• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

dana 300 tc poppet ball/spring

MuleSkinner1399

MuleSkinner II
I have a leak on my DANA 300. :fish:
She also jumps out of gear when coasting down hill
i have the gasket kit and new ball and spring.

What do I have to do to get the shift rods out? I hope I dont have to take too much apart in the TC .I have the TC out, im ready to replace the gaskets (hopefully fix leak) and replace the ball/springs.

Any advise is appreciated!

there is a allen head set screw inside on both the shift forks. you can get to them with the bottom oil pan removed. then you can rotate the shift rod about 90 degrees and pull them out. if you leave the interlock pins between the shift rods out, you can get 2wd rear low and front wheel only low

If your case has a 32 spline rear output popping out is common heavy spring helps also some slightly grind the detent in the rod deeper.

fabricator1 said:
there is a allen head set screw inside on both the shift forks. you can get to them with the bottom oil pan removed. then you can rotate the shift rod about 90 degrees and pull them out. if you leave the interlock pins between the shift rods out, you can get 2wd rear low and front wheel only low

I cant get the damn things out. It wont hardly let me rotate them. The allen heads are lose, ball and spring off.. I want to get the rod out so i can notch it a bit

There is a interlock pin / pill between the shift rails to prevent 2wd front low in factory form. The rails need to be in the correct spot to get them out. I can not remember off hand but you can feel it stop moving. Try to only remove one rail at a time with the pin in the detent.
Also the rail needs to slide out of the shift fork and not get cocked.

They have to be in the right position (so the pill is in one of the forks) and the other fork rod will turn and slide out. Take the low switch out also!

Its a bear to gettm sometimes even tho doing it all right, i did mine with 4:1 kit new rails,detent ball and spring upgradetwin shifters and notched mine as well to have control over any gear, stick it out youll love it once done..... I used JB conversion for my info

al1tonyota said:
They have to be in the right position (so the pill is in one of the forks) and the other fork rod will turn and slide out. Take the low switch out also!

This may be a dumb question:

what do you mean by low switch?

Latest posts