• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I Need Diesel Tuner Education

84Toyota4x4

Is there a link you know of somewhere that explains these diesel tuners and how they work or compares their functions/abilities you could point me to? If not, continue reading and see if you can help me out, haha.

It seems there are the "big brand" tuners out there such at Edge, Banks, Hypertech, Bully Dog, etc which are basically a box you somehow interface with the vehicle and you can load various tunes onto the ECU. Is this done via OBD2 port? I assume the tuner is somehow matched to the ECU and can only be used on one truck at a time? Can these tuners support "custom tunes" loaded onto them and selected as you desire, or are you stuck with "off the shelf" tunes? How are these different from EFI Live I keep hearing so many good things about? It seems that this is more of a "tune it" type setup versus a setup where you get "off the shelf" tunes, am I right? If that's the case, I assume you need to find someone who has experience tuning them, or can it be tuned via logging and sending maps back and forth to a tuner to be tweaked, reloaded, logged, rinse and repeat? Does the EFI Live system also involve some kind of hand held unit to interface with the truck? I am seeing tune tools and scan tools on their website, but I thought most of the tuners also had the ability to scan codes as well? Is that not the case with EFI Live?

I guess my basis for comparison is coming from Subaru cars which had hand held tuners you could use to monitor engine parameters, load different tunes, read engine codes, etc but it was locked to one ECU at a time. It came with off the shelf maps you could chose from which best fit the modifications your vehicle has, but you could also either tune it yourself with their software and load that map, or you could have it pro tuned somewhere and they would load the map onto it for you, but those maps couldn't be shared with other ECUs.

The other Subaru option was "open source" tuning, which is what I was doing when I had mine. It required nothing more than a laptop and appropriate USB to OBD2 cable, and a couple software programs you can download for free online that are developed as "open source" software (hence the name of style of tuning). It allowed the user (either a pro tuner or a vehicle owner who knows what there doing) to use the factory flash mode of the ECU to read and write ROM images that you could tune and change as you wished, to include turning on and off monitor functions that triggered various check engine lights. For instance, I could turn off the CEL code for catalyst efficiency below threshold because my car didn't have one, or I could change the temp threshold the cooling fans kicked on at, I could change the rev limiter, etc.

Now, this kind of brings me full circle to where I am going with this. I have read that SOME trucks with the LBZ engine have tossed EGR flow check engine lights after putting exhaust on them, but not all. I am putting exhaust on mine probably next weekend, so I was basically wondering if there was some kind of tuner that would allow me to tell the ECU to ignore that code IF it even shows up. Of course, down the road, the ability to block off the EGR with no additional codes popping up would be nice as well.

The only other option I have seen would be to buy one of those "finger stick" things and splice into the wiring, and I don't like that idea. The benefit of having the ability to tune the truck and potentially get a little better economy or make a little more power would just be a bonus really. Like I said, with a Subaru, turning a code like that off could be done open source for free by a friend who has the right cable (like me). Is this possible for a diesel engine tuning system as well?

~T.J.

There is a reason you keep reading good things about EFI live. They are hands down the best programmer for dmax's. No one ever argues that. You will just need to research whose tunes you want to run, using EFI live.

Edge boxes and others like it just fool a signal. EFI live reprograms the computer for the engine AND the tranny.

Thanks, Jeff.

EFI Live sounds more along the lines of what I was doing with open source tuning previously as far as capability. It seems the difference lies mostly in application (diesel instead of gas) and cost. Looks like EFI Live is going to run up to $1,000 including the 5 map switch and tunes, whereas Subaru/Mitsubishi open source tuning is free aside from the cost of the special cable (~$200) that supports data logging if you do it yourself.

Basically, with my Subaru I could plug in, download the ROM image, make a change on the laptop to turn off a CEL leaving while everything else stock, upload the image back to the ECU, and it's done. So in this case, IF my CEL pops on with the new exhaust I was hoping I could do something similar free or reasonably cheap. Doesn't sound like any of the solutions on the market currently will do that however.

I guess the real root of the ramble is; how do the emissions equipped diesel guys handle check engine lights they want to ignore such as blocked EGR? I guess that's kind of the only one I can think of you would need to ignore, but still. Do they just ignore the light? If you did that and the light was already on, you wouldn't know if something ELSE happened.

~T.J.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with ATP Trucks and have to say, they are SUPER helpful and put up with me answering a ton of stupid questions. I think EFI Live is definitely the way I want to go, I just need to figure out when I want to shell out the money for it...

Last edited:
I just installed a EFI Live programed ECU from duramaxtuners.com in my LB7. I used to have a juice/attitude and there is no comparison. I've owned the truck since new and I love it all over again. :awesomework:

When I was looking at efi tunes for the dmax, there was a guy called idahorob that had a lot of good reviews on the forums. I think his business is alligator performance. I also heard there was a company up in bellingham that does tunes as well. Id definately want to take the truck there and have them tune specific to your needs and have them give you a run down on the setup.

Custom auto is known for their awesome dmax's. They are in Idaho. Alligator is good and in Idaho. Idaho Rob is a good one but can't think of the name of his. DKdiesel is the one in bham.

Yeah, I talked to ATP trucks who have the Idaho Rob tunes. I understand it's an interface, that's what I was looking for more than a "box tuner". I'd like to see more about whats going on and dabble a little in it myself since I was tuning my STi swapped WRX. ATP pretty much answered everything I was curious about, so I think at this point it's just a matter of figuring out how I can come up with the ~$1500 for the Flashscan V2 with tunes, DSP5 switch, Insight CTS, and EGT probe, haha.

~T.J.

It's a decent amount. But the reward is great. I had to spend a hell of a lot more to get the same results without a lot of the conveniences.

You know, I did look into that briefly. Kind of caught my attention due to the lower price, but I didn't see as much about it floating around on the web as EFI Live. First hand experience with it?

~T.J.

since when does it do tuneing?
we have it at work,its our last ditch back up, id much rather use our oem units...

my bad.are you refering tobeing able to do factory flash's?
http://www.autoenginuity.com/products/reprogrammer.html

I was hoping someone else would chime in. I have only used it for figuring out Ford problems. I had no idea it was also the most awesome diesel programmer out there :eeek:

I read all about efi live till I got sick of reading and called up atp and sent them my computer. If your not going with a bigger turbo or a built trans I dont see the advantage to buying efi live to make your on tunes. I think it cost me around 300.00 for 5 tunes and I ran it through an edge cts. Im super happy with this setup, I plugged in the computer and off I went. It really is amazing how much smoother and stronger the motor feels. Also if I set my cruise on 60 mph i get 19mpg :cool: