• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My CJ-5 Modifications....

So today I went down and picked up some steel so that I could continue the forward progress...

The front end of the frame is cleaned up; the center web has been cut to allow for the forward movement of the steering box and bracket

I will be extending the frame rails ends 3

Forward progress. Hard work is paying off.:awesomework:

thanks! it is finally nice to see something getting done for a change...

I have been going through withdrawls not being able to go out wheeling and just looking at the heep sitting in the driveway... broken...:booo:

but now, slowly, that is changing!! :cheer:

He stated he's adding "support braces" (fish plate i'm assuming...) Clarence...; :D
Looks good Man!!! Although I agree with ^^^^; :redneck:

Did you add a fish plate to the inside of the frame rail, or is it just butt welded?

Yes... will be added to both the outside and the inside before it is done...

I just ran out of time to get it cut out and installed last night...

but currently, the extension is just butt welded...

I will also be adding strapping to the bottom and the top (inside) the frame rails for extra support across the seams ans they take a lot of stress due to the spring and sterring box mounting locations..

:D

I will also be adding strapping to the bottom and the top (inside) the frame rails for extra support across the seams ans they take a lot of stress due to the spring and sterring box mounting locations..

:D

I don't know what steering box you are using, but one way to eliminate the torque stress from your steering box to your frame is to clamp a connecting rod (crank/rod) to your steering shaft housing. Then from the connecting rod across to the other frame rail with tubing.

I don't know what steering box you are using, but one way to eliminate the torque stress from your steering box to your frame is to clamp a connecting rod (crank/rod) to your steering shaft housing. Then from the connecting rod across to the other frame rail with tubing.

yeah.. I already have a steering brace (always put them on every CJ I have owned:;)

Are you boxing the new section as well? Good idea IMHO....:awesomework:

yes... it will get boxed after all the new mounting holes get drilled so that I can easily access the inside to weld on the new nuts for all of the mounting bolts.

Plus it will be braced from one side to the other which has always been something lacking on the old CJs...

then, of course, I have to figure out what I want to do for a new bumper.. haha

it never ends.... but that is all part of the fun!

Is it done yet????? :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:
:fawkdancesmiley:
:haha:

yeah.. of course it is all done...

didn't you see it???

:haha: