• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Little Gibby's 45 MB

A D44 is juuuusst big enough to go wheeling. It's equivalent to a AMC 20 in ring gear strength. Maybe equivalent to an 8.8.

Now, let's run it on the weak side of the tooth. That's going to make it as strong as.... say a Dana 35.

Which as we all know, is NOT strong enough. And yeah they make Super 35 kits and all that crap. But if you're going to polish a turd, at least make the turd a D60.

I dunno tony I fully understand your point But Gary has built quite a few of those including the one under his own rig (that has over 30,000 miles on it Jerry N has close to that and no issues. I know that you may not be able to pound on them like a 60 or even a regular 44 but it should be just fine for a "normal" trail rig.

RJ built my HP44 in the back of my flattie too....TechTim set up the gears. It's behind a mild built SB ford 289, NP435, Dana 18, 35" MTR's and 4.56 gears.... I've been known to pour the throttle too it and been running it for 3 seasons now with zero problems. Run the Rubicon, every 4+ in Moab, and all over RimRock with it....Gibby will be fine. The T-90 will probably live for awhile before needing a rebuild, but it won't last forever.... Do it right with an SM420 now. You want a tough 3 speed the T-150 is a good little unit....

Oh...and a GPW/MB came with a full floating Dana 25 rear.......

Last edited:
A D44 is juuuusst big enough to go wheeling. It's equivalent to a AMC 20 in ring gear strength. Maybe equivalent to an 8.8.
Now, let's run it on the weak side of the tooth. That's going to make it as strong as.... say a Dana 35.

Which as we all know, is NOT strong enough. And yeah they make Super 35 kits and all that crap. But if you're going to polish a turd, at least make the turd a D60.
The guy who built the axles is one of the best around with D44s. It's no D60 but there's always a trade off some where for something. This is such a light rig and it's only got about 200HP on a great day.
I agree with Gibby here a V-6 flatty should have a total weight of no more than 3200 lbs if you want it to work. If it iis more than that put it on a diet, I would image your talkin about that lake tapps turtle guy.. If you are, that guy has more jeep building experiance than all of us added together... enough said....
Ask him about what drivetrain to put behind that motor, He'll know and know where to get good parts. He built both my dana 44 axles in my highhood too. great guy..
The HP44 will be fine in the rear. :rolleyes:
I dunno tony I fully understand your point But Gary has built quite a few of those including the one under his own rig (that has over 30,000 miles on it Jerry N has close to that and no issues. I know that you may not be able to pound on them like a 60 or even a regular 44 but it should be just fine for a "normal" trail rig.
RJ built my HP44 in the back of my flattie too....TechTim set up the gears. It's behind a mild built SB ford 289, NP435, Dana 18, 35" MTR's and 4.56 gears.... I've been known to pour the throttle too it and been running it for 3 seasons now with zero problems. Run the Rubicon, every 4+ in Moab, and all over RimRock with it....Gibby will be fine.
that hp 44 will be sweet in that little rig, I know planty of guys running them with nary and issue. :;
Gary's a great guy. But his opinion isn't the only one. I've seen several blown R&Ps in HP D44s. I stand behind my opinion. And for what it's worth, Gary is the same guy who refused to run TSLs twenty years ago because they broke axle shafts. I like Gary. And he's a wheeler and a racer. But he's very old school. Not that that's neccessarily a bad thing. However I'd wouldn't be caught dead with a HP D44 in the rear of anything.
Time will tell.

Gary's a great guy. But his opinion isn't the only one. I've seen several blown R&Ps in HP D44s. I stand behind my opinion. And for what it's worth, Gary is the same guy who refused to run TSLs twenty years ago because they broke axle shafts. I like Gary. And he's a wheeler and a racer. But he's very old school. Not that that's neccessarily a bad thing. However I'd wouldn't be caught dead with a HP D44 in the rear of anything.
Time will tell.

Tony, while I personally argee with you on HP44 in the rear and wont run anything smaller than a 60 or a 9, it should hold up just fine in a flatfender. The hp44 that Billy Bob's put in my uncles 95 YJ has been holding up since it was put in well over 150,000 miles ago.

Tony and I both know of a guy that had to change R&Ps in a 44HP rear flat fender every other year or so....
2 guys in our club have changed over from HP 44's within the past year due to R&P failures. Both guys had 4.0 equipped TJ's.

As for the trans.... I have a very good friend that has a SM465 with a Dana 300 (short Novak) adapter on it for about $500.

use the SM420... it is just under 10 1/2" long (slightly shorter than the T18)

With the use of the Novak adaptor which is about 1" thick, you have a tranny and xfer (D18/20) adaptor length of aprox 11 1-2" (or slightly less) long...

This is a combination that I have been running for many years in many rigs...

I have not had any troubles as all fitting it into a flattie, ever....

you can usually get the trannys pretty easily.. hell I have 4 of them right now... and I still have like 3 or 4 D18's and 4 or 5 D20's...

I have so many of the darn things because they are good short combos that work really well in the short wheelbase rigs...

Tony, while I personally argee with you on HP44 in the rear and wont run anything smaller than a 60 or a 9, it should hold up just fine in a flatfender. The hp44 that Billy Bob's put in my uncles 95 YJ has been holding up since it was put in well over 150,000 miles ago.

that would be one of Garys then:cheer: (most likely)

Latest posts