• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help!!!

Ford did a recall on the CPS. I had already suffered a near cps failure (stumble, stop turn off restart) and had replaced it with one from Navistar (had heard Navistar parts were the same but better). I had heard that this was a common problem so I put another new one from Navistar in the glovebox. I still had the reciept and handed it in to the service counter at the Ford dealer. They cut me a check for the reciept. All has been good.

Either CPS or UVC harness. I've had both fail and cause the symptoms described. How is the fuel level? I never trust the miles until empty in the overhead computer. I did once and ran it dry... will never do that again.

Does he use the tilt column much? I guess there issue a wire in the column that gets cut a lot... I was told the new harness is rerouted or shorter or something to correct the issue. But I have had the cps issue as well... I walked into the dealer and they just handed me one when I told them the truck was dead in the middle of Ben Howard... They only asked if I was Ok to install it.

Tilt column sits in one place... He's the only driver.
I have not heard from him yet, but the tank was filled the night before, and driven home (~20 miles) without issue...
ICP unplugged will default oil pressure map to ~700psi, IF the ICP sensor is at fault, while actual high psi oil system is ok...then it would start in a default mode.
Well aware of the recall, this one's been done---twice...They originally installed the non-updated CPS due to lack of stock, then replaced it again after about a year (no issues with the one that was in there, they just called him when the stock was replenished...)...

I have not heard from him yet as to whether they got the truck running...will keep you all posted. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Soooooo, got word on what the deal was---the CPS did nothing to help this...
The fuel filter was clogged...as in so clogged it would not pass fuel apparently once he shut it off.
Now, I did the injectors about 1.5 yrs ago due to one sticking open on the oil side causing a no start, and replaced the fuel filter then as PM, and all was fine. I was under the impression, as was he, the shop he has his oil changes done at were also doing the fuel filter... Apparently NOT! Since I did the injectors, it's been driven over 30K :mad:
Sounds like I will now be doing his oil changes AND fuel filters from now on...:haha:

My 95 7.3L died on me on I90 just out of Eburg one day. That was my fuel filter eye opener. Now I change them out with my oil every 5k on the dodge. They are $9 and they protect my $3000 injectors.

I carry a spare fuel filter and CPS in my ford at all times.

Hey did anyone mention the fuel filter?

Its free to check? :D
Ummm, yeah someone did...:fawkdancesmiley: But I already had him pop it out before starting this thread :D, and He being the mechanically challenged dude he is managed to conjur up a way to get the housing cap loose to check the filter on the side of the road at 8 in the evening, and me being clear across the state didn't have the opportunity to put my eyeballs on the filter media...He said the housing was full of fuel, and 'looked' like clean diesel to him, didn't mention a thing about what the filter media looked like--I shoulda asked him, but didn't after the 'clean' statement. The boat mechanic they have down there took a look for him the next morning, after they towed it back down the hill to their house the night before, and said the filter 'looked like death!!!', they replaced it, and she rattled back to life!!!
...He made it back up here with zero issues after replacement. Again, thanks all for the ideas, and ribbings! :haha:

My 95 7.3L died on me on I90 just out of Eburg one day. That was my fuel filter eye opener. Now I change them out with my oil every 5k on the dodge. They are $9 and they protect my $3000 injectors.

I carry a spare fuel filter and CPS in my ford at all times.
Working on Cummins motors for a living now, I can safely tell you changing the fuel filter every oil change is way overkill...Do it every other if you must, but Cummins has a 12K regimen on the ISB 6.7L, and ISL motors we have at work...Save yourself a few bucks.:awesomework:
You still have the PSD??? What about the 5th wheel trailer?

Working on Cummins motors for a living now, I can safely tell you changing the fuel filter every oil change is way overkill...Do it every other if you must, but Cummins has a 12K regimen on the ISB 6.7L, and ISL motors we have at work...Save yourself a few bucks.:awesomework:
You still have the PSD??? What about the 5th wheel trailer?

If hes only paying 9 bucks a filter its cheap insurance....cummins little motors are picky bastards for clean fuel, and the size of the filter compared to what your working on is roughly have to 1/3 the size :awesomework:

I change mine every other oil change. The first filter went 60k before popping the relay and killing the truck. In Arizona, towing a trailer, up a grade... My Dad didn't realize the fuel filter had to be changed more regularly, whoops.

Ya Kev, I still got the Ford... she has some rust on the bed around the rear wheel wells. I was going to fix it up a little and try and sell it but now I am thinking of just taking a lose and seeing if someone wants a truck for cheap. The trailer is sold also. Im skinnying up my fleet.

My Cummins is a 5.9L in a 2005 truck, I run Baldwin filters from truckhelp.com I think. I buy them in a case so I think they are around $10 each. I have just heard way to many stories of premature injector wear and failure due to unfiltered fuel being pushed thru at a high PSI on the CR trucks. I am at 138k on the clock with no smoke and no injector problems yet. Time will tell.

Those injectors fail regardless of clean fuel. That's why the design was changed on the 6.7. If you buy new bodies for a 5.9, they are the new style and your nozzles will no longer work.

Like I said, Im aware and bracing for when it happens. I hope I never does but Its a fact of life I guess for a 5.9l.

My bad on the filter price, its $108 + $16 shipping for a 9 pack.

I need to start buying these in bulk for my 7.3. Wix filter was 40 after tax at the parts place here. They have a "house brand" that was 17 bucks, but not in stock. :rolleyes:

I know right?!!??!!!! I priced the Napa unit for giggles...YUP, $39 and change after Uncle Sam!:yikes: :wtf: I about sheit myself when they said the price. DO NOT USE WIX if you can help it...There have been issues with the sealing, as well as the filter media not holding together...rated one of the worst filters to use in a PSD (Yes, a study was done)... I have been using Baldwin (which is MUCH better than WIX/NAPA), and acceptable by many Ford enthusiast forums/factory Ford PSD techs...Not to mention they are only $15-ish bucks...:awesomework: