• 383 Small Block

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rockbuggy

Beeting it to death one ride at a time
Tube Chassis with Rockwells steering both ends and 44 Boggers TH400 Trans to 203/205 doubler. Currently have a Stock 454 With TBI Looking for more go (The 200 hp it currently makes is not cutting it)

Whats do you think Should I build the 454 I got (Cam and head work as well as some new slugs) to get around 400 - 450 Hp?

Or Put in someting else?

5.3's are everywhere
6.0's are harder to find but still around
383 Stroker kits are cheep now

What ever the engine is. It must run on pump gas and be fuel Injected.

buy a 5.3 and put a little money in it. they can be had for quite a bit cheaper than a 6.0. If you have the coin to spend, get the 6.0, throw a mild cam in it and call it good.
I am pretty happey with my 5.3 (LS6 cam/springs, tune, milled heads for more compression) still runs well on pump gas.....when the pump is working right. :****:

I just did a 6.0 with mild cam and it puts out good power. That said I spent a lot to make the motor smaller so I could fit it. IF you have a bigger rig it may not be an issue for you at all. Mine dynoed at 290 to wheels which is about 400 at crank.

Matt O. said:
I just did a 6.0 with mild cam and it puts out good power. That said I spent a lot to make the motor smaller so I could fit it. IF you have a bigger rig it may not be an issue for you at all. Mine dynoed at 290 to wheels which is about 400 at crank.

Hey Matt,

What did you do to make your 6.0L smaller? And what advantages does that have? So u got 400HP at the crank with just adding a mild cam to a stock motor? is your 6.0L a LQ4 or LQ9? What else did u do to get 400HP?

8.1 its what rockwells crave, and your headers will still work.
Also be sure to get the gas pedal and bcm for the pedal.
I can help if you have questions

Jimmy

pillsbury said:
Hey Matt,

What did you do to make your 6.0L smaller? And what advantages does that have? So u got 400HP at the crank with just adding a mild cam to a stock motor? is your 6.0L a LQ4 or LQ9? What else did u do to get 400HP?

LQ4 to my knowledge, came out of a chevy 2500 truck and I don't think they put LQ9's in them in 2006. Making it smaller has the advantages of it fitting in my buggy. Pan and intake make it shorter. I did nothing else other than headers, cam and dyno tune

The 6.0 fit in my TC buggy (which is medium sized) with just a pan swap. If you have to swap the top end and the pan to fit a chassis, I personally think you should just get an LS-2 to begin with.

EOR MFG said:
8.1 its what rockwells crave, and your headers will still work.
Also be sure to get the gas pedal and bcm for the pedal.
I can help if you have questions

Jimmy

Is the 8.1 based off the old Big Block? Same motor mounts? Who all Tunes these motors? I can not find a Chassis Dyno In my area. I don't mind taking it somewhere just want someone who knows there stuff when it comes to tuning.

One issue I have right now is I dont have room for headers. I am running stock Manifolds due to the space constraint on the passengers side with the 2 piece front shaft.

rockbuggy said:
Is the 8.1 based off the old Big Block? Same motor mounts? Who all Tunes these motors? I can not find a Chassis Dyno In my area. I don't mind taking it somewhere just want someone who knows there stuff when it comes to tuning.

One issue I have right now is I dont have room for headers. I am running stock Manifolds due to the space constraint on the passengers side with the 2 piece front shaft.

No completly different and taller but the exhaust is the same and so are motor mounts. Just a basic tune will be enough on the 8.1

wngrog said:
The 6.0 fit in my TC buggy (which is medium sized) with just a pan swap. If you have to swap the top end and the pan to fit a chassis, I personally think you should just get an LS-2 to begin with.

I didn't want an AL block motor. And I could have gotten away with a truck intake, but I wanted to be sure it would fit and planned to run flow through rails. I think I may have $200 in my car intake, injectors, TB and relocation bracket to make the accessories work. Much cheaper than an LS2..

COPPERHEAD42 said:
Big booty judy made 211HP at the wheels with 44" tsl's with a 5.3 with z06 cam and springs.

What made you want to put Z06 springs and cam in a 5.3L motor? whats the advantage to doing that? Where is everyone reading about all these weird odd combos and packages and mixes of parts?

That jeep looks awesome. how did u cut your TSL's?

My Jeep (which is not big booty judy) has a stock 5.3. Im also running pitbull rockers not TSL's. I just sold that Jeep though and bought a buggy called big booty judy that has a 5.3 with z06 cam and springs. Doing the z06 cam and springs is just cheap horsepower. You can pick up cam and springs under 200 bucks and I cant tell you exactly how much power you gain but its a pretty good gain, Lots of guys doing it on trucks. 1TONZR2 did this cam on his 5.3 as well. Get on ls1tech.com for some real good combo's of parts. 5.3 heads on ls1's, l96 heads on 6.0's , zo6 cam swaps etc...

pillsbury said:
What made you want to put Z06 springs and cam in a 5.3L motor? whats the advantage to doing that? Where is everyone reading about all these weird odd combos and packages and mixes of parts?

These are not weird odd combinations. The ZO6 cam and springs is one of the most common out there as is the GMPP which is very similar to the ZO6. LS1Tech has a ton of info on cheap ways to make good power in LS motors