• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I was reminded why I own a diesel this week.

L33 and 3.42s and it pulled like a champ until the transmission went out. Pretty positive that was my fault one drunken night and just took awhile for it finally come apart.
29ea1f5e2470148132ff16bacb483540.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

My brother had a 2003 5.3L 4l60e Tahoe 2wd a while back. It had a lot more power than ours does. I feel like they de-tune the engine on the 6l80e's to make the transmission live through all the damn shifting.

Before I had the 2015 Company 8-speed Hemi I had a 2012 6-Speed Hemi. It had a ****-ton more power than the 2015 as well. Same ratio rear end. Again, I think they de-tune the engine to make the transmission live.

I posted in another thread right before I bought my Cummins about how I test-drove a 6.0 2500 w/6l80e. Even without a trailer I felt it was weak-sauce. Again, I think they turn down the engine to make the 6l80e live.

My 8-speed is annoying. It's gone through 5 gears by the time you get to 45mph. It's never NOT shifting.

I was trying to figure out how to write that last post without sounding repetitive but I guess I failed. :)

Just bustin balls. I know my f350 has the 6 speed auto and anything below 55 I cancel out 6th gear otherwise its back and forth.

Re:

I thought the newer motors were rated at more hp. Could it be the transmission is eating up more power. I've heard an 8.1 suburban with the 4l85 feels stronger than the 8.1 with an Allison because the Allison takes more power to turn?

It is the annoying ass torque management that is programmed into the computers that causes them to shift like ****. The 6L80/90 isnt a bad transmission and is used in a lot of higher HP setups in stock form. Tuning really makes it a better engine/trans combo. Guys are throwing a lot of power through the CTSV auto's with nothing more than a converter change and tuning.

I've got a 2016 5.3 6spd 4wd 3.42 truck and regularly see 21mpg hand calc mpg's on "empty" highway runs. Hook my 6x12 enclosed to it with the dirtbike gear, fuel etc and still see 18mpg. I haven't towed the 4Runner with it yet, but I don't figure it will be too bad. The engine has a lot of power, but the trans programming is really the biggest downfall of the truck. Once it is out of warranty I will throw some EFI live or HPTuners at it. Til then, its someone else's problem if it ****s up.

Stretch said:
It is the annoying ass torque management that is programmed into the computers that causes them to shift like ****. The 6L80/90 isnt a bad transmission and is used in a lot of higher HP setups in stock form. Tuning really makes it a better engine/trans combo. Guys are throwing a lot of power through the CTSV auto's with nothing more than a converter change and tuning.

I've got a 2016 5.3 6spd 4wd 3.42 truck and regularly see 21mpg hand calc mpg's on "empty" highway runs. Hook my 6x12 enclosed to it with the dirtbike gear, fuel etc and still see 18mpg. I haven't towed the 4Runner with it yet, but I don't figure it will be too bad. The engine has a lot of power, but the trans programming is really the biggest downfall of the truck. Once it is out of warranty I will throw some EFI live or HPTuners at it. Til then, its someone else's problem if it ****s up.

Ours is out of warranty and I own HPTuners but I wouldn't know the first thing about tuning the trans. I'd be afraid I'd **** it up.

I bet the biggest thing I could do to help would be 3.42's. But again, I'll probably never tow with it again.

I looked on carp-part.com. Rear ends for these things are expensive!

patooyee said:
Ours is out of warranty and I own HPTuners but I wouldn't know the first thing about tuning the trans. I'd be afraid I'd **** it up.

I bet the biggest thing I could do to help would be 3.42's. But again, I'll probably never tow with it again.

I looked on carp-part.com. Rear ends for these things are expensive!

There are enough guys out there that have it figured out by now that you could probably just pay for a file and flash it yourself. The gears make the biggest difference IMO. I drove a 3.08 geared truck and it's a noticeable difference on the butt dyno. First gear is gone before you know it with the 3.42's and you're right into the meat of the power on the new engines.

If I could find a 3.42 rear end for a few hundred I'd throw it in there just because I feel like this truck is a dog even when there's nothing attached to the back. I'm not going to mess with regearing it though.

onepieceatatime said:
3.42s and a tune and you'll be ready to get rid of that Dodge :stir:

This guy is biased, he hauls gas for a living, job security. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad has a 15 GMC 4x4 with the 5.3. He pulls a 28' lightweight camper and averages 12-14 which isn't bad for a 1/2 ton gasser. No clue on gears but it's a Z71 with an auto tranny. That being said I'll NEVER buy another gasser tow pig. Ole Cummins gets 17-19 pulling my jeep and over 20 unloaded if I stay out of it and don't turn up the efi live.

muddinmetal said:
An 8.1 chevy will pull a house down!!! Way more useable power right off idle and more rpm to play with. Mileage sucks, but they are stout

If the truck is tuned right you can do the same thing. The RPM thing was annoying on my 12v so I did 3500 rpm governor springs. Hopefully soon i have the cash to do a compound turbo set up.

muddinmetal said:
An 8.1 chevy will pull a house down!!! Way more useable power right off idle and more rpm to play with. Mileage sucks, but they are stout

my dad has a Chevy 2500 with an 8.1 and it totally sucks for towing. Not even close to a diesel.

I had an 07 1/2 ton chevy with the 5.3, I towed with it one time and immediately traded it for a diesel

I'm with you Patooyee

If GM would finish the 4.5 dmax and put in the half tons and tahoes that would sell like crazy. I have had 6 duramax trucks and have used everyone hard and they have been great. I had a 14 yukon denali I towed my boat with once. The 6.2 is a major improvement towing vs a 5.3 (had one 02 truck with one) but gas mileage sucks. I traded it for a new range rover with a 3.0 turbo diesel and love it. hauled a bunch of sq bales on a 20' AL car hauler back in the fall with it and I didn't feel it back there. torque out the ass (no horsepower lol) and goes 600 miles on 20 gal of diesel. I got a 500 gallon tank of on road at my house/farm so it made sense for everything diesel. my mower/tractors, 2 sxs and all my daily drivers are diesel. I could never go back.

Re:

4.10s in my 2011 5.3 crew cab chevy and a diablo Tuner. It does alright for me. I can't afford a diesel.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

3.73's in my 08 1500. It does alright. The mtn on 24 when leaving aop sucks donkey balls. But, overall no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Re: I was reminded why I own a diesel this week.

onetoncrawler said:
my dad has a Chevy 2500 with an 8.1 and it totally sucks for towing.

You must've left the emergency brake on.