environment from the welding shop to a office job, is completely different. I really have to watch what I say now, we all know what "shop talk" is. Anyways, I have two computer monitors, one stays on my work and the other stays on hardline all day. thumb.gif

Pretty similar with what I do with the department of defense. Started out as a Mechanic then came to the parts side of the house. Just the folks the Mechanics bitch about now. Always waiting on parts. I do get to get out of my cubical pretty regularly and hit the floor to check on my parts guys. Even dug me a golf cart out of DRMO (scrap yard) to beat around on.

I work outside now but, trying to get a job at a steel mill near home. Not a cubicle, but will be a change if I do get it.

Re:

I started out in this Honda Warehouse as a floor grunt but have moved into the computer thing for the last 7 years. I'm the inventory admin.

We have to access the Honda web so what I do is just keep about three or four tabs open with different car **** on them that I'm looking at but also keep the Honda web up so I can do a quick switch if need be.

For the most part no one gives me **** because they know I can talk **** right back and I'm basically becoming "the guy" everyone goes to when the **** hits the fan. I know how to resolve problems and not act like a little whiny bitch doing so.

When floor Associates try to talk **** about me sitting at my desk all day long I just remind them that they pay me for what I know not what I do.

Lesson 2: Ate a big lunch my first Friday to celebrate surviving my first week. 1 hour later I was lulled into a daze reading my TPS reports (Thats a Office Space Joke) and let out a fart that was both loud and horribly awful smelling. Nothing has been or was said but there is no doubt anyone within 20' of my desk smelt it, and may have felt the heat off of it. Dont fart in a cubicle.

Re:

There are two other supervisors on my shift and we take turns farting in the person's chair that we hate the most on day shift.

We are high brow classy folk. ;)

Working the cubicle life here as well at a Civil engineering/Planning firm. Learned the sounds of footsteps very quickly. Also figured out that frantic clicking as someone approaches is suspicious.

The thing that kills me is I am a very social person so I hear alot of BS conversations that I want to stand up and walk over to participate in....

People that use speakerphone while working in cubicles are the devil... I dont care to hear all about your work problems or you planning a lunch meeting with someone....

ridered3 said:
Get one of those removable screen protectors like banks use for "security reasons" that way you can browse as you please while not showing exactly what you are looking at until the protector is removed.

That wouldn't have helped where I was a Manufacturing engineer for 13yrs. I had my own office, but the boss-man had everyone's computer tapped so he could look at them wherever he was, at work, home, or on his biz trips. I got called to the big mans office a few times.

I don't really work in a cubicle, but a 12x20 room with 4 desks in it, not divided. Shipping department only consists of 4 of us, 2 on days and 2 on nights (2nd shift) and I am one of the guys on 2nd shift. There's only 4 of us here for the first 1.5 hours I am here, then the 2 dayshift guys go home, so it gets a little more peaceful. I am under very little supervision and my computer faces away from the entry door so I can see anyone coming in. My night is about 60/40 as in 60% in the office, 40% in the shop just outside the door boxing up small packages or building crates for larger items. After I package up an item, I go into the office to run paperwork on it and book transportation. I also handle transportation arrangements for all the other big trucks that load out of our skid areas in other departments of the plant that has dedicated crews for loading and unloading. This job is great for me and I was lucky to have been working it when I wrecked my bike and lost my leg, as it was a fairly easy job to come back to since I am standing up and sitting down intermittently, gives me a chance to rest the ole leg. Sometimes when we are busy I am out in the shop more than I am in the office, but here lately it's been more like 25% shop work and the other 75% sitting on my ass. It all pays the same regardless. I enjoy what I do because every day is different. Being in the energy field, I am constantly dealing with emergency requests for parts to ship asap to power plants that are down or in forced outtages, so the urgency keeps it interesting. Also deal with some haz-mat shipments, mostly flammable resin or corrosive epoxy hardeners, but other types arise occasionally as well.

Anyways, kinda got to rambling there, but it's nice not being a dedicated cubicle dweller, but I wouldn't mind at all to have a dedicated cubicle job should it pay more and offer equal/better benefits. When I finish school, I am hoping I can land an opening in the office here at work, but if nothing developes within the first few years after graduation, I may start looking at other opportunities in either Chattanooga, TN or Huntsville, AL - both cities are exactly 1 hour from where I live. Right now it's only 15 minutes from my house to work, so I'd like to maintain that with a better paying job one day if possible.