• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

F/S Has Handed Down Trial Restrictions...

It has not been ignored by the USFS, but it has been ignored by 4x4 users. :; And continues to be ignored by some.

Well... maybe overlooked is a better word than ignored. Either way my point was that the 72" rule has always been in effect at Evan's but I have never seen or heard of it being enforced until I read post #41 and I have seen plenty full width rigs up there over the years. It is possible the USFS could continue to not enforce the rule as they have in the past and everyone may be making a big fuss over nothing. Unfortunately With the new Travel Management system the Evans Creek width restriction is written on the maps so we will probably be seeing this rule actually enforced in the near future. A fellow WOW member recently emailed Bob Pacific asking about the width restriction and Bob replied with "The original MVUM map that was put on the web had misinformation but has been updated. The width restriction for Evans Creek should be 72 inches as the original design was 60 inches." I guess it's time to start looking for some wheels with less backspacing :booo:

It is possible the USFS could continue to not enforce the rule as they have in the past and everyone may be making a big fuss over nothing.

It is:awesomework:and wouldn't that be a relief.

In my off-road travels, I see so much gray area it's hard to mention the black and white......this time (the width restriction) it's gonna be black or white.

Yea, and if you run anything bigger than a 34 10.5 on a Toy axle you can kiss your turning radious out the window, becouse your tires will be into your springs.:mad:

Mine are 39.5 / 16.5 / 16.5 and I turn just fine... sure they rub the springs, but who gives a ****?

... but it makes my Toyota about 80.5" wide...

That's OK just pivot on the trees.:awesomework:
Rock slider exhaust....Turn, and burn:redneck:
Mine are 39.5 / 16.5 / 16.5 and I turn just fine... sure they rub the springs, but who gives a ****?

... but it makes my Toyota about 80.5" wide...

Thats is the dilema. Either you will be stuck with little tires on your Toyota axles, or you will end up too wide, or inset wheels, and rubbing your springs.

The whole thing sucks, becouse whenever you go taller, most people also want to go a little wider in order to re-gain stability.

The whole thing sucks, becouse whenever you go taller, most people also want to go a little wider in order to re-gain stability.

Time to build it low with big tires. Keep it low and you will not have to as wide.

With the fact that the width rule has always been there I am not shocked that they are going to start enforcing it. With the way the trails are around here I never really planned on a wide rig or even one that is all that long. I planned on building my rig for what I wheel and if I want something that is bigger and has more power and huge tires then I will build a buggy. At that point I know I will have less places to wheel it. The enforcement of this is not really a bad thing cause I have seen rigs up at Evans that should not have been on those trails. So wide they had to use the banks and hills along the trail to get through.

Time to build it low with big tires. Keep it low and you will not have to as wide.

With the fact that the width rule has always been there I am not shocked that they are going to start enforcing it. With the way the trails are around here I never really planned on a wide rig or even one that is all that long. I planned on building my rig for what I wheel and if I want something that is bigger and has more power and huge tires then I will build a buggy. At that point I know I will have less places to wheel it. The enforcement of this is not really a bad thing cause I have seen rigs up at Evans that should not have been on those trails. So wide they had to use the banks and hills along the trail to get through.

My rig is pretty low. But 72 inches is a joke. I have Toy axles, and average offset wheels with 34 10.5's, and when I air them down I am at just over 72 bulge to bulge. So I could never get the bigger tires I was hoping to get.

Most Toyota's you see are running at least 35's, so they are all screwed.:mad:

Yea, and if you run anything bigger than a 34 10.5 on a Toy axle you can kiss your turning radious out the window, becouse your tires will be into your springs.:mad:

Well, I am not running a Toy axle and I think my 35x12.5 tires will still work with less backspacing. I only need 1 inch less backspacing to be 72". I just may rub a bit on my control arms at full turn. It sucks that right now I am not too wide for the rattlesnake trail, but too long. And not too long for Evans, but too wide. :booo:

Just an idea here.

What about starting a sticky that would have the rules, fees, links to updated maps, and so on for the NW area? This way people could pull up that sticky to make sure they are legal and be able to print out a good map from the links. It would help people who are going to areas that they have not wheeled so they do not get a ticket if they can avoid it. People can post up any changes and help keep it up to date. But its just an idea.:beer:

The enforcement of this is not really a bad thing cause I have seen rigs up at Evans that should not have been on those trails. So wide they had to use the banks and hills along the trail to get through.

My rig is 85" wide, I have done all the trails at Evans with no problems. I seen a jeep with open diffs spinning and going back and forth in a mudhole and a Toyota that got a ton of dents the same day on the same trail. To me the little extra width is better, it does less "damage" to the trails IMO.
:awesomework:

My rig is 85" wide, I have done all the trails at Evans with no problems. I seen a jeep with open diffs spinning and going back and forth in a mudhole and a Toyota that got a ton of dents the same day on the same trail. To me the little extra width is better, it does less "damage" to the trails IMO.

The rigs I was talking about were on rockwells with no rear steer and were driving up the sides of the trail all over the place. They had wide tires and rims with little offset. They were far too wide.

My rig is 85" wide, I have done all the trails at Evans with no problems. I saw a jeep with open diffs spinning and going back and forth in a mudhole and a Toyota that got a ton of dents the same day on the same trail. To me the little extra width is better, it does less "damage" to the trails IMO.

With the correct tires...your rig isn't horribly wide. IMHO less damage is the result of a capable rig & a responsible driver....vehicle brand has nothing to do with this conversation.