• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Diesel vs Gas

CrustyJeep said:
Using a diesel for a daily driver (on a regular basis) is the height of silliness IMO, especially with today's fuel prices.
I can get diesel cheaper than gas, and I get better mileage on it to boot. How silly is that? :flipoff:

skrause said:
I can get diesel cheaper than gas, and I get better mileage on it to boot. How silly is that? :flipoff:
My GTI gets close to 30 MPG and it isn't particularly fuel conservative. Touch that with a truck, deisel OR gas :flipoff:

Then again, I have a 35 mile commute each way, so DD fuel mileage is a big concern for me, where it might not be such a big deal to some.

CrustyJeep said:
My GTI gets close to 30 MPG and it isn't particularly fuel conservative. Touch that with a truck, deisel OR gas :flipoff:
While we're one-upping... :D My Metro gets over 45mpg... and that is with over 200,000 miles on the original motor!

ZedMikey said:
While we're one-upping... :D My Metro gets over 45mpg... and that is with over 200,000 miles on the original motor!
I wasn't one upping :flipoff: Just trying to prove a point (trucks != DD's). 45 MPG would kick serious ass, but I'd miss the power...

today i went from yakima to ellensburg and back, pulling a 8000 lb IR roller with a 98 3/4 chevy, 5.7 with 168,000, never dropped below 60 at 5400 rpm, and it burn an entire tank of gas, in a 70 mile round trip. ouch. but its okay because the companys buying the gas

CrustyJeep said:
I wasn't one upping :flipoff: Just trying to prove a point (trucks != DD's). 45 MPG would kick serious ass, but I'd miss the power...
I've been driving Metros as DDs for the last 9 years... I've gotten used to it. :) And, actually, they aren't THAT bad on power. The curb weight is only 1800lb. or so... doesn't need much to get it going. :p

CrustyJeep said:
Using a diesel for a daily driver (on a regular basis) is the height of silliness IMO, especially with today's fuel prices.

Oh hell, using ANY full size truck as a daily driver is silly. The fuel mileage is ridiculous. Get a little car for a daily driver, and get a truck that does what you need. A few years ago, my 1/2 ton gasser was PLENTY for what I used it for. Not anymore. I wouldn't buy another gasser truck. I sure as hell wouldn't daily drive it, diesel OR gas.

So we have four vehicles total... So what :flipoff:

So he should spend money on a daily driver to save $1400 a year in gas. I spend that much on Steak. :haha: I would just drive the diesel. You would have to keep the daily driver for 5+ years before it starts saving you money.

Here's the deal, depending on what year of tow rig you are looking at the diesel will be the better either way, saying a newer diesel will be beat straight line by a gasser is abserd, If you're talking say older 12v cummins or something yeah it does take a mod, only one, and it takes about 15 minutes to install and cost's less than $200. A cam plate will not take any of you're truck's reliability away, all it does is add MILAGE and POWER.

ZedMikey said:
I've been driving Metros as DDs for the last 9 years... I've gotten used to it. :) And, actually, they aren't THAT bad on power. The curb weight is only 1800lb. or so... doesn't need much to get it going. :p
I drove one of those golf carts once, was a total dog with 3 people in it. :haha:

Jaydog said:
So he should spend money on a daily driver to save $1400 a year in gas. I spend that much on Steak. :haha: I would just drive the diesel. You would have to keep the daily driver for 5+ years before it starts saving you money.
:clappy: :clappy: :clappy: :clappy: :clappy:

Binder said:
And I agree that if your not going to mod a diesel then don't buy one.

Yea whys that??? I have an 02 powerstroke and see no need to mod it... it has the power i want and need for towing and daily driving, i see no reason to fawk with it. So are you saying i should sell my truck and get a gasser since i have no plans to mod it?

snwbrdpunk16 said:
Yea whys that??? I have an 02 powerstroke and see no need to mod it... it has the power i want and need for towing and daily driving, i see no reason to fawk with it. So are you saying i should sell my truck and get a gasser since i have no plans to mod it?

Wow... People are good at changing word's around. Use some common sense, and figure out what he was saying. retard:cheer:

darius said:
Wow... People are good at changing word's around. Use some common sense, and figure out what he was saying. retard:cheer:

You're something else.... My post was 100% sarcasm. And i dont believe i changed any words around, but think what u want.

And I think calling me a retard was an incorrect thing to do? have you met me? you might wanna watch what u say before u offend some people.... chicken ****er :cheer:

snwbrdpunk16 said:
You're something else.... My post was 100% sarcasm. And i dont believe i changed any words around, but think what u want.

And I think calling me a retard was an incorrect thing to do? have you met me? you might wanna watch what u say before u offend some people.... chicken ****er :cheer:

Well I wasn't sure, It's a PUBLIC forum, so if I feel like calling you a retard for a retarted comment then I will. Now knowing that is was sarcasm, I take the retard part back and well just say that I was being sarcastic too. You can't tell me to watch what I say, I'm a grown up, I'll say what I want.:cheer:

Well VP, I own both a 12 valve and a V-10, I haven't towed with my oil smoker in over a year, close to 2. I know I am just an old dumb sob, but my gas rig costs less to run. I have just over 200,000 on my smoker, am on my second fuel distributor, at just over $800 a piece, now going on my second tranny, now I will give to you that in the old Dodges, you had the choice between the Gutrag or the auto, so no real choice..... I have 140,000 on my gas. I get 17 empty on my shaker, 12 on my 10 hole, 14/15 with my trailer on the smoke, 10/11 on the gas. I drive a smoke pole everyday for work, but I don't have to pay for the sh*T.... The smoke fuel was a by product of making gas years and years ago, it was cheap, key word, WAS....
I like pulling with either, they both do a great job, gas is the cheapest way to go right now.
Now I have also towed with small block chevs and small mopars, I cant say either were fun to take over the passes, but they would get the job done...
The biggest complaint that I have with towing with ANY PU is that they just don't have enough weight to be able to make them stop good enough, even with trailer brakes, but I will give you the fact that I have used the same trailer for 15 years, and the trailer brakes have never been great...
Of course I have never been one of the cool kids...
Any body have a nice semi for sell?:D

Thanks 03. Good to know and actually there is a Big Rig for sale out in Monroe / Sultan area. On Ben Howard Road between the two towns.

Hmmm, where to start. Ok here it goes I started with the big block chev, with alot of mods, did ok(Towing mileage sucked 6-8). From there I moved a step up to a Powerstroke diesel I was very happy with the truck(towing was good at 13-14), pulled passes at 65mph not bad. Now onto the best truck I have ever owned, an 06 2500 CTD. I can tow to Reiter(Almost 300 miles@15mpg), and then use the truck as a DD and still get almost 18mpg out of the same tankful of fuel. Try to do that with any gasser, not going to happen. The power and torque of a diesel, very long lasting engine, better fuel mileage, etc,etc is why I bought one as hopefully this truck will be the last truck I will have to buy for a very long time. Ya it costs more than a gasser, but in the end look what you got. I am one other person that will say I will never go back to a gasser. There is my been there done that opinion.:D

snwbrdpunk16 said:

I wrote that because in my opinion a un moded diesel is a gutless dog to drive. Stock to stock a comparable sized gasser will have more get up and go and be nicer to drive. Although like has been said many times moding is not a big deal.

crash said:
If you also look at the reality of it all--- how many do you know who have gone back to a gasser after having a rattle box/oil burner? Not a one that I know of. I for one will never go back...

Actually u know one :hi: I sold my 97 powerstroke my weiner and got a tundra for a very short period of time... I think like 4 months??? But i couldnt stand no having a fullsize longbed truck and ditched it

On that note, my Tundra towed my 6k # camping trailer up stevens pass at 55 and got aboot 12-14 MPG. Wasnt a bad little truck.

But I missed haveing a fullsize diesel.... soooo i got another :clappy:

Latest posts