• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jobs

Re: Re: Jobs

94xjsport94 said:
I'm almost in that boat. I work nights doing industrial maintenance on machines that make wire. I do troubleshooting with drives, motors, PLC's, everything. I like the work I do but industry runs 24/7/365 and I don't wanna run 24/7/365 my whole life... not sure which direction I want to go with this field. Gonna pad the resume a little more where I am and find something else I reckon. Like mentioned, how far work is, the pay, and what I actually do most nights... hard to beat around here without going to Atlanta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was in your boat till I found a job doing what I did but was at a plant. Yes it's Union and rotating shifts but it's more money than I'd make on time and a half and I will come off shift within a year or two. And yeah I know your at a plant now but what you know transfers into any industry that makes stuff.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Re: Re:

5BrothersFabrication said:
My father-in-law works on forklifts, about 55 years old, you'd think he was 70. That ****'ll age you quick. Same in my line of work.
I am seeing that fast and why i want to switch careers. Also getting tired of turning wrenchs everyday.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I like building machines.

One day I might run my own company. I think I'd run a little leaner and a bit more profit conscience than the guys I currently work for, but overall we build good stuff that works and have generally happy customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

ROKTOY829 said:
I recently switched jobs about 4 years ago. Getting older and realizing i do not want to be out in the weather working on equipment/forklifts. I work for a small company and have a salesman and the gm looking at retiring in a few years.
I told the owner i want to try my hand at sales, having the mechanial back ground should help. Getting ready to start marketing/sales so i can have paper showing i took classes.
Look at working a job that is easier on my back, not getting any younger

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Having a vast knowledge of one of your customers major assets translates into sales really well, product knowledge always sells.

I went from a pretty gravy job last year to having to start back towards the bottom. The whole corporate office thing is not for me but I see potential down the road. But honestly very few people love what they do all the time so suck it up go get something that pays the bills and realize there is more to life than work. Other than the whole corporate office park, community bathrooms, working with 15 women and living in a cubicle, I like what I do. I started right where I left off pay wise. My circumstances have changed dramatically as far as work load but from March 2008 until I was let go in September of 2016 I may have gone 5 days without answering an email or phone call. I was literally constantly on the phone or computer, mainly because I knew that's what I had to do to keep my demand up. Since I have moved to new company I have maybe answered 20 emails after hours. My boss wants it that way :dunno: I guess I'm just saying there are good and bad points to everything. Do like Kel said and write them all down and then go work for ATT

I might be an exception to the norm, I mostly love my job, I don't like having to go to Leadership workshops, but my actual job rocks, I am a Lead in aviation machine shop, all though we do fabricate a lot of little one off parts, we actually do a lot of work on airplanes, a small shop that is kind of like a 911 shop, when all else fails we go bail out the oops that happen, all over the world. Not to mention it pays damn good with great benefits. :smoke:

I was a welding teacher for almost 13 years and the last 5 hated it. Kept wanting to get back in the field and work so finally resigned and now work as a contractor for whomever needs welding or mechanic work done. Always had 2 jobs during teaching career and now I work about 40 hrs a week and have not regretted it one minute.

I just switched jobs 2 months ago and I can already tell a huge difference in my mental and physical health. I was working at Mazak which is an extremely high stress environment. New job with Ancra Cargo is a smaller (75 people) company that I can really do what I'm good at. I'm a mechanical engineer, but I like building prototypes and testing them. So being able to design stuff, then machine it, weld it, build it and test it, keeps a lot of the monotony at bay by always having something different to work on or do.

Doesn't hurt that the pay increase was nice and now I only work 40hrs instead of 50+.

Eventually I would like to have my own small machine shop that does a bit of fabrication on the side.

I'm 24 and a CPA, I work for a large grain company that has 35k employee's the pay is great the benefits are awesome and we have a 401k and pension as well. the only thing that sucks is its a 50 mile commute one way for me and 2-3 weeks out of the month there's not much to do so I always find myself wishing I was home or in the shop working on something.

I guess I must really like my job.....My alarm goes off at 3.54 am Mon - Fri..... And I don't mind getting up and going to work.

I sell construction supplies with a small ( 5 people ) company. Long hours 6 am to 5 pm with a 45 min ride each way.

I used to work as a shop and field mechanic in construction.....I don't miss it one bit.

I work for DOD and love my job. Welded 10 years on tanks, now I'm in planning. Sit at a desk and order new tank parts, cost estimates, parts supportability, etc. Work 60+ hours a week, but it's easy.

Almost nothing but carpet mills here and I worked in them off and on from the age of fifteen to twenty-five. About twenty years ago I decided I never wanted to work inside the plants again and I took an entry-level information technology job working for a local convenience store that had one hundred and thirty-eight stores. Loved my job and worked my way up to second in charge of the department. After being with them for eight years the company sold out and I took a job as the Director of Information Technology for the city of Dalton. I enjoyed my job with the city and the people that worked for me but after being with them for five years I left them. Whitfield county offered me a 20% pay bump, a chance to get on their pension plan if I would come be the Assistant Director/Senior System Engineer. I have been with the county for almost seven years now, the people I work with and that work for me are great, I work less hours than I did at the city, I make more money, I am on the pension plan and stand a very good chance of being the Director of the department in ten more years when the current director retires.

I almost never do the same thing on a daily basis, it's always some different or new and I love it.

I travel to wal marts all over the country and repair the shopping carts with broken casters.

I love it. The pay is unbeatable, benefits are at government employee level and I make my own schedule

Earlier in life I was a ski bum/bike bum. I spent summers wrenching on mountain bikes and cutting trail, and winters either teaching skiing, working in the shop as a sales person/repair tech/assistant manger. I got tired of seasonal work and **** pay. Perks were cool but life rolls on and I have expensive hobbies.

Nobody ever wakes up and says hey, I want to build trade show booths...after a call from a buddy one day I started doing that. I started out cold calling sales stuff for us which sucked ass. Then I became our first Account Manager, still did a ton in the back of the house on the fabrication side at the same time. Perks of a startup small business, you have to wear a lot of hats. Now I am our "Project Manager". I put PM in quotes because really thats just what is on the business card. I do a little of everything from wiring, to building crates, running our CNC machine, ordering materials, occasional client meetings and still spend a good chunk of time on the road supervising installation and dismantle at shows. I know almost every booth in inventory enough to get it installed and done right and don't have kids so I can travel more than others in the company.

Headed to SEMA on Sunday...perks of the job.

DallasBlade said:
I work for DOD and love my job. Welded 10 years on tanks, now I'm in planning. Sit at a desk and order new tank parts, cost estimates, parts supportability, etc. Work 60+ hours a week, but it's easy.
Whats it gonna cost to get me in an M1A2?

Re: Re: Jobs

LightBnDr said:
I travel to wal marts all over the country and repair the shopping carts with broken casters.

I love it. The pay is unbeatable, benefits are at government employee level and I make my own schedule
http://youtu.be/bD77ln7vZJU

That you?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk