• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New build vs rebuild???

Red97

I know I can't be the only one to debate this.

New chassis vs rebuild

Currently have this lil pos. Bought it just as you see it last year $1200
175k 1.6 8v 3 speed auto gm hydro assist. Spooled 5.13 axles 4.24 t case 89" wb 21" belly 76" wide 35" baja claws

So far it has done everything I have asked of it. Sucks for steep climbs/ledges and front leafs kill the approach only 2 seat.

Currently building some upgraded axles. Plan on making an adaptor to run a toy doubler on the 3sp auto.
Have all the stuff to convert to full hydro steering

What I want is 105 wb 18" belly 80" width 35-37" tires linked and 4 seat rear mainly for kids/ short skinny people.

From those that have been in this position before, should I just chop up what I have (firewall buggy)? Or keep it wheel able build a new chassis and swap needed parts over?

Which way is actually quicker/easier to accomplish?

Thank you.

I was in that situation last year. Only it was with firewall buggy that I already had hundreds of hours into. I was not happy with where my front axle was in relation to my engine (for weight reasons and uptravel), even though my front axle was already pushed forward 6". It really bothered me. ..And the platform I had was not kind working quarters for a 4 link up front, so I built a 3 link. Which it did a pretty good job but it was not what I wanted. There was lots of plating for strength on the frame which adds weight. Last but certainly not least is simply the cleanliness of the project. Box tube, or round tube gives you a strong, extremely clean blank slate in which to work from.

Part of it is myself, not being content for too long with any offroad project. I'm always looking for the next challenge in the shop. Not everybody is like that though. I'm about sick of being in there right now for that matter. :****:

nhl_bullitt said:
I was in that situation last year. Only it was with firewall buggy that I already had hundreds of hours into. I was not happy with where my front axle was in relation to my engine (for weight reasons and uptravel), even though my front axle was already pushed forward 6". It really bothered me. ..And the platform I had was not kind working quarters for a 4 link up front, so I built a 3 link. Which it did a pretty good job but it was not what I wanted. There was lots of plating for strength on the frame which adds weight. Last but certainly not least is simply the cleanliness of the project. Box tube, or round tube gives you a strong, extremely clean blank slate in which to work from.

Part of it is myself, not being content for too long with any offroad project. I'm always looking for the next challenge in the shop. Not everybody is like that though. I'm about sick of being in there right now for that matter. :****:

I have been going back an fourth with ideas for the last month.
The gf dosent like the technical trails and we have a 7 month old son I would like to eventually be able to bring along.
Thought bout trying to make the tracker street legal again lol, for 2 tracking/ sand dunes. Nah..
Have a zj awaiting a 8.8 swap. Add some long arms and 35's would make a decent mild trail runner and stay street legal.
Then I remembered I have this gem

97 k1500 D60 35 spline outers 10.25 4.56 hydro assist 35's the little guy would be able to fit for the next 8-10 years easy for mild trails/dunes.

So I am planning on swapping in the 8.8 to the jeep, sell it to fund new "buggy/rebuild" project

Said screw it, I am going to build something mainly for "me" but still want 2 buckets/small bench if the little guy ends up liking off roading.

But not sure if a rebuild is better or new build. If a build takes too long "ADOS" (attention deficit ohhh shiny) kicks in and I sell it off for the next new project.

Weather its a new build or rebuild, I am gathering/assembling all the major parts before I start.