3rdlinkmount.jpg

14boltw-disks3.jpg

linkmountsfrontclose.jpg

rearsusp.jpg

motormount.jpg

Going to try to hit it hard this weekend and get it off the jack stands

DeleriousII said:
questions/comments/suggestions?
I think you're going to need a jimmy joint on the upper axle side of that triangulated wishbone control arm. What happens is the joint itself doesn't have the misalignment that you need so binds. If it's screwed in then threads themselves provide the misalignment you need but the jam nut loosens up and it fails. (Learned that the hard way) It's not like a 4 link where most of the articulation happens by just moving up and down. It's all in the twist of that joint.

Anyway, a jimmy joint has 60 degrees of misalignment. That should do the trick.

vanguard said:
I think you're going to need a jimmy joint on the upper axle side of that triangulated wishbone control arm. What happens is the joint itself doesn't have the misalignment that you need so binds. If it's screwed in then threads themselves provide the misalignment you need but the jam nut loosens up and it fails. (Learned that the hard way) It's not like a 4 link where most of the articulation happens by just moving up and down. It's all in the twist of that joint.

Anyway, a jimmy joint has 60 degrees of misalignment. That should do the trick.

Looks to me the wishbone arm is two pieces slid into one another at the joint, would that not be the "point of twist" so that it would not bind?

I would look into reverse shakle the front end.This should help in preventing broke or bend front springs

Opossum said:
Looks to me the wishbone arm is two pieces slid into one another at the joint, would that not be the "point of twist" so that it would not bind?
Ahh, now I get it. Don't mind me, nothing to see here, move along. :)

There is a piece of solid round-stock on there that allows the johnny joint to twist 360 degrees. My buddy learned that the joint alone didn't have enough twist and had to replace his with this set-up.

We got a lot more done this weekend and I will be posting more pics tomorrow.

we were orginally going to try to reverse shackle it but the front driveshaft angle at the diff was going to be severe so for now we are going to try it this way. We are not totally settled on it though. It will probably change before it is all said and done. We really wanted to do it quickly so that we could see how much the weight of the motor, tranny, and t-case would make the front end drop. Thanks for the ideas!

Yeah I got a great deal on the wheels and tires...I bought them mainly for the rims though...That is a dually front end and at this time I do not have the $$ to change the hubs and rotors so when my buddy told me about a set of wheels and tires for sale that had the offsets I needed I bought em...

Got the winch mounted tonite and am posting more pics in the morning...

Thanks for all the input guys...keep it comin!!! :)

pics of the latest progress:
Picture015.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Got to flex it up a little with a motor hoist to check a few clearance issues. Turns out there arent any clearance issues!

Going to buy an a**load of pipe tomorrow so we will have some great progress with the cage and body tubing by the end of the week.

Figured it would take 6 sticks of pipe to do my cage and body tubing...boy was I wrong, more like 8 so I have to buy more this week.

Parts are starting to roll in and they are keeping us busy.

Got the ram for my steering and started the mount for it. Waiting on the steering arms to finish the steering.

Started the console so that when the shifter arrives tomorrow we can get that done.

Seats are mounted and harnesses are soon to follow.

Bought wheels a while back to make up for the offset of the dually bud hubs on the front and yesterday ran across some SRW hubs for an excellent price so I am going to get them and have to buy new wheels, drive flanges, and chromo outers for that. New tires are also on the list.

Found a running TBI 350 with harness and computer for $400 so I am getting that this weekend.

I have my graduation party this sat and with the money from that I will be able to get a lot of the parts above.

I will post more pics tomorrow...Damn wife took the camera out of my truck without me knowing and didn't tell me.

It has been a while since I updated:

Plenty work put in and it is starting to get close to the test ride. The last few parts are being taken care of as we speak.

Need front d-shaft and brakes to make it driveable. Need exhaust but that will be easy.

Got the console/dash in and done. Hydro steering works great (3.5 turns lock to lock). Motor runs pretty damn good for a junkyard (buddy owns it) motor. Rear d-shaft was made yesterday. Underside and inside and cage painted black. Had a guy switch the necks on the stock radiator to the correct locations, clean, and pressure check it (it kept the 360 that was in it cool so I figure it might work for me).

The last few pieces of body tubing will get put on today. Very little wiring to do (winch, two guages, fuel pump, alternator). Pull the front gears for welding and then shove them back in. Fill front/rear diff and transfer case with gear oil. Strap down temporary boat tank. The little bit of body work that needs to be done and paint are going to have to wait for a week or two though.

Not too much left to do and I am so fawkin ready to finally drive this bish!!!