• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lets Talk Small 4x4 pickups

SJR

Well were ready to get a newer small pickup 4x4, would like some input on whats out there and what to stay away from , this will stay stock maybe a lift and some mud tires, will be a DD and not a wheeler, just a nice all around truck that occasionally will need 4x4 , looking for small light decent gas mileage truck, so whats your experience? Im not looking for a project , just a nice little truck with 4x4 with low miles,

I like Tacoma's but also would go for a Dakota. Little bigger, v8 if you want. Also, a lot of 1/2 ton trucks get about the same mpg as the smaller truck but have more payload if you do need it.

Toyota OWNS this market. Ranger is the only other think I would consider. Dakota's, Colorado/S10's, Nissans are CRAP. The Toyota you will pay more for, but you really do get what you pay for. They are great rigs AND hold resale value AND have way more aftermarket support since you mentioned wanting to lift it and stuff.

I agree with Choppy:fawkdancesmiley:

Hardbodys/Frontiers can be had for cheap and are decent little pickups. They don't command a premium like Toyotas do.

Nissans are over complicated turds. Buy a Tacoma and never look back. Basic maintenance and the 3.4 is a 500k engine. My brother's 4runner has 34xxxx on the ticker and runs as strong as new. Old man's Tacoma has gone through a set of leaf springs. But other than the timing belt and spark Plugs it has over 200k and runs killer.

But working in the service industry these trucks just don't have issues

Toyota OWNS this market. Ranger is the only other think I would consider. Dakota's, Colorado/S10's, Nissans are CRAP. The Toyota you will pay more for, but you really do get what you pay for. They are great rigs AND hold resale value AND have way more aftermarket support since you mentioned wanting to lift it and stuff.

this /\

Tacoma. I bought a new one last year and love it. I was going to buy used, but they hold their resale too well. After pricing out used ones it was a better choice to buy new. I shopped all over and the dealership in Olympia had what I wanted at the best price. Not sure if they are still doing it, but Toyota has been covering all maintenance and services for the first two years on new ones. Another reason I went new over used.

.... whats wrong with the nissans?

If you get a good running one...they're ok, as long as you get newer than 2000ish model yr or newer... When they start running like crap, they are a pita to figure out, and expensive to repair once you do figure it out! :redneck:

any vehicle as long as it was taken care of is good. toys do have the largest aftermarket support. nissans didn't get it becuase they weren't as popular as the toys. they do run awesome and are easy to work on. dakotas, well i hate dodge i think they are junk but thats just me, I'm sure they have their points. rangers, are decent and s10s well, they are ok if you don't mind replacing the alt every year.

all I'm saying is look for a clean truck they are out there.

Tacoma! Had a 99 2wd and now a 98 4x4 3.4 5 speed

Only mid size truck I'd own. Hold resale better than almost any other truck. Sold my 2wd reg cab 99 for 3500 last December.