• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

F/S Has Handed Down Trial Restrictions...

The heart of this issue is not the width restrictions; as these width restrictions (for now at least) only affect Evans Creek. (and they have been in effect for decades; only now being proposed for actual enforcement)

The MVUM (read this: http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ohv/ohv_route_area_implementation_guide.pdf ) is the true issue at hand and where the uproar has stemmed from. This is not a Washington state issue. This is a National issue.

So after understanding this......what EXACTLY are we to change / fight / rally against?

I love when certain folks make a blanket statement "fight for the cause" or "get involved". For what EXACTLY are you referring to? The width restriction for Evans Creek? The (proposed) seasonal closures in the various Ranger districts? Did you know there are ORV users that support these new regulations and their enforcement? Did you know that overturning some of these new regulations is possible, but NOT probable?

Myself, I have chosen an area and plan to support and give my time, money and efforts to. Reiter.....on DNR land.

Since this thread is about FS land and trails inside of a National Forest......what specifically are the goals of "getting involved"? Go to the focus group meetings? Yes, ok......but what else? That in itself may make you feel you're "involved" but in reality you're getting educated and (maybe) providing input......nothing more, nothing less.

"What exactly am I trying to accomplish?" should be the first question to ask yourself. Spreading yourself thin, for an area(s) that has it's new regulations (ready to be) in affect, for an area you might frequent once or twice a year is not an effective way to "Get Involved". If you find yourself disagreeing with this statement, good for you. You are truly one of the "involved".:awesomework:

And......don't get all pissy:hi:I'm just trying to help anyone reading this to understand their choices and how they might (or might not) affect the REAL issues at hand.

These threads are difficult, as a single post by a single person has little effect on the masses. And it seems we are all guilty of "web-volunteering" while those that actually are "involved" don't give us a true understanding of what needs to be done. They feed us the old "get involved" with little to no solid guidance.

But.....what are you gonna do, right? Meh.....

I agree we need to be involved, not only with building/maintaining our trails, but with making sure that our voice is heard...

As far as raising funds, I feel that we need funds available for projects that get approved that are time sensitive... Things that we want done to the trails that may not be a priority for funding from the DNR... When they say we can change or build something, we need to run with it before the opportunity expires...

I already have approval to set up a booth at our local Walmart to sell stickers and hand out info... Just need to run it by the members and get it OK'd from them...

I love when certain folks make a blanket statement "fight for the cause" or "get involved". For what EXACTLY are you referring to? The width restriction for Evans Creek? The (proposed) seasonal closures in the various Ranger districts? Did you know there are ORV users that support these new regulations and their enforcement? Did you know that overturning some of these new regulations is possible, but NOT probable?

Thats exactly what it is--a blanket statement. Myself I could care less why folks get involved and for what area--the fact remains they are now part of the process to help and thats something this sport/hobby greatly lacks. You know this along with many others. I will continue to push for folks to be involved in one form or another.

Myself, I have chosen an area and plan to support and give my time, money and efforts to. Reiter.....on DNR land.

In all reality this is what most folks need to think about if they want to get involved--focus on one area be it reiter, walker or whatever. Another nice aspect of putting all your energy into one area you will see it change with your hard work.
Since this thread is about FS land and trails inside of a National Forest......what specifically are the goals of "getting involved"? Go to the focus group meetings? Yes, ok......but what else? That in itself may make you feel you're "involved" but in reality you're getting educated and (maybe) providing input......nothing more, nothing less.

You nailed it with your last sentance . If nothing else you will be educated and able to know how and to who to give your input. Education is power.
"What exactly am I trying to accomplish?" should be the first question to ask yourself. Spreading yourself thin, for an area(s) that has it's new regulations (ready to be) in affect, for an area you might frequent once or twice a year is not an effective way to "Get Involved". If you find yourself disagreeing with this statement, good for you. You are truly one of the "involved".:awesomework:

And......don't get all pissy:hi:I'm just trying to help anyone reading this to understand their choices and how they might (or might not) affect the REAL issues at hand.

These threads are difficult, as a single post by a single person has little effect on the masses. And it seems we are all guilty of "web-volunteering" while those that actually are "involved" don't give us a true understanding of what needs to be done. They feed us the old "get involved" with little to no solid guidance.

But.....what are you gonna do, right? Meh.....

As I stated "getting involved" has many different factors to it. There are also different levels of involvement with each comes more time spent doing so/more energy. But no matter what if everybody did some sort of it its my believe we would all be better off and there would be more support to help our sport/hobby.

1. Simply educatiing yourself on whats what
  2. Going to work parties
  3. Going to meetings
  4. Directly involved with groups/organizations
Get involved in one form or another.

I agree we need to be involved, not only with building/maintaining our trails, but with making sure that our voice is heard...

As far as raising funds, I feel that we need funds available for projects that get approved that are time sensitive... Things that we want done to the trails that may not be a priority for funding from the DNR... When they say we can change or build something, we need to run with it before the opportunity expires...

I already have approval to set up a booth at our local Walmart to sell stickers and hand out info... Just need to run it by the members and get it OK'd from them...

I take from this, you (and WOW in general) will be allocating your efforts and donations received for ORV areas on DNR land.

Not FS land, correct?

As far as raising funds, I feel that we need funds available for projects that get approved that are time sensitive......

Yes this is true but as far as the topic of this thread we don't require money to voice our opinion on width restrictions and trail designations....

Yes this is true but as far as the topic of this thread we don't require money to voice our opinion on width restrictions and trail designations....

No but from what I understand the only motorized recreation lobbyist in our state is representing the snowmobilers. It seems like they have had a good response and it was money well spent I'm sure. The WTA and Sierra Club have paid lobbyists on staff. We keep bitching about losing areas, being restricted more, etc... well maybe we should fight back the same way. :;

I take from this, you (and WOW in general) will be allocating your efforts and donations received for ORV areas on DNR land.

Not FS land, correct?

I'm not apposed to doing what ever is needed at any wheeling area, be DNR or FS land... I do see more opportunities on DNR land based on their willingness to work with us...

Agreed, but when the funding was brought up I just threw out my $0.02 about project funding...

wow... Might have to just save money and stick to the RC crawling and forget building a wheelin' rig...:booo:

That really isn't a bad option. If more people did other things the trails wouldn't be over crowded and we would have far less problems.
And when I say more people I mean the rest of you.

That really isn't a bad option. If more people did other things the trails wouldn't be over crowded and we would have far less problems.
And when I say more people I mean the rest of you.

I'm doing my part.:D Folks always thought I was a rock climber (crawler) so now I just do it.

No but from what I understand the only motorized recreation lobbyist in our state is representing the snowmobilers. It seems like they have had a good response and it was money well spent I'm sure. The WTA and Sierra Club have paid lobbyists on staff. We keep bitching about losing areas, being restricted more, etc... well maybe we should fight back the same way. :;

Sure that's a great idea but selling stickers while another great idea it isn't going to create enough $ to buy a politician.

Sure that's a great idea but selling stickers while another great idea it isn't going to create enough $ to buy a politician.

Everything has got to start someplace. Nothing has ever started without some sort of spark to set it off....