• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How many is to many?

jeeptj99 said:
The power strokes aren't supposed to be that bad are they? I know they aren't a cummins but I haven't heard that many bad things about them.

What kind of MPG are you getting and how much weight are you towing just out of curiosity?

The 6.0 Powerstrokes are. The few people that I know that had one all had EGR cooler/head gasket issues.

My LBZ Dmax got ~20 unloaded, 15-17 pulling one rig on 20' trailer + gear, and 10-11 pulling 2 rigs on 34' trailer + cab full of dudes + 3 days worth of camping gear.

How much is too much for this many...?

Would you buy this truck? I'm thinking about upgrading from my $500 Yukon... I was gonna get a decent Suburban but the wife wants a truck since we already have her 4runner as a "nice" SUV, and I dont own anything to pull anyway.

https://www.jimmylewisautos.com/inventory/details/38993078

Clean as hell but has 230K on it, for $8900 (probably get it for a bit less..)

992017156.jpg

As high as them trucks are now, that price is in the average ballpark, but I just couldn't give $9k for a truck with 230k miles on it. I gave $12k for mine with 110k miles on it last year, 2005 model. But it's ext cab, not crew. That one Chad had just like you posted a pic of there had 150k-ish, crew cab, clean as **** with brand new BFG KO2 tires and it was priced at $12,500.

Me personally, I'd take my time and try to find one with 150k or less in the $10k range. They are out there, every now and then, even the older body 2002ish models will pop up. Just seen one not too long ago a buddy was selling, like 140k miles, 2002 stepside ext cab for something like $9500.

Friend of mine just got a deal on a crew cab just like you posted with around 150k miles for $6500, super clean truck, but one of his wife's relatives hooked him up on it, was a trade in at a Chevy dealer.

They are out there, just takes time to find the right one and you gotta jump when you find one. When mine was sitting outside at the body shop my dad works at in between them pulling it in and working on it, they had 2 people stop in trying to buy it. Those trucks hold their value good, probably as good as or better than a Tacoma these days. Do a KBB value on mine and it will tell you it ain't worth but $9-10k, yet every one on Craigslist, most with a lot more miles than mine, are listed for $12-13k. The market is crazy on these trucks.

Another point for the mileage argument though is this. People seem to not think twice about buying a Duramax, 7.3L, or Cummins truck with over 200k miles, and pay good money for one too. I'm sure the same gamble could be taken on a half ton gasser and probably be no better or worse off. People say diesels last forever, but how much do they spend maintaining the engines? I see all sorts of diesel failure threads/posts all the time, rarely see gasser failures. For what one spends maintaining a high mileage diesel over the course of ownership, could easily equate to buying a 100k mile junkyard LS to replace the current one in that truck if it did decide to **** the bed beyond repair one day.

Also, are you only looking at half tons and are you only considering crew cab vs. ext cab?

I can't believe that driver's seat doesn't look like ****. I wonder if the lower part has been replaced, or the whole seat? Not that it matters, that just looks like a really clean and lightly used truck from the pics to have that many miles.

Since you are content working on your own **** and don't want to spend much more to get a lower mile truck, I say go test drive it and you should know whether you want it or not. Might have the steering wheel knock, might need new shocks, balljoints, bearings, brakes, **** might be leaking under it, no telling until test driven and inspected in person. But if it checks out, drives right, may be a pretty good deal for you.

Crew Cab only. I had an ext cab and hate the little suicide doors.

If that truck is still around in a week or 2 I may go wave $7500 in front of em and see if they'll bite. I went and looked at it after hours.

I think the one panel on the seat bottom that usually wears a hole has been replaced, it looks a bit newer than the rest of the seat.
I figure worst case scenario I put a trans or engine in it, although I wouldn't be expecting to have to. But it looks like all highway miles.
Bed is in good shape (not beat up) and no rust at all in the cab. Looks like it just ran up and down the interstate.

Then I'm looking around and see tons of these trucks with 300K plus, and they are asking $7-8000.

This truck looks in good shape but damn..., 4.8 4wd cloth seat truck 354K $7800
http://www.lsn.com/trucks/07-silverado-4x4-crew-cab/5610311.html

Re: How many is to many?

Hell if he needs quick cash, I'd go wave 7000 at them. You'll drive away

2 years ago I paid $11,500 for a GMC 2500HD 4x4 with a 6L gas with 241K on it. Been a great truck so far and pulled 36ft toyhauler with buggy and rzr through the Tennessee mountains with no problem. Probably 14-15K lb load. Haven't had any issues other than the **** heater core connectors. I basically only use it to tow. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one with that kind of miles.

Used truck prices are as high as bird ***** so if you find a clean truck that makes you happy jump on it. The prices are way to high on all of them.

Traded for my 00 2500 Silverado ext cab 4wd 6.0 late 2016, with clear coat pealing. Runs like champ and pulls great. It doesnt take off like my 97 f250 7.3, but pulls better everywhere else. I have less than $5500 in it but it has 291k.