• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Matt's Cheerleader Jeep buildup thread...

Two more... 1st one is the shackle angle. Is it worth changing this to make it a bit better? I would probably end up cutting the front spring mount off the frame and making a new one about 1" to 1.5" back to get the shackle angle better. Will it perform noticeably better that way, or will this work how it is?

2nd pic is just an underside shot. I'm not sure where the anti-wrap bar will go, might have to get creative with the exhaust. Oh yeah... notice the XJ on blocks in the background? It's leaving next weekend finally. :sad:

Last edited:
These two are off the subject, but I thought I'd post 'em anyway.

1st one is for Mark... F-100 DFA with Vega tie-rod ends with a nice little bend. I guess it works. :redneck:

2nd one is a new project my dad's working on... he doesn't even have a body for it yet, but it's a '29 or '30 model A frame... Front is going to be suicide style and the rear of the frame is going to be Z'ed an undetermined amount. Frankland Quick-change rear end with custom Dutchman axle shafts and 9" brake setup. Eventualy this will have some kind of Model A roadster body on it, probably a roadster pickup body if he can find one.

Last edited:
your shackle angle will run fine. Dont move the mounts yet. If you run a front waggy spring in the rear the offset pin will move the axle back 2 inches and you can just make a boomarang shackle to run the longer springs.

I need to measure again, but I have a couple sets of stock XJ springs... thought about seeing how those would work to stretch the wheelbase a bit and they might make the shackle angle a bit better too because I think they're longer.

Eh, I'm just going to run the stock YJ springs for now. Screw it, I can always change it later. :D

NotMatt said:
These two are off the subject, but I thought I'd post 'em anyway.

1st one is for Mark... F-100 DFA with Vega tie-rod ends with a nice little bend. I guess it works. :redneck:

2nd one is a new project my dad's working on... he doesn't even have a body for it yet, but it's a '29 or '30 model A frame... Front is going to be suicide style and the rear of the frame is going to be Z'ed an undetermined amount. Frankland Quick-change rear end with custom Dutchman axle shafts and 9" brake setup. Eventualy this will have some kind of Model A roadster body on it, probably a roadster pickup body if he can find one.
Cool! Thanks for posting that Matt. That's not so ghetto afterall!:redneck: Nice bend on the tie rod.:cool: That pic answers all my questions, thanks again.
I want a 30/31 Model A coupe:sad:
Hey, on your YJ, what is your axle width WMS to WMS? Jeep is looking good, man.

Oh yeah... the other thing I got accomplished was torching that hitch and :rb: rear bumper off. I also moved the license plate to a less vulnerable location. :D

Comet said:
Cool! Thanks for posting that Matt. That's not so ghetto afterall!:redneck: Nice bend on the tie rod.:cool: That pic answers all my questions, thanks again.
I want a 30/31 Model A coupe:sad:
Hey, on your YJ, what is your axle width WMS to WMS? Jeep is looking good, man.

I can't remember... I'll have to measure this weekend. The rear is stock wagoneer width + 3 inches overall (1.5" spacers on each side). Wish I would've ordered 1" spacers, the rear is a bit wider than the front with the spacers on... oh well.

XJonathan said:
If you run Xj springs wont that force you to relocate the tank?

Probably... but that's not a bad thing, IMO. It hangs down just as far as an XJ tank, only this one has no burly 5000lb trailer hitch to protect it when I come down off a ledge.

In the future, my plan is to run a 231/D300 doubler combo... not in this incarnation though, and I'll have to stretch the WB then to fit all that t-case in there, so a fuel cell or at least a relocated gas tank is going to be required.

Matt, can you machine down the spacers to 1"? You'd have to press out the studs and then back in again.

Oh, and one final question on your dad's truck. Actually a confirmation because I think you told me already. The axle has been dropped 4", right?

Comet said:
Matt, can you machine down the spacers to 1"? You'd have to press out the studs and then back in again.

Oh, and one final question on your dad's truck. Actually a confirmation because I think you told me already. The axle has been dropped 4", right?

Pretty sure it's 4", yeah.

I suppose I could take half an inch off each spacer, but I'm lazy.