• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I need opinions please...

Qman

The Camshaft Guy
I am looking to put in a locker in the front axle. But, like most, the funds are tight. The least expensive option is the lock-rite. Next in line is the Detroit. Here in lies the problem, well about 300 of them actually. There is a $300 dollar difference. Will the lock-rite hold up to an '84 yota 4cyl with 4.56 gears and 35" tires?

Thanks guys. Does anyone have first-hand experience with the aussie locker? I have never heard of them until today.

The aussie and lockright work the same i think, never looked into an "aussie locker"..ive used lockrights and welded diffs without problems.

The aussie and lockright work the same i think, never looked into an "aussie locker"..ive used lockrights and welded diffs without problems.

x2 on the lock-rite, I ran 35's, 5.29's and stock birfs without problems for a long time.

aussie has a good web wheelin rep.

Buddy just installed Randy's new "spartan" locker in his D60 and it looked like a pretty nice unit. Priced between the aussie and the lockrite.

Craig's list?? Keep and eye out, maybe you'll get lucky.

the guy who designed the lockrite is the same guy who designed the aussie.

He even says its better. and i've nver heard of anyone exploding an aussie

If you wheel like a sissy you will be fine.

If you really wheel you WILL kill a lunchbox locker.

I have two dead ones here and have removed three others last year alone.

A curved/bent housing WILL also kill these kinds of lockers.

I will not recomend one to anyone. I killed one the last run at reiter, come to think of it the one I killed that time was made from two good halves from two other dead lunchboxes. I should have known better, actually I do but was being cheap and it cost me the last day wheelin at a place now closed.

I had a detroit listed here that I sold on cl for 350. It just sat here for the same price as a lunchbox and no one cared so off to craigs list it went.:rolleyes:

Detroit or E Locker.:beer:

Kev, you make me feel so hardcore!! I like it!:cool:
:kiss: Anytime B-rad!!!:haha:
Alls I'm sayin' is there are a **** ton of the lunchers out there, and yes they are not going to hold up to the most extreme especially when running BIG tires, or if there are other underlying issues with the 3rd/housing.... It all boils down to what kind of use/abuse is it really going to see, and whether the front end has issues...If it's set up properly, and no housing/3rd issues, I think a LR or Aussie would hold up fine with 35's...It does on mine up front, but it only weighs 3K lbs!!:haha:

:kiss: Anytime B-rad!!!:haha:
Alls I'm sayin' is there are a **** ton of the lunchers out there, and yes they are not going to hold up to the most extreme especially when running BIG tires, or if there are other underlying issues with the 3rd/housing.... It all boils down to what kind of use/abuse is it really going to see, and whether the front end has issues...If it's set up properly, and no housing/3rd issues, I think a LR or Aussie would hold up fine with 35's...It does on mine up front, but it only weighs 3K lbs!!:haha:

weight is a big issue. A heavier rig will unlock it more than yours. In your rig it is more of a spool than anything with such light weight. They have bad manners too, almost like a spool unless its forced to unlock. Single springs ratchet too easy, double springs dont unlock much at all.

I have put them in for folks that only wheeled a few times in a year then chewed the teeth off and were screwed on the "one year" warranty too. food for thought.

What does setup properly have to due with anything? its either right or wrongly installed, its not like its adjustable or shimmed?

I am all for a cheaper alternative and will back a cheaper product if it works, I will not back these however.

I even thought my housing was bent, killing the last one but it was perfect when we checked.

I have not however seen a bad V6 lockright. They seem to hold up fine and cheaper too. I run a V6 lockright in the rear and a hipinion elocker up front.

I am trying my hardest to kill the rear V6lockright tho, and if I do Ill be sure to tell all about it!:;

Kev, do you have longs or stock axles?

weight is a big issue. A heavier rig will unlock it more than yours. In your rig it is more of a spool than anything with such light weight. They have bad manners too, almost like a spool unless its forced to unlock. Single springs ratchet too easy, double springs dont unlock much at all.

I have put them in for folks that only wheeled a few times in a year then chewed the teeth off and were screwed on the "one year" warranty too. food for thought.

What does setup properly have to due with anything? its either right or wrongly installed, its not like its adjustable or shimmed?

I am all for a cheaper alternative and will back a cheaper product if it works, I will not back these however.

I even thought my housing was bent, killing the last one but it was perfect when we checked.

I have not however seen a bad V6 lockright. They seem to hold up fine and cheaper too. I run a V6 lockright in the rear and a hipinion elocker up front.

I am trying my hardest to kill the rear V6lockright tho, and if I do Ill be sure to tell all about it!:;

Kev, do you have longs or stock axles?

I agree with the weight thing...:awesomework:

By set up properly, I mean axles centered (or at least reaaalllly close!), proper preload on carrier bearings, and that the carrier bearings go onto the carrier tight (ie: press onto the carrier, not barely, but securely as designed)---if they are loose on the carrier, this allow the carrier to 'walk' around when under load....no matter how much preload there is on the bearings.
And stock axles!!:redneck:....have a new pair of cryo'd birfs (never installed) sitting in a box for when the inevitable happens.... or I may buck up at that time for 30 spliners. The last time I had my front end apart (a yr ago when I thought the LR took a ****) the stock birfs are as smooth and tight as I have ever seen; found the carrier was toast where the bearings press onto (they fell off when I took it apart:haha:); grabbed a good carrier, installed new Koyos onto it, set up a new lockrite into it, and is working just fine!!! Needless to say, the Lockrite I took out looked damn near new... I'd have installed the original LR, but since I had a new one I just installed it instead.
It's lookin' like my original LR will be going into Unc's front axle (as long as the carrier/bearings are ok...:awesomework::;

I am running an Aussie locker in the front of my Yota, and have not had a problems with it. It seems quieter than some lockrights, I have never heard it ratchet or click.

And stock axles!!:redneck:....have a new pair of cryo'd birfs (never installed) sitting in a box for when the inevitable happens.... or I may buck up at that time for 30 spliners. :;

If you not killing axles then that explains why the locker is fine too. :D

If you are killing stock birfs and feel you need 30 spliners then get a detroit and stop tearing the front end apart.

I also feel the longs kill them quicker. They will twist alot of energy up untill it finnaly unlocks and BANG!!

Its not just big rigs either. My roomate runs 34s on a yota and his lunchbox busted/chipped out the pins too.