• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Define 'Damage'

japerry

I've heard lots of people toss around the word 'damage' in regards to trail damage, environmental damage, etc...

So what is your view of damage?

:corn:

My idea of damage.

People going off the trail/making bypass's

Thats my idea of damage.

As for erroision--I have only seen a couple instances where erroison was caused and not by use/over use.

how about an example?

Here is a pic I found of a section of trail being completely ruined.

file.php

Damage or "trail damage" is really just a perspective of a person. You could say damage is any change whatsoever not made by nature but then you would be a tree hugging hippie fag.....I would say trail damage is changes to the trail that change it from it's intended design/ use.......By that definition not all damage is bad.:;

I've heard lots of people toss around the word 'damage' in regards to trail damage, environmental damage, etc...

So what is your view of damage?

High density housing developments and commercial warehouses on prime farm land. :booo:

Lets get off the topic of the 311--its the same thing that happened a number of years ago--lets get over it.

If you want to discuss it then do it in another thread.

If a tree falls in the woods and no one see's it, does it make a sound?

If an area is "damaged" and they don't see it, is it "damage"?

Yes. No. :;

I agree with most that have already posted...

Mark hit it out of the park... "They" determine what "damage" actually is...:booo:

But, Crash posted what it should be... Going off trail or user built bypasses is damage... A trial changing from use is not...:awesomework:

Mother Nature does more damage than all of us put together...

Big business also does more damage than we do by raping the land, dumping waste, building warehouse parks and housing developments...

It's whatever they say it is.

I think we have a winner! I take 'they' as the law (RCWs and WACs).

But we also need to make sure DNR is following the same rules and not putting us under a bus because 'we're rednecks and don't know any better'. We need to hold their feet to the fire if they try to use a law that doesn't exist to close a trail/area.

more times than not, I've seen the law fall on our side... its quite neat :cool:

Interesting factoid -- Reiter was not illegal like I previously thought. Because DNR posted signage designating ORV use, it was legal.

Not just farm land but its OK to doze trees for houses, but not OK to rub one in a truck?

bammer huh?

I have seen this hipocracy first hand. In Sun Valley, ID there is a lot of greenies. They would get all bent out of shape about livestock grazing the mountain sides but would dig out a mountain side to build their house, driveway, ski resort, parking lot, etc.

Also, in that area when I was younger, I remember 2 huge hay fields that during the winter, elk would feed on because the snow wasn't as deep. That owner died, a company bought it, dozed it, built a tall fence to protect their brand new golf course.:booo:

Anyways, damage IMO is user built bypasses other than ones already there and going off route just because someone wanted to.