• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ol school points

Hip

in my day of building my hotrod mustang the cool thing to get rid of points in the distributer was to replace them with a photo cell.

:wtf:what is the current cool setup for an ol school car to remove the points?

this is in a 70 mustang im trying to help the kid fix up his pony. we put in a photo cell and it keeps going out.:redneck:

he dont have much money so we dont want to replace the entire setup with a MSD or something expensive just want to remove the points.

Pertronics.

Just be careful you wire it correctly depending on if your coil requires a ballast resistor or not. Or just buy a new coil that has the ballast resistor built in and ditch the big ceramic resistor bolted to the firewall.

looked at jeggs version and it looks like it still uses the original dist cap and rotor?

do you have one?

Pertronix are nice. I've put several sets in and I used to sell the shiat out of them when slinging parts.

Yes they use the stock distributor and all which is a good feature so you dont have to confuse the dumb parts monkey at vatozone when it comes time for a tune up.

sweet thanks for the info guys this is what makes this place rock.....:awesomework:

Just got the pertronics setup for my chevelle. Going to install this weekend. Looks pretty easy hope it works like they say.

One of the nice things about the petronics unit is you can just keep the whole points plate as a spare. If it fails its Real easy to switch over if needed.

751-71281.jpg

Ignition Box Performance Without the Box!
The Pertronix Ignitor III is the advanced points replacement kit. It is literally an ignition box inside your distributor. It features multiple sparks throughout the entire RPM range and a high resolution REV limiter accurate to +/- 50 RPM which is set by the user. The Pertronix Ignitor III module generates 5 times more spark than points. This of course means more spark energy creating more horsepower and better mileage

Features & Benefits: Adaptive dwell maintains peak energy throughout the entire RPM range, reducing misfires while improving engine performance
Peak current level is reached just prior to spark for maximum energy without the heat build-up, increasing coil performance and module reliability
Adjusts spark timing at higher RPMs to compensate for the inherent electronic delay
Senses startup and develops more energy for quicker, easier starting
Senses crank orientation from either the distributor cam lobe or a PerTronix magnet sleeve
Thermal clad surface mount construction for high performance reliability
Memory safe function for user settings
LED user feedback for rev limit confirmation
Built-in reverse polarity and over current protection shuts down the system, preventing component damage
Legal in all 50 states and Canada (C.A.R.B. E.O. #D-57-8)

ordered from jegs last night. there are some cheaper ones but we wanted the rev limiter feature :redneck: