• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Matt's Cheerleader Jeep buildup thread...

XJonathan said:
If you run Xj springs wont that force you to relocate the tank?
yes byou will have to move the tank, i got xj springs on mine, stock springs and the stock yj inboard spring mount will move your wheel base about 4 to 6 inches. on mine it moved exactly 6 inches, so now my tank is in the tub

ANY UPDATES!!!!!1

No updates on construction... I haven't even looked at it since last weekend since it's at my Dad's shop and I live too far away to drive up there after work.

I HAVE been collecting and ordering parts. I got a new driver's side flat top from Toyotanut last weekend because the upper ball joint mount on the one I got for free was all hogged out. Pass. side one was fine though, so hey... free passenger side flat top.

I bought me TRE's and DLE's on tuesday... Two ES2026R's and Two ES2027L's, ordered a 7* reamer for the pitman arm and the TRE holes on my steering arms.

I also got spring perches today for the front axle so I can get that housing underneath it this weekend.

And... I placed a 230 dollar order for ball joints, high steer arm studs/hardware, tube inserts, jam nuts, and other misc. stuff from PartsMike.com :D

I'm picking up some 1.5" .25" wall DOM tomorrow from C'da Metals for my steering links.

This weekend the plan is to get the front housing underneath it, and get the transmission/t-case out at least. If I end up with more time on my hands, I'm going to start installing the AA fixed yoke kit in the t-case and swapping the tail housing over from the YJ AX15 to the new XJ AX15 that's going in (old one has a bad synchro in 3rd).

I still need to take my pass. side flat top in for machining/drilling/tapping... I'm waiting until I get the new studs in the mail for that.

Man the $$$'s are adding up fast... :|

man, i havent been to levenworth in a while. maybe next month when i get my liscense back. and i could drag that renix motor back to my house if you still have it :redneck:

Ooh la-la. I got some work done finally. :clappy:

Penny is ready to start the day... she even brought some Frank's Red Hot to make lunch a little spicier.

P1010271.JPG

A pile of steering parts. I also picked up some 1.5" .25" wall DOM on Friday... had to drive home with it sticking out of the passenger window of my DD since I underestimated the exact dimensions of an 8'9" stick of tube.

P1010272.JPG

Here's the 7* reamer from XKUT on eBay. Mmm... sharp.

P1010275.JPG

Insert here... it worked very well. It's tough to get the speed and feed "just right" with a hand drill, but it did the trick without too much trouble.

P1010276.JPG

Then there's this thing... just sitting there...:

P1010274.JPG

While I work on this.

P1010277.JPG

Making room for the spring perch:

P1010279.JPG

Ride height mock-up to set the caster and tack the perches on:

P1010280.JPG

Then we measured for front shocks. Looks like the DT0's from my original 2" XJ lift are going to do the trick for now... might change this later if I decide to buy some better shocks.

P1010282.JPG

Back out to weld up the perches and shock mounts. I don't like the shock mounts, and the welds came out shitty on them too, so I might take them off and re-do... or maybe add something more to keep them from ripping off the axle tube.

P1010283.JPG

Yes, I'm welding on cast. It'll be sandwiched between spring and u-bolt anyway.

P1010287.JPG

Goofing around in my welding helmet... :rolleyes:

P1010288.JPG

Dunno... just a pic:

P1010290.JPG

Goodnight.

P1010292.JPG

I'm down to come over and get in your way for a weekend :flipoff: :flipoff:

Lookin' good bro......as for the rocker shots of my ZJ, ask Weifalo...she's got TONS on her computer :cool:

Alright, who's coming over next weekend to help me swap the transmission and install the SYE? :D I'll provide beer and pizza, and I've got lots of space to sleep. :)

i want to come see this madness. I am picking that jeep up tomorrow that i showed you on cwo. The only bad thing is it doesn't have side mirrors. Do you happen to have any that i can buy off of you? or does anyone? its an 89 yj

NotMatt said:
Alright, who's coming over next weekend to help me swap the transmission and install the SYE? :D I'll provide beer and pizza, and I've got lots of space to sleep. :)

I would, but I'm super busy...:mad:

snowboarder2359 said:
i want to come see this madness. I am picking that jeep up tomorrow that i showed you on cwo. The only bad thing is it doesn't have side mirrors. Do you happen to have any that i can buy off of you? or does anyone? its an 89 yj

I don't have any mirrors unfortunately.

Give me a call tomorrow on your way back from Cle Elum if it's after 6:00 or so... I might be up there at my parents' place working on it, depending on whether the machine shop guy can get my knuckle in tomorrow or not. 293-0644.

yjkrawlin said:
looking good so far, id suggest another main leaf in your spring packs:D

Well... I REALLY don't want it to be any taller than it is right now... so I'm not keen on adding more leafs to the packs YET... there's not going to be much up-travel as it is because the stock YJ leafs run pretty flat at ride height.

I do realize I will probably destroy these stock springs in fairly short order... though I'm hoping that the anti-wrap bar I'm going to be building for the rear, and my conservative driving style will help me. Just have to be careful not to hit those front shackles on stuff and bend the front main leaf.

How much inversion on the leafs is ok when "stuffed"? Obviously it's not good for them to be inverted, where should I stop at when I measure for bumpstops?