• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

More Diesel ?'s

Cole1

Im looking at getting a powerstoke in the next couple months and have a few questions.

1. With the years im looking at getting they come with the 6.0 and ive read/heard many mixed results with them so ide like to hear from people on the board with experience first hand.

2. What MPG are you guys averaging with the 6.0 and what is the life expectancy of the truck? I dont plan on towing with it for a few years since I dont have any toys so it will just be DD'ing and im looking for something I can drive for the next 5-7 years.

3. What is a good forum to search about powerstrokes?

Any other help is appreciated since it is a good chunk of change ill be spending.

Thanks, Chris

IMHO, if you're not planning on towing---buy something cheaper, and that gets good mileage......

If you're dead set on getting a big truck to DD, there are things you can do (or may have already been done) to net good results life and mileagewise on the 6.0L;
you can research here www.thedieselgarage.com There's a lot of good info on just about every diesel pickup out there on here...

Get a 94.5 to 2002 powerstroke 5 spd 4x4 and drive it till the wheels fall off. you will get 17 mpg all day long! Would you make up your mind already!

You got mixed results on a 6.0L? I thought they were all **** holes along with the 6.4L :puke:

Powerstroke.org is what I use for info most of the time. I get in trouble cause I'm a hater:redneck:.

IMHO, if you're not planning on towing---buy something cheaper, and that gets good mileage......

If you're dead set on getting a big truck to DD, there are things you can do (or may have already been done) to net good results life and mileagewise on the 6.0L;
you can research here www.thedieselgarage.com There's a lot of good info on just about every diesel pickup out there on here...

Thanks Kev ill check out the site. Im not planning on towing now but I want to keep the truck for awhile and dont want to have to step up to a 1 ton in a year or 2. Ide rather spend the money on a bigger truck then I need now so when I do get toys that need to be towed again I can.

Tim- its really hard to find a 7.3 with lower miles. Im looking to get something with 60-80K. I checked out a few this past weekend and got approved for an 05' but it has 120k and is 21,995. I really wish I wasnt going to vegas next week or I probably would have drove it home:mad:

Whats a powerjoke? I thought all diesels were made by Cummins.

Real diesels are made by Cummins!, but Dodges suck dirty ballsack. real trucks are made by Ford! Go with a 7.3. Any 7.3 stroker around 120k is fine. worst thing you will have to ever do is injector harnesses or an injector or two. Or get a pos dodge and rebuild the front end twice a year, but then again you work at schwabs it would be easy:fawkdancesmiley:

6.0s are the devil in engine form btw.

Last edited:
Decided to pass on that chev chris?

And stay away from the 6.0's....

The one I was looking at sold yesterday:booo: Ive been weighing the pros and cons of getting a 1 ton diesel for a few months now vs a 1/2 ton. I think it will be a better choice in the long run to get a diesel so I dont need to upgrade my truck in a few years.

The one I was looking at sold yesterday:booo: Ive been weighing the pros and cons of getting a 1 ton diesel for a few months now vs a 1/2 ton. I think it will be a better choice in the long run to get a diesel so I dont need to upgrade my truck in a few years.

Well that blows..........

Have you driven a duramax yet?

Real diesels are made by Cummins!, but Dodges suck dirty ballsack. real trucks are made by Ford! Go with a 7.3. Any 7.3 stroker around 120k is fine. worst thing you will have to ever do is injector harnesses or an injector or two. Or get a pos dodge and rebuild the front end twice a year, but then again you work at schwabs it would be easy:fawkdancesmiley:

6.0s are the devil in engine form btw.

I agree if you are a die hard FERD guy, get a '03.5 or older. There are things that you can do to a 6L to live but who want's to throw a ton into a truck you just bought?

Eddy, don't throw stones about front ends, we average 60k mi on ball joints in our poopydoodies. Not great in my book.

Ive driven plenty of them but for the mileage im looking for there still alittle out of my price range. I like the feel of sitting in the chevy's better thou and if I found one in my price range ide really consider it.

Ive driven plenty of them but for the mileage im looking for there still alittle out of my price range. I like the feel of sitting in the chevy's better thou and if I found one in my price range ide really consider it.

The only reason I went with dodge was because the duramax was just too much for me to spend.

What do you need to tow that you half to have a diesel? 90% of people that own diesels do not use them for there intended use. By the sounds of it, you would be money ahead getting a gaser.

The 6.0 diesel no matter what anyone tells you is garbage. In fact we put a new injection pump on an 05 today with 131xxxmiles. Theres a reason there are class action lawsuits against the engine. It plain failed.

Get rid of the EGR crap and throw studs in that thing and they do fine. That's cheaper then replacing a tranny in the Dodge. One of the big issues with the Ford was soot buildup because people drove like a little bitch and didn't known how to use the throttle. They all have their issues, I can complain about any one of them. Just buy a truck that fits you and your price range and figure out the rest later as the time comes. I'll never own another gasser truck, but I like to tow and haul heavy too. Gassers do just fine if you just want to tow a wheeler around.

The 6.0 diesel no matter what anyone tells you is garbage. In fact we put a new injection pump on an 05 today with 131xxxmiles.
First, the 6.0L doesn't use an injection pump....They use a high pressure oil pump, so you're argument that they suck sucks! :fawkdancesmiley:Second, why'd it get replaced??? They typically don't just flat out fail... I've seen high pressure oil pump failure (leakage) at 40K, on the 7.3L and 6.0L....
ALL makes/eras have their issues...and these can be made into a reliable powerplant with a few mods one would do anyway when hopping them up....Not to mention, that if buying used it's possible all the expensive upgrade stuff's been done!

First, the 6.0L doesn't use an injection pump....They use a high pressure oil pump, so you're argument that they suck sucks! :fawkdancesmiley:Second, why'd it get replaced??? They typically don't just flat out fail... I've seen high pressure oil pump failure (leakage) at 40K, on the 7.3L and 6.0L....
ALL makes/eras have their issues...and these can be made into a reliable powerplant with a few mods one would do anyway when hopping them up....Not to mention, that if buying used it's possible all the expensive upgrade stuff's been done!

My cummins 12 valve has the stock injection pump in it and it has 200,000 miles.

The stock lift pump went out at 192,000 miles. Good thing it was only $70 for a factory carter pump.

Did I mention my injectors are stock? and my truck has no glow plugs to fail//replace too.

I love my cummins. :D

My cummins 12 valve has the stock injection pump in it and it has 200,000 miles.

Start saving your nickels that stock pump is good for 200K so now you're on borrowed time. :redneck:

The 12 valve is the best factory engine made IMO. In an afternoon you can tinker with one and crank out more power than any programmer could dream of. Too bad the truck its in is a piece of ****. :haha:

24 valve isn't too bad but it has issues with the lift pump and injection pump. It also likes the taste of camshaft position sensors but thats easy enough to replace.

The 6.ohshititblewupagain is a turd period. Soot buildup? hardly I'd bet cash money that wasn't why a good friend went through 4 engines, 3 in one truck and on in another. It was always something different that failed too. Complete and utter scrap metal.

The 7.3 is a great engine, I wouldn't be afraid to pick one up with around 150k any time. Just make damned sure you change the oil on time due to the oil pressure making the injectors fire.

The duraturd keeps crash busy so unless you have a fetish with visiting your local gm tech I'd avoid the car personally.

i have a friend with a 99 f350 crew cab for sale in olympia. it is a nice truck not sure of the miles. 360-280-1504 his name is evan