• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I was reminded why I own a diesel this week.

I towed to river rock with a buddies chevy 5.3 figured it would be better then my ford 4.2 since it was a v8.... Boy was i wrong that sumbitch drank fuel. Every little single hill it was jumping gears back and forth back and forth. It was stupid, never again. I will say my cummins 5.9 got 17-18mpg going to aop, both 7.3's wouldnt come close to that mpg or towing what the cummins would.

2 years ago there was a guy who goes to harlan with us who pulled a toyota buggy over pine mountain with a 6 cylinder 2wd f1f50 thats a damn workout right there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been debating on selling my diesel and buying a gas truck. currently using a 2002 F350 7.3 auto, 3.55 with 35's @210,000 miles...I am toying with the idea of buying an newer F350 with a v10. newer truck. less miles on it. just fear the catastrophic break down that might happen with the diesel. my truck is great, runs and drives as it should.
I am just worried about breakdown debt/ cost.

Re:

Tuning the 6spd trucks makes a pretty significant difference but they are still turds with the gearing they come with from the factory.

My truck (09 Sierra mild 6l, 6spd, 4.10 gear) tows much better than it did stock but it still sucks compared to a diesel or even my dad's ecoboost. My truck acts the same wether I have my 6x12 trailer with my rzr on it or my 18ft car hauler with up to 8k lbs... it acts like it's working just as hard

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I don't care what kinda diesel towrig you've got, they are all fawking badass, i don't know how you could go back to driving anything else after owning one. I feel like John Wayne when i'm rolling coal

Id love to step up to a diesel, but for $30k (which is a lot of damn money) you're lookin at 150k miles + diesel trucks.
For low miles you gotta get off of forty or fifty thousand bucks.

I know its a diesel and it will run for 500k but i dont wanna be making payments on something that needs balljoints, front end work, has worn out seats, other stuff that breaks with age and whatever other issues and has 200000 miles on it...

I think im just gonna keep on listening to a V8 gasser scream and cruise a little slower the 15 or 20 days a year im towing... even at 7mpg (which my expedition got towing our 30' camper back from the beach in May) I can go a long ways before a diesel is worth it to me...

EDIT: But dont get me wrong, I sure as F would love to have one... just cant get over the cost for how little benefit/extra comfort it gives

I towed with a 06 chevy regular cab with a 4.8, then bought my 06 cummins crew cab. I could never go back to a gas burner, or a regular cab now.

I saved for a long time and then held out for a long time when I was shopping and found my 05 Cummins 6-speed with 99,000 miles for $24k. It was a little more than KBB said it was worth but I also knew what they really went for on the market so I was satisfied. Paid cash happily knowing that I had several hundred thousand towing miles left and no payments. That was about 4 years ago. Last tow rig I plan to own. By the time it is worn out they'll probably have electric tow rigs that have 20,000 ft/lbs or torque or something. I've had guys at gas stations offer me $25,000 for it twice now. Don't know how serious the offers were but it makes me happy about what I paid.

At the time I bought it I was driving a 1994 Accord as my DD with 350,000 miles on it. I drove it to Arkansas to get my truck, rented a u-haul, and towed it home with the truck that I bought.

Neal3000 said:
Got my '05 F350, with 95k miles, already bulletproofed for 21k

Watch the word bulletproofed on here. Last time I used that word the dodge guys got all butthurt on me :****:

Re:

paradisepwoffrd said:
Man you guys' cummins must have fuel generation built in. My 02 6spd gets 15 empty and 13-14 loaded. That's foot in or out of it.

That Cummins Fuel Generation must have skipped the 2003, I drive mine everyday 100 miles a day and get at best 15-16 and its all Interstate driving. Loaded 27,600 gross weight I get 8.5-9.5 if its all flat roads.

tbacon38 said:
That Cummins Fuel Generation must have skipped the 2003, I drive mine everyday 100 miles a day and get at best 15-16 and its all Interstate driving. Loaded 27,600 gross weight I get 8.5-9.5 if its all flat roads.
I am glad someone said something I get tired of hearing about people's great fuel mileage bc ever diesel truck I have had gets about the same mileage 7-10 loaded and 13-16 unloaded but I always hear about other people getting way more than that haha

Re:

Programmer and tires. Like I said, I was getting similar to y'all before those. I drive like a granny for the most part as well. Mileage goes down quick when I start rolling coal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My old 12 valve got 23+ without the trailer and 19-20 towing but it was 2wd. My current 6.7 averages 17-18 towing. I've had powerstrokes and barely got 15 out of them. Something about the inline 6.

95 dodge 3500 2wd DRW all stock 15mpg 7 towing
2000 f350 4x4 DRW tuner exhaust intake 14mpg 8 towing
2001 f250 4x4 SRW tuner 35 tires 14mpg 7 towing
2012 f250 4x4 SRW stock 35 tires 14.5 mpg 8 towing

00 dually 4x4 5 speed hybrid 35/40 turbo, 14-16 if I drove nice, that was with an edge on whatever setting I got best with. 9ish towing lighter
My 04 early with a 6 speed, 4.10 gears and edge ez, I could pull 22 hand calc if I drove under 2k rpm and shifted early. That put me at 62 mph on that truck. I wanted 3.55 so badly, was lining up parts for a 60/80 swap to get the gears and get away from aam stuff. Tired of buying wheel bearings, BJ's and axle u joints. I towed my 3400 lb gooseneck with my 4200 lb crawler to bama a couple times and got right at 14 down and back. If I let the turbo spool or went over 2k rpm it dropped fairly rapidly. That 14 towing was running 70. That truck would sip it and I tracked milage religiously. It had stock tires on it.