• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

naches/manastash memorial day???

And theres yet another huge problem that we face. They dont teach about motorized recreation in forestry programs. Most people that go to school to become foresters do so for their love of the forests. All they know is their aspect of it and theres no one to teach them about all of the "other" uses.
We (PNW4WDA) try and battle this issue by having good communication with the rangers and being involved in the process as things go. We also try and put together from time to time ride alongs as well as synposiums (sp) to try and educate them about our use. No matter what its a constant uphill battle just trying to get beyond the basics they learned in school.

Agreed.:cheer:

You're "guessing" that prosecution is even a possibility.....There's only so much they can do.

Like enforce the law? They know when and where a crime is going to occur. It could easily be video taped by a LEO and an arrest made. It would end in a plea bargin (most cases do) but if it happens a few times, word gets around. How long do you think it would take for people to start talking about staying out of that mud hole/meadow because yesterday a LEO arrested someone there? The effort isn't being made. Most LEO's I run into are on pavement with a few on the green dots, none on the trails. I spend a lot of time in the hills all year.

Like enforce the law? They know when and where a crime is going to occur. It could easily be video taped by a LEO and an arrest made. It would end in a plea bargin (most cases do) but if it happens a few times, word gets around. How long do you think it would take for people to start talking about staying out of that mud hole/meadow because yesterday a LEO arrested someone there? The effort isn't being made. Most LEO's I run into are on pavement with a few on the green dots, none on the trails. I spend a lot of time in the hills all year.

You obviously dont get it. The way "they" prosecute the people doing thea damage is with a closure. Its how its always been, and will always be. Unless your becoming a leo anytime soon?:looser:

What makes you think they can arrest anyone for recourse damage?

Typical old guy mentality.:hi:

Fact. The 70's are long gone get the **** over it and move into a modern era where tires are bigger obstacles are larger etc.

I'll keep beating the dead horse on this till people realize I'm right. It's not the tires that do the damage its the driver in control of them.

I do less damage on a muddy trail than anyone on 33's could ever dream of unless they winch through the entire trail. I idle through mudholes while others are forced to spin their smaller less aggressive tires to keep from winching. And UNLIKE so many others I don't wish to keep anyone off the trails that has the will to come play. :cheer:

Fact. The 70's are long gone get the **** over it and move into a modern era where tires are bigger obstacles are larger etc.

I'll keep beating the dead horse on this till people realize I'm right. It's not the tires that do the damage its the driver in control of them.

I do less damage on a muddy trail than anyone on 33's could ever dream of unless they winch through the entire trail. I idle through mudholes while others are forced to spin their smaller less aggressive tires to keep from winching. And UNLIKE so many others I don't wish to keep anyone off the trails that has the will to come play. :cheer:

:cheer:

i agree on the above, however it seems to me that everyone is complaining about tires, tires are the easyest thing to standardize, big or little. what about vehicle difference? a little zuki on 33s is going to go just as many places as a 4-runner on 36s or 37 so where does this put the tire argument now:rolleyes:

Luey, I'm scared.

You and I are so much on the same page now, that I couldn't find a single thing to comment on that you haven't already said.

Please, disagree with me on this, just so that we make sure that we're both still Ok LOL!

.. there is an article about the local trail closures in the paper today...

I tried to find a link, but I can't navigate the paper website very well apparently.

Is this what you were looking for Poohbair?
http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories...-until-june-15

Motorized vehicle use on some trails not legal until June 15
by Scott Sandsberry
Yakima Herald-Republic

NACHES, Wash. -- As expected, trails on the Okanogan and Wenatchee national forests won't be open to motorized use until June 15, well after Memorial Day weekend campers annually fill up Forest Service campgrounds hoping to ride their four-wheelers, ATVs, horses and mountain bikes.

But the closure order announced Thursday afternoon -- designed to prevent damage to trails still wet from spring rain and snow -- was different than the one floated before user groups several weeks ago.

The order closes motorized trails to motorized use but doesn't prohibit horseback riding or mountain biking, uses that had initially been considered part of the closure.

The order also says the closure will remain in effect until June 15 unless posted signs indicate those trails are open, which means some areas could open sooner if they dry out.

The likelihood of that happening, though, is minimal in light of higher-than-normal snowpack levels.

The rule, approved Thursday by Forest Supervisor Becki Heath at the recommendation of Naches and
Cle Elum officials, was made necessary "just by the resource damage" of earlier trail usage, Naches District Ranger Irene Davidson said.

"When it's wet in the early spring and people go out and use the four-by-four trails, they leave these large ruts and (work crews) spend the rest of the summer repairing them," Davidson said.

"And we've all talked about the 'two-percenters' (the minority of the trail users who cause the problems). Those individuals that cause the damage are not the ones who end up repairing that damage so they can have a quality experience on those trails."

The extended closure period on trails that have traditionally opened in time for Memorial Day weekend came at the urging of organized motorized trail-use groups.

"Many motorized user groups are showing support for the seasonal closure because they help maintain these trails and they don't want to see them tore up," said Cle Elum District Ranger Judy Hallisey.

"They were the ones who were the most concerned; they were the ones who brought the issue up," added Davidson. "We're working with them and with the Backcountry Horsemen in terms of making decisions on the future, on what trails may be closed to them and when."

Which motorized user groups are supporting this closure? They keep talking about repairing trails, let them become what they are and people wheel them if they can. Not every vehicle has to be able to make a trail.

The part that sucks is there is still not enough rangers to go around even though the trails are closed so the people who are uneducated are still going to be out tearing up the trails. :mad:

Who would have thought the horse people would be excluded from the trail closures?Thats bullshit but then again they are probably not bagging for trail closures like the jeep community.but I believe they all have the same kind of tires though.

They stated in the article that keeping a quality experience for people is one of the rationals for the closure. My quality experience is when a trail is more difficult. But I agree, it comes down to the definition of damage.