• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

new homeowner grade riding mower

y2knole

Ive got a 42" rear engine snapper thats probalby 30 years old. when I got it, the frame was busted in two. buddy helped me weld it up with some angle iron and ive used it now for 10 years. Starts on the first pull every time and runs like a dream.

Everything else though is wore the hell out. deck is patched and scabed together, and lately the clutch and shifter linkage is all FUBAR'd up and its just time to be retired.

So whats the best bet in the $1200 to $1700 range? Should be end of season riding mower sale time too...

Deere? Cub Cadet? some sears outlet craftsman stuff?

I dont need the best damn thing but something that wll be a good value and work for an hour a week for the next 10 years without any abuse or drama.

IMHO this day and time you can't spend 2k and get a good mower like you could 10plus years ago. Ask JD the difference between the cheap John Deere and the nicer real John Deere made mower. You get what you pay for this day and time you got to spend a lot more. I understand you don't need the best but to last 10yr with min cost outside of maintenance you got to spend more money

86chevota said:
IMHO this day and time you can't spend 2k and get a good mower like you could 10plus years ago. Ask JD the difference between the cheap John Deere and the nicer real John Deere made mower. You get what you pay for this day and time you got to spend a lot more. I understand you don't need the best but to last 10yr with min cost outside of maintenance you got to spend more money

while it aint what I wanted to hear, appreciate the advice! :****:

and so I can comfortably fit thru the gates between my front and back yards, dont want more than a 42" deck so that rules out some of the big dawg $$$ models..

y2knole said:
and so I can comfortably fit thru the gates between my front and back yards, dont want more than a 42" deck so that rules out some of the big dawg $$$ models..

That's easy to fix bigger gates :****:

For your price range I'd go with the John Deere such as they have at Lowes. They are good mowers and will last you with just some proper maintenance and not abused. I had one for around 12 years with few issues and had well over 800 hours on it. Regular oil changes and kept clean and in a shed.

The big difference between the lower and more expensive Deere models, and most brands I would bet, is the higher priced ARE better but also "rebuildable". When I say that I mean wheel bearings instead of bushings, better power steering instead of linkage style, higher quality decks and gearboxes.

As said you get what you pay for but also a little care goes a long way

I looked all over the place. At every brand and every model. At $2k and down, I've decided they're all basically the same thing. And I still haven't bought a mower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

I found a cub cadet i want and have been thinking about getting. Its around 1400 at home depot. Lots of great reviews. Ive been checking craigslist for a good used one too.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I've owned cheap to expensive and 5 years ago I went a different route. I buy that dirt cheapest equipment I can find and then add the best longest warranty that the store offers. I have had 3 push mowers since then and not paid for one. Lowes is great. they refund your mower price and then the prorated difference on the warranty and you get to buy a brand new mower and start with a fresh new warranty. On my riding mower I found a 42" Huskie at Tractor Supply for $899. Then I bought the 4 year warranty for $160. They do all the maintenance and service work.

Jeep Family said:
I've owned cheap to expensive and 5 years ago I went a different route. I buy that dirt cheapest equipment I can find and then add the best longest warranty that the store offers. I have had 3 push mowers since then and not paid for one. Lowes is great. they refund your mower price and then the prorated difference on the warranty and you get to buy a brand new mower and start with a fresh new warranty. On my riding mower I found a 42" Huskie at Tractor Supply for $899. Then I bought the 4 year warranty for $160. They do all the maintenance and service work.

this guy right here: http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/huskee-42-in-420cc-lawn-tractor

like it?

inthis price range some of em have hydrostatic drive and the cheaper ones dont... do or dont I want that?

86chevota said:

Meh, sounds like he is mowing about what I mowed the last 6 years.

Here's my opinion. Back in 2010 I bought a brand new John Deere LA115 42" cut with like a 17hp single cylinder Briggs engine from Lowes. I just sold it about a month ago when I bought a real John Deere with Kawi vtwin engine and 54" deck because I have about 5 more acres to mow now. But for the last 6 years, I've just used it to mow my half acre lot and it has been perfect. I didn't do **** to it but change oil put gas in it for 6 years, then changed blades on it this year before I ended up buying a new one. I gave $1700 for it out the door brand new with warranty. Think the ones at Lowes now (different model number now) are in about the same price range. I wouldn't hesitate a bit to buy another one just like it if all I had to mow was 1 acre or less at home.

They can be found on Craigslist just a few years old with low hours for pretty cheap too, but you may miss out on some of the warranty. I sold mine for $700 and it only had like 85 hours on it and in fantastic cosmetic and mechanical shape. Engine still ran perfect, crunk swiftly on the first try every time. They are not commercial mowers, so they are not the "best", BUT they are fine for a low use residential mower, and would be a hell of an upgrade over your antique snapper.

For instance, here's a Lowes John Deere with Briggs engine like the one I had in mint condition for $900

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/grd/5755142680.html

BUT, you can step up to the real John Deeres similar to the one I bought with a long lasting Kawi engine and just better built from bumper to bumper, and this even has a bagger, for $1500 used and in good shape.

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/grd/5751673372.html

The X series mowers are the real Deeres with Kawi engines, a big step up in quality and performance from the ones sold at big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot. I can also tell you that the Kawi twin engines are badass compared to the single Briggs, more torque to just haul ass through thick grass and keep on cutting. If you are buying used and can afford one, I'd try to find a good X300 or similar model in the $1500 range. If you don't think all that will matter much, you can easily find a used big box store Deere for under a grand.

thumb.gif

Pics of my old mower and new bigger mower

8e159fc5ede6bf93fa1ddcedb71bf5f2.jpg

dc2c359587daeb4fedd618491de0c08e.jpg

3aeaf73cb310e38af89010b70ef2f3d2.jpg

I inherited a craftsman from my grandfather been using it since i was a kid. It has a kohler v-twin and 6 speed.
My father has a name brand john deere he bought about ohh i'd say about 10-12 years ago. It has been a great mower but they have cut corners over the years. My craftsman has all metal pulley's my dad just replaced both his belts and three plastic pulley's. One had completey destroyed itself. But still not bad for nothing but oil changes for 10-12 years.

Re: Re: new homeowner grade riding mower

y2knole said:
inthis price range some of em have hydrostatic drive and the cheaper ones dont... do or dont I want that?
If I were going to buy a cheap one, I would get manual trans. For long lasting I feel they are more dependable than the cheap nonservicable hydro units.

All ur bottom end mowers are made by mtd, they just put different plastic and different colors, I think the cub cadets are on the higher end quality wise on cheap mowers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk