• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Harlan KY Attendance

highrolrcustoms

I am concerned about the attendance at Harlan over the past few years. seems like every event we go to there are less and less people. and now there have been 2 new offroad parks open in the past year....Rush Offroad park and Dirty Nasty offroad park
https://www.facebook.com/dirtnastyoffroad
http://www.rushoffroad.com/

I know rushoffroad has already picked up a Southern Rock Racing race there in June. and I feel these two parks will continue to grow taking attendance away from Harlan.

Why is attendance down........I think it boils down to 1 word.....PROMOTING. these other 2 parks are constantly promoting rides well in advance so people can plan. Southern Shine Crawl is just around the corner and there has been nothing planned or information given. I personally like an organized event with competitions, raffles, benefit rides...etc. Something I can look forward to and prepare for. Coming to large events is what pushes me to make my rig better and better. These events bring wheelers together and builds commoradory. I feel we are one big family and will do anything to help other wheelers in need.

Don't get me wrong I love Harlan but I wanna go where the action is. There is a 3 day event the following weekend of southern shine crawl at windrock and it is being promoted very well with hill climb challenge, raffles and major sponsors....http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/ ... =32361.0... if it happens to come down to people being able to attend 1 weekend I feel they would choose the windrock event instead of the Southern Shine Crawl in Harlan.

I would like to hear some other people chim in and see their opinion.... I just hope someone who can make a difference will read these and try to make some changes....if not I feel Harlan wont be around in a few years

in the past harlan has been my favorite park even before they started improving the place it was awesome… over the past 3 years i've gotten burned out on the place.. same trails, bulldozed some of the best ones and others have become unpassable unless its bone dry. we have a big annual ride we host and we moved it from harlan to gmp this year because there's nothing new and exciting in harlan, just same old same old. i love the atmosphere there and the folks are super nice but i can't name one trail there that Im just dying to run… my 2 cents….

i don't mind the rate increases or the drive but damn the place needs some new trails! when we were up there in august 2013 we "heard" there was a new trail.. asked the folks at the permit shack where it was.. they pointed it out on the map and we spent half the night trying to find it with no luck… I'd really love to see the place revitalized but i don't see it going on yet

Re:

Fwiw, im still somewhat new to wheeling, just got into it last summer and haven't been to harlan ( going in June). But it seems to me that harlan depends on people who wheel there to spread the word. I haven't really saw much promoting of the park, by the park. That being said I have heard alot of people talk about how great it is and that is why I decided to check it out. I live 10 minutes from rush off-road so I am there nearly every weekend, but it seems that the owner of the park, EB Lawman does a lot of work to promote the park and to help it grow and stay in the eye of the wheeling community

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Absolutely love to wheel at Harlan. Our group usually rides there 3-5 times per year. Not necessarily the event weekends other than Fall Crawl. With that being said....Fall Crawl has no resemblance to an organized event anymore. Last few years there has been no vendor participation to speak of,if any.Hate to see the park lose attendance and go downhill. Great place to wheel and would love to see the town of Evarts and the county of Harlan capitalize on it. Know they're making money now I'm sure but the potential is there to make LOTS more.Hopefully someone will step up and see what the other parks are doing and follow suit. They could definitely kick ass....awesome park!! I'll add this in as well....PACK IT IN,PACK IT OUT!!!! KEEP IT CLEAN!!!! :dblthumb:

johneddie said:
Absolutely love to wheel at Harlan. Our group usually rides there 3-5 times per year. Not necessarily the event weekends other than Fall Crawl. With that being said....Fall Crawl has no resemblance to an organized event anymore. Last few years there has been no vendor participation to speak of,if any.Hate to see the park lose attendance and go downhill. Great place to wheel and would love to see the town of Evarts and the county of Harlan capitalize on it. Know they're making money now I'm sure but the potential is there to make LOTS more.Hopefully someone will step up and see what the other parks are doing and follow suit. They could definitely kick ass....awesome park!! I'll add this in as well....PACK IT IN,PACK IT OUT!!!! KEEP IT CLEAN!!!! :dblthumb:

We seen more trash there this year than any other year there. Never seen as many beer cans off the ledge at mason jar.

ranger11 said:
We seen more trash there this year than any other year there. Never seen as many beer cans off the ledge at mason jar.
Littering is something I can't comprehend,just don't understand people being so ignorant. The idiots fawk it up for the rest of us "responsible" people!!
I like a few cold ones same as lots of others while wheelin' :drinkers: but our group doesn't litter....never have,never will!! Not that hard to toss it back in the cooler or carry a small bag for your trash!! I'm in the crawler/bouncer crowd and I tend to think most of the problem comes from the SxS crowd!! Just my opinion....lot of disrespectful newbs out there. Shame... :****:

Re:

09zkrankin said:
Fwiw, im still somewhat new to wheeling, just got into it last summer and haven't been to harlan ( going in June). But it seems to me that harlan depends on people who wheel there to spread the word. I haven't really saw much promoting of the park, by the park. That being said I have heard alot of people talk about how great it is and that is why I decided to check it out. I live 10 minutes from rush off-road so I am there nearly every weekend, but it seems that the owner of the park, EB Lawman does a lot of work to promote the park and to help it grow and stay in the eye of the wheeling community

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

if you were there 3 or 4 years ago you would be amazed compared to now. they had organized events, competitions, vendors..etc now nothing. I remember when the lower rock garden and little jaggar where lined with wheelers watching. and I have to agree with ranger11..... I was amazed how much trash was on the mountain when we went up for the april fools ride.
According to some post on KYMC.org there is a park maintance crew that is responsible for keeping up with trail maintance and opening new trails..... in the 4 years ive been going ive only seen 1 new obstical....steel hill which is only 25 yards long from start to finish. we rode up to mason jar and I couldn't believe how bad it had gotten. I remember years ago a vehicle on 33's could do mason jar......no way now from what I saw. as mentioned some trails are becoming impassable

Re: Re: Re: Harlan KY Attendance

highrolrcustoms said:
Don't get me wrong I love Harlan but I wanna go where the action is.

Create your own action and then you'll always be there.

I happen to enjoy Harlan for what it is, not the events.

I also don't have a problem with obstacles becoming "impassable". Sure, access roads can be maintained, but bulldozing obstacles from a trail is a bunch of ****

Was just there. April fools ride we loved it going up move
"Our " fall tide from windrock to harlan most likely. It was great

TBItoy said:
Create your own action and then you'll always be there.

I happen to enjoy Harlan for what it is, not the events.

I also don't have a problem with obstacles becoming "impassable". Sure, access roads can be maintained, but bulldozing obstacles from a trail is a bunch of ****

there is a difference in trail maintance and bulldozing. but when trails become impassable they don't get fixed..... take upper damination....if bacon boys say its impassable...I seriously doubt anyone else can make it up so the trail gets shut down. same as pony hill with the trees down across it that wizzo reported months ago...trees are still down... until they get out and cut the trees off the trail it cant be attempted.

and if you talk to the locals about Harlan......it was the events that brought in there money and kept small businesses open.....not the few wheelers that come through the year. we talked to the lady who operates the gas station across from the dairy hut and she said they do more business during southern shine crawl and fall crawl then they do all year

We had about 35 rigs there for our ride this past weekend I think. There was also another group there for a wedding that had several rigs. The camp ground was full as well all of the Black Mountain Cabins. Our event is done solely by our local forum but we have a good turnout. Next year I will post up the details here if anyone would like to attend.

The comment about Mason Jar... A vehicle on 33's could still easily do that trial if you don't care about BD and have a winch for a couple of spots. And how in GODS NAME would you suggest fixing the trail so it could be done easier? It's one of the furthest trails out there and would be next to impossible to get equipment on it. I love that trail, the main trail is fairly easy and has sever good obstacles that you can choose to do throughout as well as multiple lines.

There are trails thought that do need attention. I don't understand why Your Turn has not gotten some attention. We didn't run Crawfords cry but from hearing from some guys in our group the top has been filled in some.

Honestly thought, I think that's what makes Harlan so unique. It's always changing. You can get a long ways into a trail and get surprised. You may need a winch or two to get out of a predicament. That to me is more fun that just getting on a hill and either make it or break it.

We rode 115 trail miles this past weekend and did most of the named trails other than Pony Hill and Tail Gate and Cream Puff. Was gonna do cream puff Saturday evening but lost a brake caliper on the way down the mountain bolts and all so we called it a day a little early.

Ive got no problem with mason jar.....ive walked it many times....deff no winching but when we went there this past time there was a group of rigs on 37-39s. Fairly stock and were winching non stop...id hate to see how long it would have taken them to finish the trail...most people didnt wanna wait and just turned and went back down the mountain...id love to see a rig on 33s go through it...lol.
My comment was directed more about the maintance......trees down or impassable trails.

When we were there a couple of weeks ago, we ran up yourturn, there was acouple of buggies working the exit pretty hard so we backed up and used the bypass exit, (which was pretty fun do to the rain) then we ran Crawford's Cry and the top of it has been worked on since I was on it a couple of years ago, the huge ruts have been filled in with some rock and dirt. I didn't get in Mason Jar do to one of our rigs having issues and not wanting to send him back around by himself, but the 3 rigs in our group that went through it said it was for sure more challenging and work than it has ever been in the past, but they said it was mainly due to the rain and mud.

highrolrcustoms said:
Ive got no problem with mason jar.....ive walked it many times....deff no winching but when we went there this past time there was a group of rigs on 37-39s. Fairly stock and were winching non stop...id hate to see how long it would have taken them to finish the trail...most people didnt wanna wait and just turned and went back down the mountain...id love to see a rig on 33s go through it...lol.
My comment was directed more about the maintance......trees down or impassable trails.

I'd say upper damnation has run it's course as a trail, if it's no longer possible, then well that's that, it's a canyon now and can return to it's natural state.

I'll bring a chainsaw and cut out the trees down across pony hill if anyone actually wants to run it. Most likely if no one makes it known, or asks park maintenance directly to cut it, then they assume no one cares, or may not even know about it.

We ran Mason jar in regular ol Toyotas on 38" swampers and didn't have problems a few months ago

I think most of the rain you don't see big events in Harlan is the lack of area and facilities to actually host an event (the kind of event with raffles, vendors, concessions, and all that bs).

Now an SRRS type race... Well that may be an insurance fiasco because of the type of park Black Mountain is (not privately owned)

TBItoy said:
I'd say upper damnation has run it's course as a trail, if it's no longer possible, then well that's that, it's a canyon now and can return to it's natural state.

I'll bring a chainsaw and cut out the trees down across pony hill if anyone actually wants to run it. Most likely if no one makes it known, or asks park maintenance directly to cut it, then they assume no one cares, or may not even know about it.

We ran Mason jar in regular ol Toyotas on 38" swampers and didn't have problems a few months ago

I think most of the rain you don't see big events in Harlan is the lack of area and facilities to actually host an event (the kind of event with raffles, vendors, concessions, and all that bs).

Now an SRRS type race... Well that may be an insurance fiasco because of the type of park Black Mountain is (not privately owned)

The same day wizzo mentioned trees down I passed it along to KYMC.org who was the ones promoting the events. KYMC.org went down because the group of the website stopped paying the bills and didnt want to run it anymore. My neighbor and good friend shawn....aka gubni took over the website in hopes to give people a place to find info on harlan.
Anytime someone has a concern with harlan I pass it along immediately. Its just to the point they do not care much anymore.
Tbitoy...if you havent seen mason jar lately....you would be suprised.......a rig on 33s might even have to winch on the small ledges before you even get to the whale tail rock. A year ago those were speed bumps..lol.

I did notice that SRRS mentioned having an event there in the fall but havent seen any dates or details

They use to hold events in verda field....plenty of room and parking. Then ive even seen vendors set up down from lower rock garden years ago

MY MAIN CONCERN IS I DONT WANNA SEE THE PARK SHUT DOWN!!

Why start any rumors or concerns of the park shutting down? They have a 30yr lease or something with the owners. A lot of guys from NC that used to wheel there have gotten out or are still there cruising in sxs. What may be lacking in crawler attendance is totally made up for with the sxs. We were there this yr and didn't have to wait on anyone, anywhere, it was awesome. I've been going to Harlan for 9yrs now, love the place. I have plans to go back at least two more times this yr and I'm 4hrs away.

This thread should be about opening new trails if anything. The property is huge. Plenty of places for more trails. And yes, for those of us that have been going there since it officially opened, we have been running the same trails for a long time now.

ranger11 said:

When I saw this I wanted to throat punch the next dumb **** I saw throw trash out on the trail. If it doesn't get done before I get back up there I'll just tie off to my winch line and pick up a bag full.

GONOVRIT said:
When I saw this I wanted to throat punch the next dumb **** I saw throw trash out on the trail. If it doesn't get done before I get back up there I'll just tie off to my winch line and pick up a bag full.
x2.....my thoughts exactly! Only thing with warm weather coming on I'd be little skiddish of the possibility of running into a damn snake! :****:
Hates them sumbitches!!! :eek:

highrolrcustoms said:
The same day wizzo mentioned trees down I passed it along to KYMC.org who was the ones promoting the events. KYMC.org went down because the group of the website stopped paying the bills and didnt want to run it anymore. My neighbor and good friend shawn....aka gubni took over the website in hopes to give people a place to find info on harlan.
Anytime someone has a concern with harlan I pass it along immediately. Its just to the point they do not care much anymore.
Tbitoy...if you havent seen mason jar lately....you would be suprised.......a rig on 33s might even have to winch on the small ledges before you even get to the whale tail rock. A year ago those were speed bumps..lol.

I did notice that SRRS mentioned having an event there in the fall but havent seen any dates or details

They use to hold events in verda field....plenty of room and parking. Then ive even seen vendors set up down from lower rock garden years ago

MY MAIN CONCERN IS I DONT WANNA SEE THE PARK SHUT DOWN!!

I gotcha, still don't know that the park maintenance has been specifically notified of trees down, etc (They may not ever read forums, or even 4wheel)

Anyway, I agree, I don't want to see Black Mtn shut down either, but with the additions and signage that has been added (liscense/snack shack at the trail head, new signs, maps, etc) I can't see that they are doing too bad.

I'd rather see Harlan keep that "wilderness" about it, like Tellico was. Certain trails are difficult, and are ACTUAL trails. Not just a bunch of obstacles with dirt roads running right beside them like a lot of the parks are becoming because of the :tc in stock rigs and RZRs.

I'd hate to see Black Mtn drop a bunch of $ on facitlies and equipment, just to realize that they are not sustainable and have to be liquidated....

Wanting to turn Black Mtn into a big nut swinger rock bouncer event park like Gray Rock or Morris Mtn is just wrong IMO. Especially for the type of park that it is, the size of the park, etc.

Maybe cutting some new trails on different areas of the mountain would be good. I'd be all for that, especially some rock crawling/dry creek bed/canyon type trails.

You cant' depend on the park maintenance to cut trails, you have to get permission and get a group together and cut them.

We cut trails at Golden Mountain, help with downed trees, etc. The people that operate the park can't go run the extreme trails and keep them open all the time. Hell, you can't even get equipment in to work on stuff that becomes "impassable".

We ran Mason Jar in November.

We usually camp up in the park, I've rarely seen much trash at all. Any we see we try to pick up.

Well here is my thoughts and some facts, the area is hurting as a whole because of the coal business and the coal brings in severance money to the county here in Pike co the severance money was cut over half of what was in the county budget so Harlan Co was cut bad I am sure. Yes we bring money to the area and they are pleased to see the crowds I do not think they have the extra money to throw around at the big events like they once did. I have called Ken at the Evarts and talked to him once this year about the tree at pony hill and the road going down into lower damnation but seen at the Fools ride had not been done and also spoke to him about a SRRS event and said they had been talking about it with the park board and insurance with the problem of where is all the people watching going to be at a lot of safety hurdles to jump we will see, need more people calling the evarts trail head and telling Ken what they want to see, this place is there money maker and they need people to show up. I thought Fall Crawl last year was huge lots of people was there some big name guys and sweet rigs 2 tons of rzr's Lions den was backed up down the hill, they may have not made many new trails but it changes every time I am there sometimes easier and other is harder there is so much to ride there with tons of trails its hard for me to get bored and we go about 6 times a year. I hope to the park do great and grow the other parks are fairly new also so they are trying to spread the word and that is how it is done I say good luck to all the OHV Parks it is a uphill battle for them all with the gov. and tree huggers