• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I need someone to finish building my buggy, but who?

gubni

www.lugnut4x4.com
I have had a buggy project in the works for a few years. I have made huge mistakes letting people who were not experienced do work on it. It's 90% complete, but still several issues and I want someone with the right experience to get it done. Tell me who to take it to.

I am 2 hours east of Knoxville. I am not worried about distance. It is drivable as it sits. There are major problems with the front driveshaft. Overall it sits too high. Tubing behind the seats needs to be redone. It needs paint. An experienced builder will probable find problems that I don't even know about.

Here's a link to my local board with more details.

current http://www.4x4grace.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?p=218107664#post218107664

old thread http://www.4x4grace.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=13619

Re:

X2 on marsfab. Also metalwerx, m&m offroad, buckeye performance, jims garage. All in NC. I have seen some nice stuff from bent fab in ky also

Re:

Followed your link, read your thread. Wow! Hope your luck turns around and you get this thing finished up.

Sit down and have a long meeting with whoever you decide to go with. I've fixed lots of mid-build **** ups before and holy ****, it takes more time than starting over about half the time. It is one of those deals where you need to draw a line as to where to stop "fixing" ****. My guess it will be at $55/hr shop rate x however long it takes, and double the number that you first come up with. There will be supplements.
The other thing is most shops won't want to put their name on the work because there isn't enough money for them to start over and make it all theirs. Tough situation for sure.

Stuntman Autoworks said:
Chris at Marsfab would be who I'd call but it will be a little bit of a drive for you.
www.marsfab.com

Chris at Marsfab or PJ at M&M. It's a tough place to be in for sure. Just be realistic with your budget, it's going to cost more than you think. Good luck

Well one thing I have learned is that I only want to work with an experienced shop. I want someone who has been in business over a year and has built a bouncer that I have seen on YouTube. My goal is to get it done by May.

gubni said:
Well one thing I have learned is that I only want to work with an experienced shop. I want someone who has been in business over a year and has built a bouncer that I have seen on YouTube. My goal is to get it done by May.

Man I read your thread and I don't know the whole story but I probably would not have any feet left because they would be broken off in some asses. I'd be embarrassed to charge someone for the work performed on that rig. Personally I would pull everything off the buggy that is worth a **** and scrap the rest. Go to a reputable builder who does production chassis (Wide Open Design, M&M, Jimmy Smith, Jim's Garage, etc) and have them build you something you can be proud of. I can almost promise you it will be cheaper in the long run. Even if you get a decent builder to fix what you have I don't think you'll be happy with it. Just shooting you straight.

OR...

Sell everything and put the money into a good used rig built from a reputable shop. They pop up all the time in the for sale section typically at around 50% cost to build.

So I grabbed your list.

Here's my preliminary list.

Will it fit in my toyhauler and if not by how much? Not needed to go wheel
Fix front driveshaft Need to Wheel
Fix hard starting Need to Wheel
Paint it all. Not needed to go wheel
Lower and or level it. Front sits higher than rear. Not needed to go wheel
Clean orbital hard steering to one side - suspect debris in it Need to Wheel
Finish interior wiring and radio minimal wiring Needed to Wheel
Cut tires, weld on valve stem protection, and finish screws Not needed to go wheel
Redo rear so propane tanks can be swapped easier Not needed to go wheel
Tune coil covers and air shocks Not needed to go wheel
Mount winch Not needed to go wheel
Finish exhaust Need to Wheel
Mount uhdp skids Need to Wheel

Looks stupid close to being able to wheel to me. Fix all the other stuff afterwards