• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Is wheeling making me a bad driver?!

binderbound

I was out cutting wood with my old man. Thats how I make money to fund winter time builds. So I ram a stump and tear part of the plastic cladding off my 02 dodge bumper. then later, I back into another stump bending my fancy 4" exahust. Non of it on perpose. Am I getting carless cuz when wheeling this is no big deal? Have I stopped caring about my stuff?

How about you?

Seems that when your in your wheeler you just go until you hit a tree? This is not a good practice for the DD/tow rig. I wheel my DD/Towrig occasionally and it stresses the s*** outta me cos I don't have the ground clearence, alot more sheetmetal and it's about twice as big. On the other hand....you could make the big Dodge your new wheeler? They always say the first scratch/dent is the worst, after that? No biggy......:redneck:

I get it right to that edge. I probably take things a little closer than I should.

Actually, a couple weeks ago, I was driving the wifes ZJ and I saw a spot. I was parallel parking it and got close to the curb. I thought to myself "it's just a curb" and scraped up the left front wheel REAL bad. I'm real glad it has a matching rim for a spare.

On the other hand, my TJ is my daily driver. I get yelled at from time to time driving it. Especially during low speed manuvers in parking lots. Some times the locker hooks up and I screech my tires while negotiating parking spaces. People always yell "slow down!!!" It's actually kind of funny.

Its not that I dont care. 700 payments and she's all mine. Its just that before I would get somebody to spot me while I backed the truck into a tight spot while wood cutting. Or thought twice before pulling into unknown brushy areas. I think wheeling has givin me a false sense of security. 37's and lockers make you forget that 285/75-16's and open diffs dont handle the same and its usually too late when I figure that out.:mad:

binderbound said:
Its not that I dont care. 700 payments and she's all mine. Its just that before I would get somebody to spot me while I backed the truck into a tight spot while wood cutting. Or thought twice before pulling into unknown brushy areas. I think wheeling has givin me a false sense of security. 37's and lockers make you forget that 285/75-16's and open diffs dont handle the same and its usually too late when I figure that out.:mad:
So put like 3" of lift on the dodge lock her up and throw on some 37's:flipoff:

For me I'm a completely different driver in my DD then while wheeling. I can't even drive them with the same foot setup. In my buggy I use my left foot to brake, and can't use my right without being a spaz. In my truck I brake with my right foot and can't seem to master using the left. It's really quite bizarre.........
Then there is that occasional time when I reach down to twin stick the tight corner in the McDonalds drive through.:rolleyes:

When my DD was a Suburban, and I was wheelin' the Zuk, I often backed into the telephone pole behind my house because I'd forget the 'burb was looooonnnngggg after driving a Samurai:redneck:

KarlVP said:
I get it right to that edge. I probably take things a little closer than I should.

Actually, a couple weeks ago, I was driving the wifes ZJ and I saw a spot. I was parallel parking it and got close to the curb. I thought to myself "it's just a curb" and scraped up the left front wheel REAL bad. I'm real glad it has a matching rim for a spare.

On the other hand, my TJ is my daily driver. I get yelled at from time to time driving it. Especially during low speed manuvers in parking lots. Some times the locker hooks up and I screech my tires while negotiating parking spaces. People always yell "slow down!!!" It's actually kind of funny.

:wtf: ...Gender? :stirpot: :D

I have never owned a vehicle that I have not gotten stuck. Even cars and the old 2wd F250:D I get a little to used to being able to go wherever the hell I want and forget that I'm in the wifes taurus:haha:

Alpine4x4 said:
So put like 3" of lift on the dodge lock her up and throw on some 37's:flipoff:

I use my truck as a work truck. I had a Stupiduty with 8" lift and 38's, it was worthless. I could hardly lift stuff into the bed.

This is a light day of wood cutting...
woodfrontsq6.jpg

The rear end is getting sloppy. I'm kicking around the idea of dropping in an ARB when I re-shim it. D80 ARB's aint cheep.