• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

jeep vs toyota vs buggy

I have a jeep because it is also fun to drive to my "destination" I will take my jeep on the outlet mall in about a year when all the qwerks are gone, I may not make it all the way. I haven't even Seen it yet. As for experience come watch me wheel then judge. Yes lots of **** is hard on my rig. Hence I am building a buggy also, but will keep my jeep I like the nostalgia.
But when you get right down to it didn

You could prob get anything through in a matter of days with enough stacking and winching but why?

ClarkW If you are serious about getting a buggy................[

PM sent

I have a jeep because it is also fun to drive to my "destination" I will take my jeep on the outlet mall in about a year when all the qwerks are gone, I may not make it all the way. I haven't even Seen it yet. As for experience come watch me wheel then judge. Yes lots of **** is hard on my rig. Hence I am building a buggy also, but will keep my jeep I like the nostalgia.
But when you get right down to it didn

I haven't even Seen it yet.

:haha:

ClarkW Regardless of how you do it. Go buggy :awesomework:

Buying a used one or a chassis may save you money in the long run but it's tough getting that exact fit when you buy something someone else built.
If I had to do it all over again I would go with a tube chassis instead of a chev frame. With a tube chassis you can put everything EXACTLY where you want it.

that's the same thing I wonder when people make a statement like that, why not just go buy a tub and frame if you've got a hard-on for a TJ

I agree as long as it comes with a complete interior, 1/2doors, top, title, straight frame, windshield frame, front clip with or without fenders, and wiring. I stripped 300 dollar tub and 300 dollar frame do you no good without the rest, which bought one at a time will cost more than a complete runner. Besides you can sell the stock stuff and end up with about 1000 to 1500 into your starting point. Or buy a chassis from s&n and start from there, but you will still need a title and legality to drive down the road. :awesomework:

Yea right (oh damn thats # 3 for me:haha:) Buggies are great if thats what you want to do. Heck if I could afford more than one rig I would have one:awesomework: But for traveling around to differant areas (not just the same place every weekend:booo:) a stret legal rig will open up 10 times the trails you can run:cheer:

You're saying that I can't wheel my ORV at the places you wheel?

Why?

Cause I have to trailer it there?

Where are these places you speak of?

But for traveling around to differant areas (not just the same place every weekend:booo:) a stret legal rig will open up 10 times the trails you can run:cheer:

I honestly see this the other way around. There are very few places where you have to be able to street drive your rig to wheel. There are a ton of places where you won't be able to wheel if your rig is too stockish. You're not going to street drive your rig to the OM or FOH at the hammers and then drive it home. Sure you can trailer the street legal rig but it's not going to be able to hold it's own on the severe trails..
It's just a tradeoff either way.:cheer:

having dumped around $20000 into a toyota pickup
i also owned the venom buggy from sn you pictured
and now i own the sex panther from sn you also pictured

these are all different cars with different capabilities if you want to wheel and have the capability to have a buggy i would almost guarantee that you wont regret it. i would do some soul searching before you build or buy as buggies are purpose built. jason and trevor do spectacular work. they are building us a race buggy right now.
just know that if you decide to build a stockish rig they can be destroyed easily
not so with a buggy yes you can protect the body but then your adding extra weight. plus its hard to get a decent price back out of a full bodied used trail rig. its not so hard with buggies.
go to s and n fab there buggies stand above the rest.
thats my .02:D

You're saying that I can't wheel my ORV at the places you wheel?

Why?

Cause I have to trailer it there?

Where are these places you speak of?

You know what I mean you just wanted to make me post again:booo:

I honestly see this the other way around. There are very few places where you have to be able to street drive your rig to wheel. There are a ton of places where you won't be able to wheel if your rig is too stockish. You're not going to street drive your rig to the OM or FOH at the hammers and then drive it home. Sure you can trailer the street legal rig but it's not going to be able to hold it's own on the severe trails..
It's just a tradeoff either way.:cheer:

Lets look at our "local" scene. Sure there are a couple of trails (at reiter and a couple of lines at the rocks I "cant" do But I can load up my jeep and leave my house go up to and cross over the naches trail down the road on the other side up the Kaner play around then go down to Jacks and fuel up head back up milk creek play around the Manashtash area come out anywhere on the hwy. Fuel up and head over Bethel ridge to rimrock play there and drive home on hwy 12 stop at Elbe if the mood suits and head home. Now how many tickets do you think you would get in a buggy type rig doing the same trip:eeek: Its not so much that you cant do the trails in a buggy its just a lot more of a pain to get to them (legaly)

You know what I mean you just wanted to make me post again:booo:

Lets look at our "local" scene. Sure there are a couple of trails (at reiter and a couple of lines at the rocks I "cant" do But I can load up my jeep and leave my house go up to and cross over the naches trail down the road on the other side up the Kaner play around then go down to Jacks and fuel up head back up milk creek play around the Manashtash area come out anywhere on the hwy. Fuel up and head over Bethel ridge to rimrock play there and drive home on hwy 12 stop at Elbe if the mood suits and head home. Now how many tickets do you think you would get in a buggy type rig doing the same trip:eeek: Its not so much that you cant do the trails in a buggy its just a lot more of a pain to get to them (legaly)

So when did you do this, let's be realistic..... Maybe one time:rolleyes:

Don't pick on Pokey guys. He's just old skool. He still thinks that "hardcore" is driving long distances to mild wheeling destinations in a POS Jeep. Just getting the rig there and back (was) a challange to be proud of completing. Not so much anymore.......

Good exapmle: Mark m. is an older guy that has seen the progression AND been a part of it. Whereas Pokey has only seen the porgession from a distance. This must be very frusterating for him (and others like him) so the only alternative is to justify his old skool ways in the current "hardcore" enviroment.

At least that's that way I see it.

And P.S. When Mark and I wheel, we usually wheel for 10-12-14 hours.....hard ****.......long ****......all the ****. Basically, similar to a "day run" to Naches, to Rim Rock and back to home. Something to think about.

But to keep this post on track, I don't believe Clark W wants an expedition type vehicle.....so this is all a moot point.

Andrew-Dice-Clay-"OOHHH!":redneck:

so i guess the question is how much do you buggy guys have into your rigs? i'm asking about you guys with s&n chassis, 4.3/th350 rmvb, atlas, 60's, coils, big tires. How much of it did you do yourself? and did you buy everything new? or shop around and get deals? I know it's like asking a woman how old she is and what she weighs. If anything you could just PM me a ballpark figure. I'm guessing 15-20k right? 4-5 being the chassis, and doing all the rest yourself, buying what you can used/deals. i could imagine it being double or triple to pay someone to build one turnkey. If you don't want to say it in here but dont' mind shooting me a PM that would be great too.:beer: