• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Custom H1 Inserts- HDPE

bbtank45

Under Construction
Just curious if anyone has used HDPE to make their own inserts for H1's....

1) Will a stick of HDPE with an 18" OD X 16.826" ID or 18" OD X 15.755" ID work for these inserts?

2) I will be running a set of skinny boggers (38.5" x 11").......what width have you guys used to cut these inserts into?

Kind of a newb question, but i appreciate any responses.

thanks

Re: Re: Custom H1 Inserts- HDPE

Pretty sure you need a bigger id than 15.77"

do you have a set of h1 wheels already?

I'm picking up a set next week and will be looking into cheaper options for inserts than $50/ea PVC

For a cheap & lightweight option just cut down the stock mag. run-flats. Knock the side "fins" off with a hammer, use a sawzall with a wood blade to cut the center ridge, and smooth everything out with a flap wheel.

They only weight a few pounds each once cut down & are still plenty strong.

Only took me a couple of hours to cut down (5) complete run flats.

Jeremy

Attachments

• 20121210_202817_resized_3.jpg
    20121210_202817_resized_3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 178
Re: Re: Custom H1 Inserts- HDPE

TBItoy said:
Pretty sure you need a bigger id than 15.77"

do you have a set of h1 wheels already?

I'm picking up a set next week and will be looking into cheaper options for inserts than $50/ea PVC

Yeah i actually have a set of 12 bolt's (still need to recenter).....i can get my hands on some of this HDPE pretty easily so im thinking that will be the route i want to go. Would 7" be the right width to cut them too?.............im a virgin to h1's

bobo said:
For a cheap & lightweight option just cut down the stock mag. run-flats. Knock the side "fins" off with a hammer, use a sawzall with a wood blade to cut the center ridge, and smooth everything out with a flap wheel.

They only weight a few pounds each once cut down & are still plenty strong.

Only took me a couple of hours to cut down (5) complete run flats.

Jeremy

you could even drill some holes in them to lighten them up more. How do the 2 halfs bolt together?

For custom width or different diameter wheels, I think the HPE/PVC si the way to go. Alot lighter then angle iron inserts.

I found 2 different sizes that might work:

- 18" HDPE IPS Press Pipe, DR32.5: 16.826" ID @ ~13lb/ft
- 16" HDPE DIPS, DR32.5: 16.264" ID @ ~12.5 lb/ft

Not really sure where to source a few feet or cost.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Custom H1 Inserts- HDPE

bbtank45 said:
Yeah i actually have a set of 12 bolt's (still need to recenter).....i can get my hands on some of this HDPE pretty easily so im thinking that will be the route i want to go. Would 7" be the right width to cut them too?.............im a virgin to h1's

You would need to measure the bead thickness on your tire to know what width to cut them to.

There is a "flange" to bolt the (2) halves together.

I still have my wheels disassembled. When I get home I will get a picture of the "flange" and will measure what the wheels to see what the size ID HDPE pipe might work.

Jeremy

I did the same and cut the mag inserts down and smoothed them out, I wouldn't have thought they'd weighed a couple pounds at the most, not to mention CHEAP.

The picture is the "flange" that bolts that halves together.

Also measured the OD of the inner shell of my wheels at ~15.75". I would say you would need pipe with a 16" ID at a minimum.

Also getting the plastic pipe inserts into & out of the tire is a PITA. :****:

Attachments

• 20130131_200508_resized (1).jpg
    20130131_200508_resized (1).jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 153
What is the purpose of cutting off the fins? By cutting off the fins but leaving the flanges, you surely aren't going to use it as a true runflat, correct? That would give you two spots that would make your rig jump ;D

You have to cut the "run-flat" portion of the insert off so it does not damage your tires when you are aired down on the trails. You are correct that it is no longer a run-flat. Its now just an insert that locks the bead of the tire to the wheel.

Got to leave the flanges so you can bolt the halves back together.

I saved all of the pieces I cut off for some camp fire fun ;D

bobo said:
You have to cut the "run-flat" portion of the insert off so it does not damage your tires when you are aired down on the trails. You are correct that it is no longer a run-flat. Its now just an insert that locks the bead of the tire to the wheel.

just add water :****:

I am using some HDPE that is 16.75 or there abouts. What I would suggest is to mount your tires up, then separate one half so you can mark the inside of your rim where your tire is, then remount the side you separated, then repeat for the other side. The reason I am suggesting this is because different tires have different size needs. The mag inserts are good if that is what came with the rims but if you can get the HDPE I would use that. Hope this helps.
I am not using H1 rims but mine are 7 inch wide.

ID - 16" measured From the internal ribs
OD - 17.25" measured to outside of aluminum rub ring

These are cut down mag. runflats.

bobo said:

Makes sense. Thanks!

When making new inserts, you have to match the angle of the bead for the 16.5s, correct? What degree seat is that?

Subscribed...... I have an upcoming build using H1's................ Good reference thumb.gif

jordan7118 said:
Makes sense. Thanks!

When making new inserts, you have to match the angle of the bead for the 16.5s, correct? What degree seat is that?

The lip on stock run flats where they contact the tire are not angled. Look at the pictures above.

Not sure why you would want to angle them but if you want me to measure the angle I will dig out my ole angle jigger and get you a number.