• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cube Life

I went from driving a forklift for 4 years on a lumber yard, to inside sales at the lumber yard, to a desk in a cubical talking on the phone all day. Some days i miss the forklift i really do. At the lumber yard i could get away more we used to launch paper stingers at each other across the office, stress balls, CO2 cans made an appearance but after someone got blistered on their ass from it that got shut down. Now i have to watch what i say (lumber yards are just as back about "shop talk"). luckily my customers and i meshed well so i can crack jokes just cant crack them all.

First job was in an open office environment and the second was cube life.

Get screen protectors for your monitor. Saves lots of headache.
Get good headphones. Even if you dont listen to anything or even have them plugged in, people will leave you alone.
Get a mouse with extra buttons and reprogram one to either minimize your current screen or to swap to another work approved application.
Dont put your cell phone on the company wifi since everything you do is monitored on the work machine.

That being said I built a cover for my cubicle so I could work in the dark. Complained about headaches from the lights for a few weeks then built the cover one weekend and other than a WTF comment from the CEO no one said anything. Kept nosy people away and no one could see me doing anything.

The grind is killer but make friends with whomever would have the leftovers from breakfast/lunch meetings. They will email/call you about it before the hordes find out about free food.

Starting rumors is also hugely entertaining if you can distance yourself as the source.

You never realize how many times you fart throughout the day, until you have an office job or cube job and try to hold it in.

collinmaune said:
You never realize how many times you fart throughout the day, until you have an office job or cube job and try to hold it in.

No joke. I like to crop dust people, then watch them blame the people next to them.

I hate being in the front office, period. I hate being around that type in that scenario. Outside of that scenario, party on. For me, it was the **** being in the shop, until Monday. Monday they put 2 cameras up in the shop. Granted, the shop is HUGE, and a trailer parked just so or a ladder placed just right obscures the view, but give it an hour or two and the boss is calling telling me to move it.

Either poison you pick, the struggle is the same. LOOK BUSY! :****:

5BrothersFabrication said:
I hate being in the front office, period. I hate being around that type in that scenario. Outside of that scenario, party on. For me, it was the **** being in the shop, until Monday. Monday they put 2 cameras up in the shop. Granted, the shop is HUGE, and a trailer parked just so or a ladder placed just right obscures the view, but give it an hour or two and the boss is calling telling me to move it.

Either poison you pick, the struggle is the same. LOOK BUSY! :****:

A camera is no bueno.

Cameras are a two way street. They can save your ass or burn it, if you are doing your job then don't worry about it. Your boss will probably forget about them in a month or so.

For 3 years I worked 5 feet from a dude named Steve, then 5 feet past him was the other Steve. Steve, Steve and lee. We had these tiny office things with their own doors and hvac units, but connecting windows so farts would draft really bad. Then they made a open office environment, one big room. 5 foot away steve's wife opened up random credit cards pretty regularly. 10foot away Steve moved to panama the country. I was around them 9-11 hrs a day 5-6 days a week. I was glad to get away but damn those were some good times. Good luck.

Conversation I overheard from one of the neighbors in the building (I was talking on phone and they were smoking outside)

Guy 1: You ever figure out what was going on with the back door situation and why it was being used so frequently?
Guy 2: Of course, It was Randy, Mike and Debby and their little group letting folks in the back door. She started this whole thing when she first showed those guys how it works going in through the back now they all do it. I mean I totally understand, I tried it a few times as well, but the standard entry method has always worked best for me and my crew.
Guy 1: We should write a policy that prohibits back end access just to screw with them. Make them do everything in the front like everyone else then they will see it is more efficient and cleaner not having to tiptoe through all the barriers and fire walls.
Guy 2: I don't want to do That. Debby showed me when she first started it why she did everything in the back. I thought she would see she was the only one who liked it that way and would fall in line but apparently some guys have been watching and Debby just makes a strong case for back door entry. Her programming skill are stellar....blah blah blah blah blah

I quit listening but I seriously lol out loud and had to look at my phone and say "man your e crazy, I will call you back" (phone call had been done) I feel immature and adolescent for laughing at that but I just cant help it :dunno: They are some kind of software company. The programmers come to work in pajamas and all kinds of crazy stuff and the bosses all drive $80k+ cars. Haven't met Debby yet molaugh

money_pit_yj said:
Conversation I overheard from one of the neighbors in the building (I was talking on phone and they were smoking outside)

Guy 1: You ever figure out what was going on with the back door situation and why it was being used so frequently?
Guy 2: Of course, It was Randy, Mike and Debby and their little group letting folks in the back door. She started this whole thing when she first showed those guys how it works going in through the back now they all do it. I mean I totally understand, I tried it a few times as well, but the standard entry method has always worked best for me and my crew.
Guy 1: We should write a policy that prohibits back end access just to screw with them. Make them do everything in the front like everyone else then they will see it is more efficient and cleaner not having to tiptoe through all the barriers and fire walls.
Guy 2: I don't want to do That. Debby showed me when she first started it why she did everything in the back. I thought she would see she was the only one who liked it that way and would fall in line but apparently some guys have been watching and Debby just makes a strong case for back door entry. Her programming skill are stellar....blah blah blah blah blah

I quit listening but I seriously lol out loud and had to look at my phone and say "man your e crazy, I will call you back" (phone call had been done) I feel immature and adolescent for laughing at that but I just cant help it :dunno: They are some kind of software company. The programmers come to work in pajamas and all kinds of crazy stuff and the bosses all drive $80k+ cars. Haven't met Debby yet molaugh

So you have not went to the back door? Hahaha

I have realized, my snapping point one day is going to be the person, that touches my computer screens one too many times. Also, you have to just get up and walk away when people you don't like hang around and talk too long.

Re: Re: Cube Life

DallasBlade said:
I have realized, my snapping point one day is going to be the person, that touches my computer screens one too many times. Also, you have to just get up and walk away when people you don't like hang around and talk too long.
Eye to eye man.....Eye to freakin' eye.