• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 300 vs toy tcase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stan, if you are making your own adapter, looks like this guy in the seattle area already has shafts made up that will go from toybox to the d300. Its not what he intended them for but i think it might work. Heat treated 4340 blah,blah. Not sure if their long enough but it will be nice to just get an off the self part for your project. I am not sure if the spline angle is the same though???
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451754

sucmah said:
flip a ford 205(same pattern as 300) and twin stick that. Or I think the newer chevy 205's with the round pattern(not figure 8) are also 300 pattern. QUOTE]
Yes both of those cases share the same bolt pattern as the 300 but would require a clocking ring. Also the Ford is a 31 spline input while the GM case came with quite a veriety of inputs but none are 23. I assume that's what would be coming out of the Toy case?

Binder said:
sucmah said:
flip a ford 205(same pattern as 300) and twin stick that. Or I think the newer chevy 205's with the round pattern(not figure 8) are also 300 pattern. QUOTE]
Yes both of those cases share the same bolt pattern as the 300 but would require a clocking ring. Also the Ford is a 31 spline input while the GM case came with quite a veriety of inputs but none are 23. I assume that's what would be coming out of the Toy case?

Actualy dodge used a 23 spline unput behind all automatics. And you can swap this input into any small bearing 205 case. And this is a male input. Depending on the length of the input shaft on the dodge case you may be able to do a thin adapter and just bolt up the 205 to the toybox

no excuses said:
Jason, how are the stock gears holding up, not planing on a 4-1 gear set. I am running dual stock toy cases now and am happy withthe gearing that I have with a auto tranny.

Stock gears are fine... and for the most part so are the 4 to 1's. generally when they have broken it has been in a heavy ass rig with a fair amount of power or rig abuser. If someone is to run a 4 to 1 I suggest using a synthetic oil since all the parts are spinning a bit faster. when you put in a 4 to 1 what you have done is amplified the torqueload to the outputs. more load on them means more possibility of breakage. when you put a doubler case in front of the 300 your doing the same thing. yeas the gears will be stornger but you will be displacing more load on the outputs so if you do this (depending on how agressive of a driver you are) you may want to think of doing at least the rear output upgrade. this also depends on the motor and power your putting on the drivetrain. if your rig is light and v6 or less power you'll most likely be fine providing you have no binds in your u-joints through axle wrap or suspension cycle.

Porter is running a stock 300 with 7.17 gears in his d-60 with as far as I know no output upgrades. but he is displacing his torque more on the diff end (where it can handle it) making it easier on his 300. no problems as far as I know and he drives like a nuttyass at times. :D

sucmah said:
Binder said:
Actualy dodge used a 23 spline unput behind all automatics. And you can swap this input into any small bearing 205 case.

True about the dodge 23 splines but they won't swap into a big bearing Ford or Gm case without some customizing. Not all GM cases are large bearing, just most of the ones with the round pattern.

Binder said:
sucmah said:
True about the dodge 23 splines but they won't swap into a big bearing Ford or Gm case without some customizing. Not all GM cases are large bearing, just most of the ones with the round pattern.

Doesnt really matter since it looks like toyota uses a 45 degree pressure angle on their splines. Thanks for the feedback though.

Toy cases are stronger, the more toyota parts you keep the better off you will be. I personally see no reason to need front only on a non comp. rig. :flipoff:

Fullywrecked said:
Toy cases are stronger, the more toyota parts you keep the better off you will be. I personally see no reason to need front only on a non comp. rig. :flipoff:

Hmmm thats not what u said when we were ridin gback up drop of that tie rod that u had to borrow for a lil bit Mem. day weekend :redneck: . Methinks u said something about how great a 4.3CHEBBIE and CHEVVIE TURBO350 seemed compared to the 22R and 5speed, especially when we were just sitting there stopped and idling (not going backwards:D ) on the hill. Oh yeh me thinks thats what u said:haha: :haha: :flipoff: .

no excuses said:
Hmmm thats not what u said when we were ridin gback up drop of that tie rod that u had to borrow for a lil bit Mem. day weekend :redneck: . Methinks u said something about how great a 4.3CHEBBIE and CHEVVIE TURBO350 seemed compared to the 22R and 5speed, especially when we were just sitting there stopped and idling (not going backwards:D ) on the hill. Oh yeh me thinks thats what u said:haha: :haha: :flipoff: .

I''ll sell ya a good 22R and 5spd to replace it with. Don't just throw away the 4.3, It would be nice in a commuter car with the automatic.:stirpot:

Fullywrecked said:
I''ll sell ya a good 22R and 5spd to replace it with. Don't just throw away the 4.3, It would be nice in a commuter car with the automatic.:stirpot:

Hey biatch have u found me a dana 300 and a np203 yet:flipoff:

Fullywrecked said:

where is your proof? Have you seen the internals of a 300?

Fullywrecked said:
I personally see no reason to need front only on a non comp. rig. :flipoff:

Oh grasshopper if you only knew how much of an advantage it is, your only saying this because your a toyota owner in denile.:haha:

sarg said:
Oh grasshopper if you only knew how much of an advantage it is, your only saying this because your a toyota owner in denile.:haha:

Well said sarg :;

crash said:
where is your proof? Have you seen the internals of a 300?

Have you seen the output shafts on a dana 300? As for the internals on a toy case, how many have you seen exploded? I have never seen one broke.....even behind v8's. Not in denial but for most trail rigs front digs are never needed IMHO.:rolleyes: :corn:

no excuses said:
Hey biatch have u found me a dana 300 and a np203 yet:flipoff:

If your going to use a NP203 reduction box why put a dana 300 when you can use a NP205 and not have to upgrade the output shaft?:beer:

Fullywrecked said:
Have you seen the output shafts on a dana 300? As for the internals on a toy case, how many have you seen exploded? I have never seen one broke.....even behind v8's. Not in denial but for most trail rigs front digs are never needed IMHO.:rolleyes: :corn:

Put one in and you will be like

wait you still have a 4 popper don't ya :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

As for the output--yes I have . I think its a mute point to compare the toy case to a dana 300 case because they are equal in strength since they both a gear to gear assembly. except the 300 is more simplistic and has a stronger case...

I run a Dana 300 in both my rigs. The one in the Green Machine is all stock, and has taken a pounding for 2 years now with no probs as Jason said all my gearing is in my axles. In my family rig I am running an Ultimate 300, alot stronger than any Toy case will ever be. The reasons I run the 300s are better clocking, more aftermarket support, and of course FRONT WHEEL DRIVE!! If you even think a trail rig is better off without FWD you have no clue, as once you have it you will wonder how you ever wheeled without it. Plain and simple you will use it all the time. Of course they make a Toy D-line disconnect, but they are not holding up very well. But if your a Toy guy you dont have an option if you want the FWD capability.

PORTER said:
I run a Dana 300 in both my rigs. The one in the Green Machine is all stock, and has taken a pounding for 2 years now with no probs as Jason said all my gearing is in my axles. In my family rig I am running an Ultimate 300, alot stronger than any Toy case will ever be. The reasons I run the 300s are better clocking, more aftermarket support, and of course FRONT WHEEL DRIVE!! If you even think a trail rig is better off without FWD you have no clue, as once you have it you will wonder how you ever wheeled without it. Plain and simple you will use it all the time. Of course they make a Toy D-line disconnect, but they are not holding up very well. But if your a Toy guy you dont have an option if you want the FWD capability.

:clappy: :clappy: :clappy: :clappy: :clappy: :clappy: :clappy: :;

Status
Not open for further replies.