• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hydro help

Maverick26

As iron sharpens iron...
I am running into issues with my steering. I am running a 4.3L V6 with the stock P pump and it only lasted 3 trips out wheelin. I have a 2"x8" ram from surplus center. I was gonna upgrade to a HO PSC pump with res the other day so I called PSC and talk to the guy and he said its not my pump its my ram that killed the pump and I need to buy there 2.5" ram. I take it this guy knows what he is talking about but I still dont get it. A 2" ram should be plenty of power to turn my tires. I was thinking about getting a new stock pump and redneck moding it to put out more flow and pressure. See if that got me anywhere. What do you guys think about all of this? Should I buy a new 2.5" ram and pump/res kit from PSC or try building my own pump to work with my ram. Any experiances?

When you say your pump dies--what does it do? How big of a cooler do you have and roughly how big of a res do you have?

haha.

I have a 2 inch ram on the stomper. it gets turned by a STOCK gm pump thats been on it for along time. It turns rockwells on beadlocked 53s just fine.

Before I put a cooler on it years ago, it got so hot the hard lines would burn you if you touched them.

PS. schucks or vatozone cheapy pumps dont last long in cars.

In a 4x4 try to get an OLD pump made with good materials.

I have a 9"x16" IIRC aluminum cooler mounted on the front of my rad that gets good air flow. My res and pump are all stock right now. The pump started to squeek on the way back from wheelin one day and now I cant turn at all at idle if the buggy is sitting still. If I drive a little to get the tires rolling and bring the rpms up it turns ok, not great... kinda jumpy.

Did you have difficulty turning before the pump went bad? The diameter and length of the ram are relative to the mechanical leverage of the steering arms and linkage.

Last edited:
Did you have difficulty turning before the pump went bad? The diameter and length of the ram are reletive to the mechanical leverage of the steering arms and linkage.

No it used to work good. On the 3rd trip out it started squeeking and getting hard to trun unless my rpms were up.

I agree too. It was the guy on Pirate the reps PSC. I feel like going on there and rosting his ass. He was gonna give me a good deal but still, thats low to suggest replacing your ram if you dont need to. I am gonna get a new pump and maybe mod the valve to get a little more flow and pressure and call it good.

It was the guy on Pirate the reps PSC. I feel like going on there and rosting his ass.

There are way too many nut swingers on Pirate to make that work. Just write it off as a lesson learned that didn't cost you anything. When people ask you for your opinion of a vendor you can pass on your opinion.:awesomework:

I hear you loud and clear. He probably dont even work for PSC, just has a PSC sign on his avitar. lame!:rb:

Have somebody turn the wheel while you watch the pump. I'll bet the pully stops when you crank it all the way over. Squeak and jerky is usually a loose or worn belt.

X2 on the tryin to make a sale bs lots of shady peeps out there.
I did the redneck mods then added a stacked plate cooler of a f150 and remote res.:awesomework:

Have somebody turn the wheel while you watch the pump. I'll bet the pully stops when you crank it all the way over. Squeak and jerky is usually a loose or worn belt.

doubt it, there is nothing on my car that is not new. I just built it. I will try anyway, thanks. :awesomework:

X2 on the tryin to make a sale bs lots of shady peeps out there.
I did the redneck mods then added a stacked plate cooler of a f150 and remote res.:awesomework:

Hey do you have any pictures of how you hooked up a remote res?

Joe, I am not sure how much the stock res holds, I want to say 1qt but I am not sure. A little more fluid with lines and cooler so maybe 1.5qt. I cant remember how much it took to fill it up cause I had to add some after getting all the air out.

Also, what fluid do you all recomend? I have heard hydro fluid is good, I hear of guys running ATF but I have never done that, or just PS fluid? Brands? What works well for full hydro?

Hey do you have any pictures of how you hooked up a remote res?

Joe, I am not sure how much the stock res holds, I want to say 1qt but I am not sure. A little more fluid with lines and cooler so maybe 1.5qt. I cant remember how much it took to fill it up cause I had to add some after getting all the air out.

Also, what fluid do you all recomend? I have heard hydro fluid is good, I hear of guys running ATF but I have never done that, or just PS fluid? Brands? What works well for full hydro?
I run Redline PS fluid in my full Hydro. No issues.