• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GPS what do you have?

Costco has the 60cx for 220 shipped, better then amazon? weird.

Might have to pick that up all right.

I have a Garmin GPS Map 60 CSX.

Great unit and would suggest it to anyone :awesomework:

If i was to buy one now, i would het the Colorado or the Oregan. They are awsome and i love the touch screen. The 3D map on them is nothing short of amasing.

:awesomework: I have a Oregon 400t. Its AWESOME! has a similar chip that the 60Csx has, but the touch screen gives you some good flexibility. You also can hook it upto a Kenwood D710 VHF radio and use it to run APRS with other Ham Radio Ops. :D

:awesomework: I have a Oregon 400t. Its AWESOME! has a similar chip that the 60Csx has, but the touch screen gives you some good flexibility. You also can hook it upto a Kenwood D710 VHF radio and use it to run APRS with other Ham Radio Ops. :D

Gonna have to look at yours alittle closer---been thinkin' about a new GPS....I like the touch screen idea...

The 60 csx is proven
No bells and wistles

It just works

Yes thanks for the information Charlie!

I just have a few more tech questions that I will have to stop by REI and see if they can answer.

Northwest SD topo card 100 bucks(wash and ore only)
West topo dvd 120 bucks(cali, ore, wash, and nevada)

Will have to find out how easy it is to combine a few differnt maps.

If I could get the topos for all the fun places and the parks and rec guide all combined on one 2 gig card I would be happy.

I want some of the bells and wistles of GIS has to offer.

Yup, Garmin is the best for maps... on the Oregon 400t I have..
Topo US 100k
Canada Ibcyus
Topo Canada v2
Topo 24k WA/OR
Street Nav v2010.30
Europe 2010

Some advantages of the Oregon 400(550t)
* Comes with TOPO maps, cost another $100 for the 60Csx
* Much easier to use interface, 60Csx is more intimidating for the uninitiated
* The screen of the 400t is twice as big, and clearer (tft)
* You can send your data wirelessly to other 400/450/550t GPS's in the field.

OREGON is better than the Colorado. Don't buy a Colorardo, Dakota, or anything lower than a 400 series touchscreen (300, 200, etc) You loose the sensitivity of the GPS and core features.

I was going to go with a 60Csx but after I did some trying out, the OREGON 400t was my choice.

Oh, btw.. the 400t is discontinued now, for the 450t and the 550t. The 550t has an integrated camera that applies GPS coords to your pics. Not really worth it IMHO, I'd stick with a 450t (the refresh of the 400) or find a 400t.

I'd recommend against using a NUVI if you're doing serious trail mapping. Its GPS sensor isn't as sensitive, and its not built rugged. While you get a nice big screen in the car, you can't really walk around with it, and it doesn't fit in the pocket.

Yup, Garmin is the best for maps... on the Oregon 400t I have..
Topo US 100k
Canada Ibcyus
Topo Canada v2
Topo 24k WA/OR
Street Nav v2010.30
Europe 2010

Some advantages of the Oregon 400(550t)
* Comes with TOPO maps, cost another $100 for the 60Csx
* Much easier to use interface, 60Csx is more intimidating for the uninitiated
* The screen of the 400t is twice as big, and clearer (tft)
* You can send your data wirelessly to other 400/450/550t GPS's in the field.

OREGON is better than the Colorado. Don't buy a Colorardo, Dakota, or anything lower than a 400 series touchscreen (300, 200, etc) You loose the sensitivity of the GPS and core features.

I was going to go with a 60Csx but after I did some trying out, the OREGON 400t was my choice.

Oh, btw.. the 400t is discontinued now, for the 450t and the 550t. The 550t has an integrated camera that applies GPS coords to your pics. Not really worth it IMHO, I'd stick with a 450t (the refresh of the 400) or find a 400t.

You have all of those maps on the gps at the same time? so they are combined? How does that work?

You have all of those maps on the gps at the same time? so they are combined? How does that work?

I believe he does, you can choose from a menu which area you want, then just touch the screen for that area (IIRC).....pretty cool...:awesomework:

Yup. All but europe. The Garmin 400/450/550t series all support 4gb SDHC cards and bigger, however they're useless. (because the maps are all combined into one file mapsupp.img, and due to a limitation in Fat32 being 4gb file sizes, there is no point in getting a card bigger than 4gb)

There are a few map combining programs out there that let you take a series of maps and combine them into new packages. I've done that with all the maps except europe, which has its own mapsupp.img file I swap out if I'm across the ocean.

For those who have 400/450/550t come talk to me (PM) and I can help you with maps :awesomework:

Yup. All but europe. The Garmin 400/450/550t series all support 4gb SDHC cards and bigger, however they're useless. (because the maps are all combined into one file mapsupp.img, and due to a limitation in Fat32 being 4gb file sizes, there is no point in getting a card bigger than 4gb)

There are a few map combining programs out there that let you take a series of maps and combine them into new packages. I've done that with all the maps except europe, which has its own mapsupp.img file I swap out if I'm across the ocean.

For those who have 400/450/550t come talk to me (PM) and I can help you with maps :awesomework:

All the maps combined makes that package tempting. It would be nice to just have one card to worry about and have everything on it.

The included topo maps that come with them, are they any good? or are they the 100k topo maps?

All the maps combined makes that package tempting. It would be nice to just have one card to worry about and have everything on it.

The included topo maps that come with them, are they any good? or are they the 100k topo maps?

the t comes with 100k maps. I have the 24k BC/WA/OR maps only, since their bigger.. the 100k works fairly well for general trail runs. it also has decent off-road/old logging road tracks.

the t comes with 100k maps. I have the 24k BC/WA/OR maps only, since their bigger.. the 100k works fairly well for general trail runs. it also has decent off-road/old logging road tracks.

Ok thats a really good bit of information.

So it looks like I am looking at the Oregon 400 or newer series or the gpsmap60csx

REI better beable to anwer my questions

Ok thats a really good bit of information.

So it looks like I am looking at the Oregon 400 or newer series or the gpsmap60csx

REI better beable to anwer my questions

Call garmin and talk to them
tell them what you are doing in detail and they will tell you what is best

Touch screens suck in the brush. I have heard of data being lost do to a couple bumps

read the reviews of the units before you spend the cash

Call garmin and talk to them
tell them what you are doing in detail and they will tell you what is best

Touch screens suck in the brush. I have heard of data being lost do to a couple bumps

read the reviews of the units before you spend the cash

Oh I will be, and I plan on having both of them in my hands to play with at REI. I still have a fair amount of reading to do on both of them before I decide to buy.

oh.. hmm I just lock the screen when its tracking, but not being actively used (ie in your pocket on the trail). You press the power button for a short period of time, where you can lock it and/or turn the brightness up and down.

With all the neat new electronic toys we have, lets not forget the first rule and that is to have a current paper map of the area you are in and a compass to orientate you.

Like most all electronic gadgets, they tend to fail when they are needed most.

Have fun, be safe, light the fires and kick those tires...lets go exploring !!!

Latest posts