• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help!!!

zukkev

Cornfuzzled yet again...
Ok, The rig is a 99 7.3L PSD, and my buddy was driving into town to grab a bite, and he described the symptom as a misfire/knock, so he shut it down....checked the oil level---all was ok, went to restart, and the damn thing would not start; Cranks over great, just no fire/no smoke...
I asked him if he can hear the fuel pump, answer is yes...Also, pulled the filter and the housing is full of fuel...He just filled it the night before, so I asked that he make sure it smells like diesel---it does. I asked if he sees the tach move while cranking---yup... Also the SES light comes on with the key, then goes out (like normal), but he has no way to pull codes (if there are any)...
The issue here is, I am in b'ham and he's currently at his river property west of Vancouver Wa, near Clifton...
Is there anyone in the Greater Vancouver area (shop or otherwise) that KNOWS PSD's, that is willing to help him out??? He is not afraid to spend money to fix the truck, but by the same token does not want to get ripped off!!!
If I didn't already have a full plate this weekend, I'd head down myself...

I did NEW injectors a yr ago as well as BERU (motorcraft) glow plugs, and the VC's and UVC harnesses were in good shape at that time... I suspect the IDM may have **** the bed, but from here I am just pissing in the wind guessing....

High pressure oil pump Kev

or crank sensors are super duper common on those things and way easy to replace. one 8mm bolt right on the front of the motor behind the fan costs like 30 bucks id start there

Id put money on crank sensor though, replaced a bunch and i know people who carry the correct wrech and /or socket and spare sensor cause they go out at random super weird. They fit super snug but do pop out fairly easy should be able to do it on the side of the road in 5 minutes or less and zero mess

sizeimage.php

I was going to say what Sam said, my guess would be CPS. My truck was doing weird **** like that, it would sputter, lose power, cut out and die, mine never left me stranded at least, changed it and it ran like new again. When I did some research, the dying and never starting again was pretty common when the CPS took a dump. I paid like $30 and under 10 min to do, definitely the first place I would start.

Yeah, I know they fail alot Sam, in fact I have replaced the one in this very truck a few yrs ago (back in '10 IIRC)... but the symptom/scenerio of events doesn't sound like a crank sensor...I may be wrong, but...

Yeah, I know they fail alot Sam, in fact I have replaced the one in this very truck a few yrs ago (back in '10 IIRC)... but the symptom/scenerio of events doesn't sound like a crank sensor...I may be wrong, but...

Cheap and easy place to start though :awesomework: :cool:

He has no way of pulling codes.

Dont matter, replace crank sensor problem continues pull it back out clean it up real good and return it saying you didnt end up needing it :redneck: easy self dignostic to at least elminate the easy issue :awesomework:

High pressure oil pump Kev

or crank sensors are super duper common on those things and way easy to replace. one 8mm bolt right on the front of the motor behind the fan costs like 30 bucks id start there

NEW high pressure oil pump at the time of the injectors too...Had oil leaks at the plugs...

I have heard of a lot of the Super Duty guys have had to change the things almost yearly, so just because it was done a few years ago I wouldnt rule it out.

I thought I had fuel system issues at first, and that seems to be what most of the symptoms of the CPS taking a dump mimics.

This certainly ain't my first rodeo with CPS's, and maybe his description of the symptom is off, which is why I did not think CPS to be the fault, since he sees tach movement while cranking......I will see if he's up to trying it in the am, if he can get to a parts house...He's kinda in the middle of no where...:redneck:

Last edited:
Ok, I just got off the phone with him again, and this time I was able to get a more accurate description of the issue---was running fine, then suddenly it'd cut out momentarily-like someone was flipping an on/off switch to the power source--no check engine light! THIS sounds a lot like a CPS issue...He's gonna try and get into town tomorrow to grab one... Thanks again for listening to me ramble :redneck: / offering ideas! :beer:

Yup I would agree with CPS, sounds exactly like what mine did. does the tach bounce a little while cranking? If no my money is on CPS.

Have him unplug the IPC? cant remeber if that the right name. on top the d/s valve cover see if it changes anything usually wont keep it from starting but sometimes it will. Unplugging it will make it run on pre programmed maps.

Latest posts