• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

wheel damage

wizzo

i'd like you guys opinions on the damage to this wheel and what you would do at this point. i've had a few guys comment on my facebook but i'd like to get more input from here.

this is what happened

Wizo second run during the CRAWL south readers ride rock race at the Wishbone Ranch

end result

599887_10100484025331562_337297336_n.jpg

i purchased these KMC (may have been my first mistake) wheels through a vendor on pirate (may have been my 2nd mistake). this was the first time i had them out. so far the only way i have been able to get in touch with anyone from KMC is on their facebook page via message. supposedly someone is gonna call me or email me directly from KMC but we'll see....................i'm not holding my breath

i personally don't think i hit the wheel hard enough to break it in half. the bridge for the psc ram is bent and the ruffstuff diff cover itself took a good hit also. the inner bead is bent and cracked and if that was the only damage i could deal with it, bend it back out and tig it back and use for the spare and roll on.

just got off the phone with a guy from wheel pros, he pretty much said he doubted there was anything they would do about it but he'd be glad to "go through the motions" for me. so sent him an email with the pictures he asked for...............

I saw Will Carter clip a tree and break the **** out of a Raceline Monster. He was going slower than you were when you hit that rock. (it also broke off a good 3" of rock)

I broke a big chunk out of the inside of an alumium wheel sliding across a rock face in my lil ol rust buggy.

See what KMC says, I bet you'll have to chalk it up to "**** happens".

Might put some Inner Air Locks in to act as a wheel cushion if'n your gonna ram the **** out of stuff

Either way, good luck with KMC thumb.gif

After seeing that video, I can't believe anyone would even consider asking the company to warranty something like that. That was a HARD hit, not like you were just driving across your driveway and it split apart. :wtflol:

jpony645 said:
After seeing that video, I can't believe anyone would even consider asking the company to warranty something like that. That was a HARD hit, not like you were just driving across your driveway and it split apart. :wtflol:
Why would you not ask??? These parts are high and are designed for racing! I don't see how it broke the wheel in half and didnt just cave one spot in!

I once broke a CENTERLINE wheel like that when the Mustang I was driving hit a telephone pole,,,I did not even bother calling them on it.

some times you just gotta stand back and say "will you just LOOK AT IT" laughing1

When I destroyed my Trail Ready wheel on Bunny Slope 3. I called Trail ready that Monday and told them what I did. He said to ship it back and they would either fix it or replace. They ended up replacing it and all I had to pay was for the shipping when I shipped it back.
Also they have a life time warranty on there wheels for an extra $100.00 per wheel.
Sorry this isn't the best pic but it's all I got.
CutKrawler.jpg

al1tonyota said:
Why would you not ask??? These parts are high and are designed for racing! I don't see how it broke the wheel in half and didnt just cave one spot in!

I guess I just figure if I'm dumb enough to hit something that hard and break it, then I shouldn't expect them to warranty it. Most manufacturers only warrant against manufacturing and material defects anyway. :dunno:

jpony645 said:
I guess I just figure if I'm dumb enough to hit something that hard and break it, then I shouldn't expect them to warranty it. Most manufacturers only warrant against manufacturing and material defects anyway. :dunno:

Most of our pockets aren't as deep as yours. ::)

jpony645 said:
I guess I just figure if I'm dumb enough to hit something that hard and break it, then I shouldn't expect them to warranty it.

agreed... There is nothing wrong with being accountable for your own decisions and actions... Some people should try it

muddinmetal said:
agreed... There is nothing wrong with being accountable for your own decisions and actions... Some people should try it

let me be clear, i have in no way tried to miss lead KMC. on the phone i told him what i was doing when it happened. at this point we haven't talked about anything other than what happened, he asked for pictures and i sent them and have not heard back any further at this point.

i work for a electronics manufacturer. when i have a customer that damages their product beyond repair i offer them a replacement at a discounted rate. i would like to think i could at least get a similar offer. sometimes i get customers who try to lie and act like they didn't do anything wrong, they are the last people i want to help.

I definitely wasn't pointing that comment in your direction... I just work in auto parts for the public, and just like you said, it's so irritating when people want everything for free because something bad happened to them...

Visually, those are my favorite beadlocks btw

I have tore a lot of **** up!!! Several of them when I was racing! Some while trail riding and :drinkers: I simply call whoever I got the damaged part from and tell them what I did or what happened (I have even sent them a link to the video if there is one) and see what they offer! Worst thing they can say is not covered. Alot of them are at least willing to help in some way reduced price or whatever. Check my sig for some of the most out standing companies I've had the privilege to do business with :dblthumb:

I would not for one single second believe that that wheel had anything wrong with it other than the driver. :)

If KMC helps you out it will be out of the kindness of their hearts.

(I'm just joking about the driver. Stuff like that has happened to me in the past. 'Course, I run steel wheels and they just laugh stuff like that off.)

al1tonyota said:
I simply call whoever I got the damaged part from and tell them what I did or what happened (I have even sent them a link to the video if there is one) and see what they offer! Worst thing they can say is not covered. Alot of them are at least willing to help in some way reduced price or whatever.

Exactly.

Well Chris, we have learned one thing from this some wheels do have warranty. I hope KMC helps you out.

dang that was a violent hit. I would of thought the wheel would have caved in though.

Draco said:
Most of our pockets aren't as deep as yours. ::)

Shiiiit, i'm the cheapest bastard you'll ever meet. :dblthumb:

I hope they do give the guy a new wheel or a discount on another. I just wouldn't expect it based on my experiences. Maybe I haven't dealt with the right people but I've never gotten any kind of break on anything that I fawked up myself.