• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Grinder Talk

wentz912

So I had some spare cash after the gift giving of the holidays was done and all, so I decided to buy myself a grinder instead of spending it all on hookers and blow. :awesomework:

Ended up getting a Milwaukee 4.5" 10 amp for a hundred bucks, model # 6148-30, for those that are more internet savvy than I.

Seems to be a REALLY nice unit, will lock in the on position, even with the paddle type trigger. Has a 3 position to screw the handle into, and, this is the part I'm really impressed with, the guard is set up with little notches and a spring loaded tab so you can rotate the guard around to a different angle without having to find a screw driver or remove it once you have whatever wheel you were last using off.

I don't know how knew any of these features are, seeing as how the only other grinder I've ever used is a 15+ year old 4.5" Makita that's also a 10 amp, but a trigger lock model.

So, what say you, NWW tool junkies? Did I goof? I was planning on getting a Makita like my dad's got but the only ones HD had were piddly little 5 amps. :looser:

I've always heard that Milwaukee and Makita are the way to go for Grinders and Drill Motors, but lately had been hearing some murmurings about Makitas quality taking a down turn. I was willing to roll the dice and get one anyhow but ended up with the Milwaukee instead due to Home Depot's limited selection.

Just picked up a Dewalt 4 1/2" 7AMP grinder today with a gift card I got from Christmas, hopefully it will do the job:awesomework:

i have a 7 in dwalt wild cat for big stuff, a dewalt 10 amp w/grinder wheel, a craftsman 6.5 amp w/flap disk, a hitachi 6 amp w/ cut off wheel,and a porter cable 7 amp w/ wire wheel. i hate to switch wheels every time so i just have one for each job. ohh and they all work great no complaints about any of them.

I used a lot of different brands over the years some cheap some expensive any more I just buy the Milwaukee their with reason on price and seem to last longer .

I have 4 harbor frieght orange ones, that way I never have to change the wheel. It is awesome, and haven't had one fail yet. I tried the even cheaper blue ones, and did burn that one up. Buy them on sale with a coupon and You could buy 5 for the price of your one....

Q
I have 4 harbor frieght orange ones, that way I never have to change the wheel. It is awesome, and haven't had one fail yet. I tried the even cheaper blue ones, and did burn that one up. Buy them on sale with a coupon and You could buy 5 for the price of your one....
Accept they are only like 5 amp grinders.

I'll x3 the Metabo comment. Dad has a 6 inch that he runs nothing but cut off wheels on, the thing is absolutely badass. Unfortunately it's badassness carries with it a price tag I can't currently afford.

I am in the middle of putting everything away and found 1 smoked Craftsman 7" and a smoked Milwaukee 7"....I use an old Milwaukee 7" now that is all steel....must be from the early 60's and I have 3 misc. 4 1/2" grinders...never could keep them very long...

im currently runnin a 7" 15amp and 4.5" 10 amp milwaukee's and love em, only complaint is my 7" does not have a trigger lock. we run dewalt 7" 15amp all around my work and we use the crap out of em, seem to come back for more.

currently just got one of the blue ones from dennis company pretty sweet for less then 20 bucks and has way more balls to it then the harbor freight one i had before

Black and decker 4 1/2" from wally world. $20 and last for years of constant usage. Has plenty of power to run 6" skinny wheels on with no issues.

I've used HF grinders but they don't last very long in my shop. Lost several ring & pinions in them. Finally took the shims out of a dead one and used them in a new one and got about a year of service out of it. Lot longer than the previous ones. :D