• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

let's talk gearing.......

Rock_Crusher

i just got back from trying a run at the famous hillclimb by my house, the stairway to heaven... and noticed my gearing sucks!

Anyhow, current set up,

Jeep tj with a 4.0 / Auto, 3.07's and 33inch tires.

what do some have to say about me changing to 4.88's and using a atlasII to get lower and still not run to high in the rpm's on the hyway?

would this be a perfect combo?

:corn:

Do NOTHING!!!!! to you dana 35/30 combo. They are weak enough as is....4.88 will just make them weaker.

Find some 4.11 gears out of a 4 banger TJ for next to nothing if you want to waste time and money on the 35/30 turds.

Actually, Robin's on the right track! Find a complete set of TJ 4cyl axles with 4.10 gears, and swap the complete assemblies. Then, strip the axle shafts out of your housing to use as spares until you can afford a real upgrade to 44s or 60s.

Actually, Robin's on the right track! Find a complete set of TJ 4cyl axles with 4.10 gears, and swap the complete assemblies. Then, strip the axle shafts out of your housing to use as spares until you can afford a real upgrade to 44s or 60s.

That was sort of my thinking as well, a little more beef on the R&P's and spare axles... use the AtlasII to get the gearing down there...

*I think running the 4.10's w/ the Auto and 33's would be fine on the hyway, be almost normal.

was just wondering about RPM's w/ the 4.88's

either way........ right now my combo bring'th the suck'th... :booo:

Your weak spot in the D30 is going to be the U-joints. You see what I'm running 36"s and 4.88's. The only thing I break is the U-joints which then destroy the axle shaft and hope to god it doesn't pop out your ball joints. :redneck: BTDT

But lets talk about thsi hill climb.

Your in an Auto and you couldn't make it up? Were you in 4lo??

But lets talk about thsi hill climb.

Your in an Auto and you couldn't make it up? Were you in 4lo??

Dude..............

You have to see this fawking hill, pictures never do it justice. *(LSS) it starts out fairly straight & straight up, 80-90% straight up. then after about 200-250feet up it has a twist right at the top, that kicks you over and leans you over the edge, then you have to hop a stump to get over the twist and it's done and flat at the top.

The Zuk made it look so easy it was embarrassing for others that tried.

I'm not so much scared to do it anymore, as i need the rig set up to at least try. remember i'm still open diff's joop, and this hill isn't going to let anyone just fly up it. you have to crawl it, or face being flung over & down it. it's a real pucker fawker type of hill.

one where you just grab a 6pack and a seat and watch others puss out or actually try and then back out, and the ones that make it, come away with very big bragging rights. it's a very scary climb. it's cool though!

I take back my previous statement if you have a D35. If this is the case, do nothing... wait, save your money for an 8.8 or a 44 or something better.

I feel like a parrot. Didn't we have this thread when you had your YJ? Save money and do it right. Replace the D35, put 4.88's in the axles, run 297 joints in your 30 (you probably already have them), and carry spare 30 shafts. No atlas required. It's proven, tons of people do it all over the world.

The original question makes no sense, because 4.88's are already as LOW as you can go with the D30, and dropping a bunch of coin on an atlas makes absolutely no fawking sense if you're still going to run a toothpick rear axle like the D35.

The original question makes no sense, because 4.88's are already as LOW as you can go with the D30, and dropping a bunch of coin on an atlas makes absolutely no fawking sense if you're still going to run a toothpick rear axle like the D35.

i was wondering about RPM's, w/ the 4.88's

yeah still having the D30/35 combo, and trying improve isn't that smart, but for the time being, this gearing combo ain't working either.

AAAAAArrrggg

ok, so it's either 4.56's and stay at 33's

or just grab a D44 out of a Tj <--- like this idea.

The atlasII will get me a lower crawl ratio, :D

i was wondering about RPM's, w/ the 4.88's

yeah still having the D30/35 combo, and trying improve isn't that smart, but for the time being, this gearing combo ain't working either.

AAAAAArrrggg

ok, so it's either 4.56's and stay at 33's

or just grab a D44 out of a Tj <--- like this idea.

The atlasII will get me a lower crawl ratio, :D

If you want bolt-in, go for the TJ 44... but realize they use thinner tubes than most 44's... it's still a definite upgrade over your D35. You're still going to want to regear when you get the 44 in though, unless you find a 30/44 combo with 4.10's to swap in.

Skip the atlas for now. With 33's and lower gears (4.88's or 4.56's or heck even 4.10's) you'll be fine on and off road for the time being, ESPECIALLY since you have an auto. An atlas is expensive, and that money can be spent much more wisely on things that will get you on the trail in the meantime.

If you want bolt-in, go for the TJ 44... but realize they use thinner tubes than most 44's... it's still a definite upgrade over your D35. You're still going to want to regear when you get the 44 in though, unless you find a 30/44 combo with 4.10's to swap in.

Skip the atlas for now. With 33's and lower gears (4.88's or 4.56's or heck even 4.10's) you'll be fine on and off road for the time being, ESPECIALLY since you have an auto. An atlas is expensive, and that money can be spent much more wisely on things that will get you on the trail in the meantime.

agreed...........

but Xmas is coming, and my BD is right before Xmas.... all part of the plan for wifey. Winch / AtlasII is all i'am asking for this year.

:D

I had a line on a rear Tj 44 and the fawker sold it, another Craigslist promise... deal. i'm looking for a swap in soloution as we speak.

thx, matt

i just got back from trying a run at the famous hillclimb by my house, the stairway to heaven... and noticed my gearing sucks!

Anyhow, current set up,

Jeep tj with a 4.0 / Auto, 3.07's and 33inch tires.

what do some have to say about me changing to 4.88's and using a atlasII to get lower and still not run to high in the rpm's on the hyway?

would this be a perfect combo?

:corn:
Try this
HTML:
http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/tirerpmratio.htm
web site for a better idea on what to run at 60.
Kat

TJ 44's are crap IMHO, I'd swap a explorer 8.8, 31 splines stock and disc brakes. Then pick up a HP30 gear it and lock it, and carry extra shafts.

agreed...........

but Xmas is coming, and my BD is right before Xmas.... all part of the plan for wifey. Winch / AtlasII is all i'am asking for this year.

:D

I had a line on a rear Tj 44 and the fawker sold it, another Craigslist promise... deal. i'm looking for a swap in soloution as we speak.

thx, matt

Tell your wife you don't want anything but permission to spend X amount of dollars on your rig this year for christmas then.

Or heck, have your wife spend a bunch of money on an atlas and then you can look at your shiny new bling t-case sitting there while you dream about wheeling because you still have a D35 and tall gears and no locker(s). :eeek:

The winch is a good idea though. :flipoff: