• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

evans creek issues

I have found that folks that accuse others of "bitching" are actually to ignorant to give a thoughtful, understanding and respectful response. So instead they say "you're bitching" in order to separate you from the conversation. It's a cop out.....and a pathetic one at that.:rolleyes:

That has to be the smartest thing I've ever seen you write....and I agree.:awesomework:Where'd you steal it from?

Has anyone spoke with the local business owners in the area? I support the Chevron EVERY time I am in Burnett, also some of the other local shops. I gave them the map and a brief description of the goings on at Evans. Needless to say, they were less than pleased when they figured out this would make doing business a bit harder. Regardless as to if they enforce width restrictions or not, word on the street will scare people away. I hope the FS has a prepared statement for those small businesses.

Yes I have met with jay (burnett store owner) and he is talking to the other vendors in the area about how this is going to impact them. I am trying to schedule a meeting this winter with them and the FS to discuss these issues (seasonal clouser)

Yes I have met with jay (burnett store owner) and he is talking to the other vendors in the area about how this is going to impact them. I am trying to schedule a meeting this winter with them and the FS to discuss these issues (seasonal clouser)

Wow! I am impressed. I think you really have gone far and above your call of duty here. Thanks Jim.

Its gotten to be the point in my life where while snow wheeling is not my favorite thing to do, it is the time when I can go out and play, that being said, yes it is just closing another place for me to play at.:booo:

Evans Creek ORV update

on August 21st, I wrote the following letter to the Snoqualmie Ranger District, North Bend:
I am in reciept of the new map, which incorporates the Evans Creek ORV area.

It is my understanding that the Evans area states that the trail are only open to: vehicles 72" or less in width, with seasonal designation.

In order to properly measure my vehicle, to make sure I qualify, can you please give me the specifics of how to measure.

Is it the widest point on the body? Can I fold my mirrors in? Is it at the bumper? Or midway up the body? Do I measure at the tires? And if so, in the middle of the tread, or at the outside of the tread? Do I measure the tire at the ground, or mid-height of the tire? My mudflaps are wider than the tire, do I measure at the width of the mudflaps?

Your clarification on this matter is important, as I wish to fully comply with the rules.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

I recieved this reply today
Hi Tony. Sorry for the late response to your questions, as it has been a busy summer. Here is the answers to your questions included in your attached letter and hopefully this will clarify as much as possible some of the resource mitigation with the decision notice being signed March, 2009

The current width for the trails at Evans Creek is 72" as indictated in the recently released MVUM map (Motor Vehicle Use Map) This width is measured from the outside of tire to outside of tire at its widest point. This width will be revisited for next season and will likely be increased to 78" or 80" but no more as a compromise to accommodate some of the newer manufactured jeeps. This will be reflected in 2011 MVUM map.

There is a seasonal wildlife area closure startin December 15th to March 31st. There is also a individual trail closure as wet conditions dictate from October 1 thru December 15th and from April 1st to June 30th. The existing closure to the Evans Creek Improvement Assesment was actually November 15 to July 15th, but was never enforced. The new closure(s) will be enforced as of this current year 2010.

A copy of the Evans Creek EA and Decision Notice is available at the Snoqualmie District office in Enumclaw if you are interested. Please call me if you have further questions.... Yada Yada....

Point 1: Sounds like 78 inches next year is a given, or perhaps 80.
Point 2: Winter Wheeling at Evans ain't happenin'

PS: I had to retype both letters for ya'll to read, so don't mind if I had a typo or two. This isn't cut and paste.

Edit: The US Dept of Agriculture letter was writen and signed by Bob Pacific, Snoqualmie District Trails/ORV. The USDofA is in charge of the Forest Service.

Last edited:
Thanks Tony for your good work. We appreciate your effort the clarify the rules.:beer::beer::beer:

Evans is just the next reiter, people just wont leave things alone. They think there doing good but all there doing is bringing up the obvious and making things more noticable.
Like your letter Tony, it has just reminded them on ruling and probly informed others to look for this. Although it may have cleared up the obvious it has just reinforced it..

It will be closed soon like reiter and it wont matter anyways. :booo:

This width will be revisited for next season and will likely be increased to 78" or 80" but no more as a compromise to accommodate some of the newer manufactured JEEPS . This will be reflected in 2011 MVUM map

Proof that the FS is out of touch with the current users of FS land. :looser:

sucks to be you guys :haha:

Evans is just the next reiter, people just wont leave things alone. They think there doing good but all there doing is bringing up the obvious and making things more noticable.
Like your letter Tony, it has just reminded them on ruling and probly informed others to look for this. Although it may have cleared up the obvious it has just reinforced it..

It will be closed soon like reiter and it wont matter anyways. :booo:
I don't agree.

Firstly, I doubt my letter had anything to do with reminding them of any obvious and noticable rulings. I'm quite sure they're well aware already.

Secondly, the fact that the Forest Service is willing to go from No restrictions to 72" width restrictions is bad. But if they follow thru with widening it back to 78 or 80", that will allow a good percentage of the already built trail rigs to legally run the area. Which reinforces the good.
With that in mind, I'm feeling that Evan's isn't going to be a Reiter at all. Remember Reiter wasn't an existing ORV park/area. It was simply a user-built trail system on public land. Closing an existing ORV area is hard to do, because it comes with much more public scrutiny than closing a non-sanctioned area.

If a Jeep is 80" wide and has a Warn full floating rear axle kit where the hubs stick out is it legal? How about the same situation with non Jeep vehicles? Seems like someone is in bed with someone on the "a compromise to accommodate some of the newer manufactured jeeps"

Hmmmmm.......................

There is probably going to be a tire size restriction too. 37s? Or should it be 33s like they had in 1979 :rolleyes: