• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I was reminded why I own a diesel this week.

Re: Re: I was reminded why I own a diesel this week.

AdamF said:
Manual shift Cummins will ruin you for life. Towing with anything else will suck.
This guy gets it. Mine is an 07 5.9 6speed 4X4 with 600+HP and 1100+TQ to the wheels and it will just cruise towing.
a2f697f27d5d7ebdaf0fd70d358d70bc.jpg

I wish I had pics, but I legit pulled a 3' dia. healthy palm tree out of my front yard with my Cummins. The root ball was about 7' dia. I cut it all up and hauled it to the dump in a trailer. The tree weighed out at 2400 lbs. My neighbor across the street hates me now because of it. I guess she didn't approve of my method but now she tells everyone else in the neighborhood that I am low-life, red-neck trash, I guess because I didn't contract a reputable tree service?

Funny how I'm always the first one she comes running to when her car isn't running right though. Also funny how, when she left town for a month unannounced I was the only one that noticed and asked around to make sure she was OK. (She is about 80, lives alone, and had mail and packages piling up on her front door.)

Oh, and if you've never cut a palm that thick, imagine cutting a 3' dia. pineapple. :)

Re:

paradisepwoffrd said:
Man you guys' cummins must have fuel generation built in. My 02 6spd gets 15 empty and 13-14 loaded. That's foot in or out of it.

Mine has 3.73 rear and got 18 at best before I increased tire size and installed the Smarty Jr. My brother used to have an 01 6-speed with 4.10 rear and got about what you say you are getting. 80mph was about redline in that truck but it would flat-out pull. Granny low is enough to get just about any load moving with any tire size in those trucks so bigger tires just decrease rpm at speed.

Re:

Am I the only one who actually enjoys feeling like I'm pulling something from time to time? My 5.3 was straight piped and I loved listening to it drop a gear and ripping up a hill. My 8.1 pulls great but is kind of boring. I drive a truck for a living and now that I'm always local up here in the flat land I get kind of bored with it and miss the days of banging through 13 gears and climbing mountains and testing a truck. 600hp and 1100ft tq pulling a single rig would put me to sleep.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Re: Re:

onepieceatatime said:
Am I the only one who actually enjoys feeling like I'm pulling something from time to time? My 5.3 was straight piped and I loved listening to it drop a gear and ripping up a hill. My 8.1 pulls great but is kind of boring. I drive a truck for a living and now that I'm always local up here in the flat land I get kind of bored with it and miss the days of banging through 13 gears and climbing mountains and testing a truck. 600hp and 1100ft tq pulling a single rig would put me to sleep.

Yes. You are the only one.

molaugh

Nah I always liked pulling the big trailer with 2 rigs on it behind my Duramax, let it spool up and dig.

12k behind my LBZ pulled just about the same as 6k behind my 6.0 gasser.

IMO an old TBI 454 will outpull a 6.0

TBItoy said:
Yes. You are the only one.

molaugh

Nah I always liked pulling the big trailer with 2 rigs on it behind my Duramax, let it spool up and dig.

12k behind my LBZ pulled just about the same as 6k behind my 6.0 gasser.

IMO an old TBI 454 will outpull a 6.0

My dad still has a 98 model Chevy 3500 with 454 and 5 speed in it that he bought new. Has no bed on it now and just sits. But he used it to haul cars for many years. Had a rocket launcher style bed on it with stinger. Seen him have a big car on top, pulling crew cab truck, with a wrecked motorcycle laid down in the bed under the car on top, and then it would drag pretty damn slow up the steep mountains around here, but that bitch was loaded.

Re:

I sold my 03 Cummins because I didn't think I needed it to pull my jeep. I bought a 04 z71 Silverado, and I traded it off for another Cummins (98.5 ) after one 3hr trip to aop. I'll never make that mistake again, the suspension, brakes, tranny, and engine hated me after that trip

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No problems pulling my buggy with the last two 5.3s I've had. Buggy weighs 3800+ lbs and my trailer has been widened to 102" with drive-over fenders. My '03 Suburban probably pulled a little better than my '15 Silverado but assume the difference is in the gearing, the Silverado has 3.08s and pretty sure the Suburban had 3.42s or 3.55s. Both average about 10 mpg loaded. Not a big fan of the six speed in my Silverado but in tow mode it's not too bad.

TacomaJD said:
My dad still has a 98 model Chevy 3500 with 454 and 5 speed in it that he bought new. Has no bed on it now and just sits. But he used it to haul cars for many years. Had a rocket launcher style bed on it with stinger. Seen him have a big car on top, pulling crew cab truck, with a wrecked motorcycle laid down in the bed under the car on top, and then it would drag pretty damn slow up the steep mountains around here, but that bitch was loaded.
and to think now 3500's are dragging empty trailers around that weight

I used my dads z71 to pull my deckover trailer about 2 years ago when I was getting my studs done on my 6.0. Man a diesel will spoil you. It was kicking down with a empty trailer on little bitty grades. The trailer weighs 3500 lbs but, damn it was eye opener. I told him he could keep it!! My diesel will drag that trailer around like it ain`t even back there.. Your hard pressed to even get the diesel to kick down with a load in the hills.. And I love hearing that Turbo spool up.. That being said the only gas burner truck that I have personally rode in that will pull a 8K load down the road running 70-80 like it ain`t hardly there is a ECO Boost.. Them little ****ers will pull.

onepieceatatime said:

LMAO I just seen this.. This is exactly what I said to my buddy when I was riding in his ECO Boost.. It just pulled and was quiet. Never kicked down just went right along. I looked at him like man I can`t stand all this quiet ****. I wanna hear a turbo spooling up and at least feel like I`m towing some ****.. My 6.0 is straight piped and sings. Guess I`m not and YOUR not the only one. lol

Re:

onepieceatatime said:

454 Headers and borla muffler dumped at the axle. I listened to that thing sing all the way from Memphis to Oklahoma and it was a beautiful song!!!! To bad the truck singing it is a lowrider :rolf: