• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I might be crazy....

The state of Washington has a law that limits the square footage that is aloud to be in a rv/toy hauler form. That's why there hard to find in this state. When I was looking I found lots in California and Arizona.

So what about all those huge toy hauler 5th wheels rolling around? :eeek: I think this is just a myth :cool:

I believe Jim was talking about the overhang on the ass end. You will also need to watch your bed rails.:awesomework:

Swing shouldnt be terrible as the axles are a ways back but like i said just got to be more mindful than a little car hauler trailer, cant just haul ass down a dirt road lol:redneck:

So what about all those huge toy hauler 5th wheels rolling around? :eeek: I think this is just a myth :cool:

I was told this by the Washington d.o.l. I'm not worried about it anymore I have a nice diesel pusher now. :redneck:

Swing shouldnt be terrible as the axles are a ways back but like i said just got to be more mindful than a little car hauler trailer, cant just haul ass down a dirt road lol:redneck:

Your going to need to be more concerned with it being fairly low and long. The smallest little dip or rise in a road or parking area can create a big problem with the back or middle dragging, this can also be a problem with the neck of the trailer contacting the bed rails.:awesomework:
When I had my large gooseneck and fifth wheel I ended up lifting both the trailers and trading my lifted pickup for a stocker just to gain clearance everywhere.

Your going to need to be more concerned with it being fairly low and long. The smallest little dip or rise in a road or parking area can create a big problem with the back or middle dragging, this can also be a problem with the neck of the trailer contacting the bed rails.:awesomework:
When I had my large gooseneck and fifth wheel I ended up lifting both the trailers and trading my lifted pickup for a stocker just to gain clearance everywhere.

I somehow managed to screw up that quote. :redneck:

Trust me i know not my first rodeo :redneck:

This is also why i have kept my truck bone stock as far as height and tires goes :cool:

They do make a 6K 8lug axle for 12K rated trailers...maybe they're the same axle as a 7k, just dumbed down a bit!?!?:redneck:

That's just dumb. Why do they make things confusing? Springs might play into the weight I suppose.

I say just load it up Sam. When the axles start to smile, take a little bit of weight off. :redneck:

That's just dumb. Why do they make things confusing? Springs might play into the weight I suppose.

I say just load it up Sam. When the axles start to smile, take a little bit of weight off. :redneck:

That's usually how I roll :redneck:

I put an 8600# bobcat on a 7K trailer so combined weight of trailer and bobcat was 10500 LOL!! :redneck:

That's usually how I roll :redneck:

I put an 8600# bobcat on a 7K trailer so combined weight of trailer and bobcat was 10500 LOL!! :redneck:

:haha: your not the only one an the trailer I used had car tires on it:redneck: now that was a scary ride

The "5200 lb" axles on my 9900 capacity dump trailer run the same spindles, bearing and brakes as the the axles on my 12K tilt, just 6-lug instead of 8-lug. When shopping for brake parts, it was also the same stuff the 7K axles use.

Tires make a huge difference, the dump trailer originally had 15" rims and 2300 lbs tires... needless to say it was easy to overload them. I now run 16" rims and "E" range LT's, MUCH better feeling going down the road.....

Put good tires on it, carry a couple spares, don't exceed the "printed" GVW in-case you get weighed or something and roll with it. Technically unless you have a Class A CDL driver's license (and books to go with it), your not even supposed to be towing a trailer over 10K (14K for a 5th wheel IIRC).

Technically unless you have a Class A CDL driver's license (and books to go with it), your not even supposed to be towing a trailer over 10K (14K for a 5th wheel IIRC).

The 10k limit only applies if your GCWR is 26,001 lbs and up. As long as the combination weight is 26k or below, trailer weight doesn't matter.

Washington has exemptions for RVs and horse trailers though, doesn't matter how much their GVWR is. If the trailer is registered as an RV, technically you should be fine (as long as you remove all those business wraps off of it).

Here is a flow chart describing who needs a CDL:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/cdlrequired.html

The exceptions:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/cdlexempt.html

The "5200 lb" axles on my 9900 capacity dump trailer run the same spindles, bearing and brakes as the the axles on my 12K tilt, just 6-lug instead of 8-lug. When shopping for brake parts, it was also the same stuff the 7K axles use.

Tires make a huge difference, the dump trailer originally had 15" rims and 2300 lbs tires... needless to say it was easy to overload them. I now run 16" rims and "E" range LT's, MUCH better feeling going down the road.....

Put good tires on it, carry a couple spares, don't exceed the "printed" GVW in-case you get weighed or something and roll with it. Technically unless you have a Class A CDL driver's license (and books to go with it), your not even supposed to be towing a trailer over 10K (14K for a 5th wheel IIRC).

The 10k limit only applies if your GCWR is 26,001 lbs and up. As long as the combination weight is 26k or below, trailer weight doesn't matter.

Washington has exemptions for RVs and horse trailers though, doesn't matter how much their GVWR is. If the trailer is registered as an RV, technically you should be fine (as long as you remove all those business wraps off of it).

The exceptions:

I should be below the 26K limit but wont know for sure until I weigh it when loaded for a weekend, just did some rough calculations and I should be right about 23-24K

BUT its register as an RV so none of that really even matters :redneck: loop holes are great:awesomework:

Scale weight doesnt matter, it is based off of GCWR, not actual weight. The truck's GVWR + the trailer's GVWR = GCWR

Since it's registered as an RV you should be good though...

The exceptions:
I was going to say check again, but then I followed your links. Looks like someone finally got a brain, the direct RCW's USED to say over 10K trailer = Class A. Read it many times and the way it was written the only way around it was a 14K 5th-wheel RV trailer.

It was stupid. If that flow chart is accurate (and a MUCH simpler way to understand things), then they finally got smart and made it more logical. So end of line, if the GVCW of your truck and trailer is under 26,001, your good to go!! I'm surprised to see no weight restriction on "RV", but that's also nice. I also notice that they got ride of the "air brakes = CDL" requirement.

Ya keep the stickers off. Unless they changed that as well, Racing = For Profit = Commercial = No longer "recreation purposes", even though very few of us "make" any money when we race :D

I'd find me a nice single axle MTD/Toter and rock the hell out of that thing.... if I had a different life.

:awesomework:

Ya keep the stickers off. Unless they changed that as well, Racing = For Profit = Commercial = No longer "recreation purposes", even though very few of us "make" any money when we race :D

Yeah, the whole Racing = For Profit = Commercial thing still applies from what I have found.

I have been going LOTS of reading on this subject since I bought the F550. There is so much confusion and misinformation out there. I have been saving all the relevant pages from the DOL and WSP regarding this stuff.

The RV exception seems to be the easiest route to go. I'm currently trying to figure out what kind of hoops I'd have jump through for building and licensing something like this as a single RV:
454027d1247528667-lets-see-your-trailers-campers-homemade-001.jpg

Haven't had much luck though.

Scale weight doesnt matter, it is based off of GCWR, not actual weight. The truck's GVWR + the trailer's GVWR = GCWR

Since it's registered as an RV you should be good though...

I was going to say check again, but then I followed your links. Looks like someone finally got a brain, the direct RCW's USED to say over 10K trailer = Class A. Read it many times and the way it was written the only way around it was a 14K 5th-wheel RV trailer.

It was stupid. If that flow chart is accurate (and a MUCH simpler way to understand things), then they finally got smart and made it more logical. So end of line, if the GVCW of your truck and trailer is under 26,001, your good to go!! I'm surprised to see no weight restriction on "RV", but that's also nice. I also notice that they got ride of the "air brakes = CDL" requirement.

I'd find me a nice single axle MTD/Toter and rock the hell out of that thing.... if I had a different life.

:awesomework:

Yeah, the whole Racing = For Profit = Commercial thing still applies from what I have found.

Only way they know if your combined GVCW is more than 26K is if you scale it and they decide to inspect you though, i use to drive a commercial truck that went through scales everyday :awesomework:

But for this i wont even enter the scales EVER in this state because its an RV and the graphics are coming off eventually as i have time to deal with it so im not worried about it, the guy i bought it from towed it all over with zero issues even with the graphics :cool:

Lots of gray areas with these trailers so as long as im not an ass i think i will be alright

Lots of gray areas with these trailers so as long as im not an ass i think i will be alright

I think this is more true than not. Most people seem to have no issue but all it take is one overzealous cop and by letter of the law they can sometime nail you to the wall, or at minimum make a big hassle until you can prove them wrong.

Loose the graphics, don't drive like an ass and enjoy your new home on wheels.