• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need opinions on near future build

mcbadwish

Well I've been away from wheeling for 6 or 7 years now and I'm going to get back into it. I have a 87 extended cab Toyota 2wd. I'm thinking f150 springs front and rear, 4.3 and th350 to toy t case lifted to close to a flat belly, 35's or 36's, and Toyota axles. The thing is I don't have Toyota axles but I do have a set of 60's High pinion Ford front and a disc break rear out of a van I also assume I could probably find a set of toy axles this weekend at the swapmeet. I also do have a chevy 350 along with a 700r4. Im not sure what combo I should run. I still want to be able to wheel it at Evans creek and not have it be overly capable which probably sounds dumb but most of my buddies have mild builds. Im thinking 4.3 to keep weight and power down for the poor Toyota axles. Any advice would be great.

I would go with whatever makes it lightest and lowest overall. Definitely Toyota axles so you could run small tires if you choose to keep things fun. I definitely wouldn't build anything to run bigger than 36s as most of the trails around the area are pretty boring above that.

Do you snow wheel?

But my opinion isn't worth much, I sold my wheeler and ride a dual sport now.:fawkdancesmiley:

Yes I like snow wheeling too. Don"t think I have missed much of that over the years lol I sold my snowmobile because of lack of snow. Im thinking light too and toyota axles.

Forget about the toy axles unless you have a 22re.

Even a 4.3 is too heavy and powerful for toy axles.

Use the sbc350 and either the th350 or 700r4 and then go either ford np205 or 203/fordnp205 and use that hipinion up front and whatever out back.

DONE. You dont need to be light when you have HORSEPOWER in the snow. Crawling on snow is (yawn).

If you do the 4.3/th350 make sure to go 23 spline in the cases and use a rcv output. I was breaking tcase parts pretty often with mine. Toy axles are fine unless you go full retard often. Stick with 4.10's and you'll be able to beat it pretty good. Mine has 5.29's on 38.5/15 cut boggers and I kill a ring gear every once in a while. Don't go toy cases expecting to save money, by the time you buy all the adapters and upgrades you could have a 203/205.

Keep toyota with toyota and chevys with tons. Power to weight for each is what there rated for best way I can word it. Me I have a v8 4runner basically buggy on 44s, it built to handle the NW and not be fixing on the trail. Kids method? What your intending on doing with the rig is how you build

Not a yota guy but I l know the trails around here. 36-37 inch tires. Not a lot of power needed unless you like the Elbe tank traps. A good all around rig fits 90 percent of the trails. Leave the 10 percent more for video taking of buggys. You will be happy. :awesomework:

Hmm maybe I will just weld mounts back in it for a 22re. I bought it stripped of the motor mounts and efi stuff. Now im thinking I should just buy a truck I would probably be money ahead

I have 3 Toyota wheelers, 1- 22r 1-22re 1-Vortec 4.3 all with duals and 5.29 toy axles and 38-40" tires. While the 4.3 is fun to beat on if I had to do it over again I don't think I'd bother. It really doesn't go anywhere the 4cyl truck won't go and I have a lot more money into it. I actually enjoy wheeling my 1st gen on 38x12.5's the most. It's getting an RE put in it and will be my go to wheeler when done.

I have 3 Toyota wheelers, 1- 22r 1-22re 1-Vortec 4.3 all with duals and 5.29 toy axles and 38-40" tires. While the 4.3 is fun to beat on if I had to do it over again I don't think I'd bother. It really doesn't go anywhere the 4cyl truck won't go and I have a lot more money into it. I actually enjoy wheeling my 1st gen on 38x12.5's the most. It's getting an RE put in it and will be my go to wheeler when done.

That is a fun rig. Glad to hear is still getting used.