• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge 47RE builders

Wow, been super busy, but an update. I got the tranny in, and overall I love it. With the low-stall converter the motor feels much more "loaded up." It also made a huge difference in how the truck pulls- shift timing feels just right to me, not to early and not too late. The shifts are crisp but not harsh, which was very important to me. I did not want a sledpull tranny that bangs through the gears.

I have about 1500 miles on the truck so far, and got to tow my big trailer for about 250 miles. On hills where the old convertor would just slip, the new tranny will pull the trailer at whatever speed I want. My fuel mileage also went up about 1.5mpg (corrected), but I switched tires at the same time so I cant say what exactly made the difference.

I did run into a few minor issues, mostly my fault. When I first installed the gov pressure fooler box DTT sends I wired it in wrong, and the tranny went into limp mode (2nd gear start). After studying my FSM I eventually figured it out. The DTT instructions for this part were not the best.

I also couldnt figure out why the convertor wouldnt seat in the pump with the front face the 7/8" deeper than the bellhousing my FSM said it should. I really really wanted to be sure not to break the pump, so after looking around I found out that on the diesel 47RE the front face of the convertor actually sticks out approx 3/4" beyond the bellhousing and I was fine.

Finally, I need to adjust my idle up a little bit. With the low stall convertor and a cold motor, it has the tendency to stall because the motor drops to 550 or so when putting it in gear. Easy fix.

If I were to do it all over againg I would probably buy the DTT parts and have a local shop do it. The quality appeared to be excellent (tanny case was beadblasted, plugs in the ports, adjusted right out of the box, etc) BUT the turnaround time was like 8 weeks all said and done.

So did you pull yours and have it built?

What was the rough cost on it?

I am still saving $$ to get mine done.

So did you pull yours and have it built?

What was the rough cost on it?

I am still saving $$ to get mine done.

I pulled it and shipped it to DTT and the built it. The final bill was around $4100. That was $800 labor and the rest parts. Billet input, triple disc convertor, and just about everything else DTT sells except the flexplate and billet output. Most people can get away with about $1000-1500 less parts than that if your tranny is in good working order.

wow.took a lil bit of time,but sounds like some good solid work.god what a difference it is when the transmission works!! how much did it cost to ship it?

i don't have a Cummings,but i had a local shop in Bellevue(friend works at,and a few wheelers) build my tranny in my 2000 dodge..

new servo packs,new planetary gears(steel not alum.),new torque converter,shift kit,upgraded cooler,drilled out some fluid passages etc... i didn't realize how bad that thing was.. the tranny tech about **** himself when he opened it up. he couldn't believe i drove it in..
now it just goes,hit the hills and its like nothing.even when it shifts into overdrive you can feel it.. towing is noticeably different. now i just need to re gear the diffs..

Finally, I need to adjust my idle up a little bit. With the low stall convertor and a cold motor, it has the tendency to stall because the motor drops to 550 or so when putting it in gear. Easy fix.

Glad to hear you got 'er back together and goin'....:awesomework: The low idle/stall cold thing, though, is not an effect from the low stall converter...

wow.took a lil bit of time,but sounds like some good solid work.god what a difference it is when the transmission works!! how much did it cost to ship it?

i don't have a Cummings,but i had a local shop in Bellevue(friend works at,and a few wheelers) build my tranny in my 2000 dodge..

new servo packs,new planetary gears(steel not alum.),new torque converter,shift kit,upgraded cooler,drilled out some fluid passages etc... i didn't realize how bad that thing was.. the tranny tech about **** himself when he opened it up. he couldn't believe i drove it in..
now it just goes,hit the hills and its like nothing.even when it shifts into overdrive you can feel it.. towing is noticeably different. now i just need to re gear the diffs..

Oh yeah. I love how it performs. You can definitely tell when the convertor locks up, but in a good way. Before I would be singing along at 2600-2800 and the convertor would engage and drop to 2200-2400. That is when it could grab. I got alot of WTF is wrong questions from people. Now at the same mph im cruising along at 2500rpm and the convertor engages nice and smooth, only dropping a couple hundred rpm :beer:. Shipping was about $90 each way IIRC.

I actually took a video of the first test drive and the first smokey burnout, but turns out my camera cant see **** at night.

Glad to hear you got 'er back together and goin'....:awesomework: The low idle/stall cold thing, though, is not an effect from the low stall converter...

Im open to any ideas, I am by no means a pro. The only reason I thought it was the idle was I never had the problem before this tranny and it seems like I idled around 750 or so in gear with the old tranny, and now its about 650 with the new one.

When I got the truck there was service record that said the idle was adjusted due to a "hard cold start" complaint, but it was high- like 850-900 in gear. I eventually adjusted it to around 750 when I put the Governor springs in, but the tranny is the only thing that changed since the gsk's. Is there something else that can cause the low idle/ stall?

Oh yeah. I love how it performs. You can definitely tell when the convertor locks up, but in a good way. Before I would be singing along at 2600-2800 and the convertor would engage and drop to 2200-2400. That is when it could grab. I got alot of WTF is wrong questions from people. Now at the same mph im cruising along at 2500rpm and the convertor engages nice and smooth, only dropping a couple hundred rpm :beer:. Shipping was about $90 each way IIRC.

I actually took a video of the first test drive and the first smokey burnout, but turns out my camera cant see **** at night.

awesome!! sounds like that bad boy is doing its job now.. i know what you mean about the WTF? is wrong.. i had a couple friend think we would be walking home.lol
i think they make a light for the camera? but what the hell would we see at night. dark with alot of smoke...lets see one during the day.lol...

i don't know about the cummins to much,but my rig idles lower now in gear also,,doesn't want to stall,but i can tell its not quit as high as it used to be :eeek:.. maybe its all the bad ass bling inside the new tranny!!!!

Last edited:
So can you adjust the idle on the 24v? Mine has always been what I thought was high..

Mine is a 98' 12v. It just has a simple little screw and locknut. Mine has alot less wiring related to the motor than a 24v:redneck:

I think with the 24V it is all computer controlled. My buddies have 01 and 02 24v with manual trannies and you do not need to give them throttle when letting out the clutch as the computer just maintains the idle. took me a while to get used it when driving their rigs.

Last edited:
So can you adjust the idle on the 24v? Mine has always been what I thought was high..
I have seen the high idle (850-950) thing on 24v many times, but was not able to figure out a viable solution to getting it down...

Turtle, it may well be parasitic draw from new parts, and may well break in and loosen up abit, but 100 rpm's is pretty significant---might be worth a call to the builder...I have seen the idle stop lever bent on a couple, they do tend to bend over time/mileage.... Have never had any adverse effects from simply straightening the lever, or turning up the screw as you've done...:awesomework: