• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Msd ( Battery disconnect)

throttlejunkie

Anyone have any issues with their rig shutting off after a hard hit. Mine has been doing it more and more often. Ive got a sbf on propane, running the old msd 6al.
My thinking is the msd is not handling the blow anymore, anyone with an msd have this issue? Thoughts?

Re: Msd

I had a crappy TBI distributor that used to do that to my 401. Finally figured it out that a wire was loose. Ran great after that

You can send your box back to MSD and they will check It out for next to nothing. Its been a handful of years since I had one checked but I remember there turn around time was fairly fast.

Are you running a battery shutoff switch? I had the same problem on mine and that's what it turned out to be. Power is either on or off with the boxes and the red light will tell you that. thumb.gif

CHASMAN9 said:
Are you running a battery shutoff switch? I had the same problem on mine and that's what it turned out to be. Power is either on or off with the boxes and the red light will tell you that. thumb.gif

I am. The master kills everthing. You had a problem with yours cutting in and out? My runs like a raped ape, but any hard hit like bottoming out it kills it.

Theses are all good ideas i preciate it guys.

throttlejunkie said:
I am. The master kills everthing. You had a problem with yours cutting in and out? My runs like a raped ape, but any hard hit like bottoming out it kills it.

Theses are all good ideas i preciate it guys.

Yep, exactly the same. This happened to me multiple times racing. As soon as I would hit a rock, it would shut completely off and my ARC panel would flash on and off, and the motor would be dead. It would fire right back up and run again. Changed out the shutoff switch and have not had any problems since.

Re: Msd (Battery disconnect)

CHASMAN9 said:
Yep, exactly the same. This happened to me multiple times racing. As soon as I would hit a rock, it would shut completely off and my ARC panel would flash on and off, and the motor would be dead. It would fire right back up and run again. Changed out the shutoff switch and have not had any problems since.

Figured Id update this in case anyone else had these same problems. Chasman9 you were spot on ! I pulled the master kill switch tore it apart and found this. Moisture killed it. In a very short period of time.

Attachments

• Batter1.png
    Batter1.png
    347.1 KB · Views: 259
Cheap vatozone switch? I've got a pile of them that stopped working, cheaply made for sure.

Get you one of the nice marine grade ones. I'm sure someone has a link, I remember a thread about nice cutoffs a while back.

Blue sea marine makes some really nice ones, and they're not that expensive. I have one on my Juggy, and putting one on my single seater too.

Re: Msd (Battery disconnect)

throttlejunkie said:
Figured Id update this in case anyone else had these same problems. Chasman9 you were spot on ! I pulled the master kill switch tore it apart and found this. Moisture killed it. In a very short period of time.

Well glad you found the problem and getting it fixed. I have even gone as far as silicone sealing my marine grade switches as well just to be sure it won't happen again. thumb.gif

I had a new fairly new battery disconnect go bad in Harlan. As soon as I went to unload, dead. Finially got it out of trailer so I could diagnose. Once I found where the power was not passing (the positive battery disconnect), all I had to do was put both battery leads on the same terminal jumping out the switch. Then only used the negative battery disconnect for the rest of the trip. Upgraded both disconnects upon returning home.

Yeah its such a pain dealing with gremlins like that. I replaced it with a joes racing switch from summit. But if I ever relocate it where there is more space it'll have a marine grade fur sure.

fltruckwash said:
Just replaced mine as well. Same issue. Luckily I wasn't racing at the time. But for 30 bucks, it's worth keeping a spare in the box...

Sir, you are rough on ****. You need to carry about 10 of EVERYTHING. :rolf: